Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2023, 08:05 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the Fox54 website:

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey announced three major interstate construction projects Thursday, including the widening of Interstate 65 in Shelby County.

Ivey announced the $500 million in construction projects during a news conference in Hoover. The largest project is the widening of I-65 from Alabaster to Calera. The stretch of roadway south of Birmingham is often congested with commuter and commercial traffic. The project is expected to increase the width of the interstate from two lanes each way to three lanes each way __ jumping from four lanes to six overall.

The project, which includes multiple bridges over rail tracks and roadways, will cost an estimated $300 million, according to Ivey's office.

“It was exciting to think about this announcement as I drove up 65 this morning, seeing the progress we are making around Clanton and the progress we have already made around Alabaster," Ivey said. “Improving Alabama’s infrastructure is one of my top priorities as governor.”

The widening of Interstate 65, which runs from the Tennessee-Alabama state line to Mobile, has emerged as a political issue. Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth said the state should make it a priority to widen all of I-65 to six lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 08:20 PM

857 posts, read 584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I saw this on the Fox54 website:

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey announced three major interstate construction projects Thursday, including the widening of Interstate 65 in Shelby County.

Ivey announced the $500 million in construction projects during a news conference in Hoover. The largest project is the widening of I-65 from Alabaster to Calera. The stretch of roadway south of Birmingham is often congested with commuter and commercial traffic. The project is expected to increase the width of the interstate from two lanes each way to three lanes each way __ jumping from four lanes to six overall.

The project, which includes multiple bridges over rail tracks and roadways, will cost an estimated $300 million, according to Ivey's office.

“It was exciting to think about this announcement as I drove up 65 this morning, seeing the progress we are making around Clanton and the progress we have already made around Alabaster," Ivey said. “Improving Alabama’s infrastructure is one of my top priorities as governor.”

The widening of Interstate 65, which runs from the Tennessee-Alabama state line to Mobile, has emerged as a political issue. Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth said the state should make it a priority to widen all of I-65 to six lanes.

Everyone is calling for 6-laning I-65 from Tennessee to Huntsville but none a single person has stated how its gonna be done, if the Bayway is any indication, expanding the EO Wilson Bridge (I-65 bridge over Mobile Delta) will be a billion dollar project on its own

Old 09-05-2023, 05:34 AM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Everyone is calling for 6-laning I-65 from Tennessee to Huntsville but none a single person has stated how its gonna be done, if the Bayway is any indication, expanding the EO Wilson Bridge (I-65 bridge over Mobile Delta) will be a billion dollar project on its own
I've not been down that way in a while, but between Montgomery and Mobile was almost void of traffic. Has that increased to the point of needing 6 lanes?

Do we have a may showing the new Bay Bridge and how it ties into 65 improvements? I don't have a visual of where the new bridge will be. Does it replace the existing tunnel?

Also, does 65 north of Athens really need widening to 6 lanes now? There doesn't seem to be a heavy traffic load.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:31 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I've not been down that way in a while, but between Montgomery and Mobile was almost void of traffic. Has that increased to the point of needing 6 lanes?

Do we have a may showing the new Bay Bridge and how it ties into 65 improvements? I don't have a visual of where the new bridge will be. Does it replace the existing tunnel?

Also, does 65 north of Athens really need widening to 6 lanes now? There doesn't seem to be a heavy traffic load.
Between Montgomery and Mobile during the travel season has traffic jams almost daily. I have been stuck in almost standstill traffic around Greenville several times.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:32 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:

I have to drive to Mobile on business a couple of times a month. Sometimes it is indeed empty, as you say. But other times it's not, even on days not bracketing a beach weekend. There have been times when northbound has been awful.

However, one thing to take into account is not passenger traffic but truck traffic. As the port of Mobile continues to try upping its profile, it will need the necessary interstate capacity to accommodate truck traffic.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:10 AM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
However, one thing to take into account is not passenger traffic but truck traffic. As the port of Mobile continues to try upping its profile, it will need the necessary interstate capacity to accommodate truck traffic.

I-10 is definitely feeling this effect.

I think the 65 widening is needed most between Montgomery and Birmingham at the moment.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I-10 is definitely feeling this effect.

I think the 65 widening is needed most between Montgomery and Birmingham at the moment.
Agree, based on the last time I've been there being 2 years ago. And that seems to be what ALDOT is doing.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:31 PM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Agree, based on the last time I've been there being 2 years ago. And that seems to be what ALDOT is doing.
I think there is almost 3 million or right at 3 million that reside between the two.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:25 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Agreed with expansion between Birmingham and Montgomery. However, I too have been stuck in traffic south of Montgomery on the way to/from the beach. Good points about the uptick at Port of Mobile.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I have to drive to Mobile on business a couple of times a month. Sometimes it is indeed empty, as you say. But other times it's not, even on days not bracketing a beach weekend. There have been times when northbound has been awful.

Excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama