Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 06:50 PM

654 posts, read 590,680 times

Advertisements

Good to hear that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 03:00 PM

1,018 posts, read 641,560 times
Wouldn't it be nice if you could just move somewhere and be a good neighbor and let your actions and behavior be what defines you instead of feeling like you have to announce allegiance to some group up front to let others know who should and shouldn’t bother to have anything at all to do with you?

Old 06-06-2023, 07:48 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if you could just move somewhere and be a good neighbor and let your actions and behavior be what defines you instead of feeling like you have to announce allegiance to some group up front to let others know who should and shouldn’t bother to have anything at all to do with you?
Yeah, but that would require effort. It's much easier to virtue signal.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 27,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
That's the one we'll be stopping at! Simple things thrill me and I can't wait to move to a state that's more conservative than blue NY. No I'm not bringing any liberal views down with me - I'm leaving the Democratic party.

Awesome! What part of NY are you moving from? I'm originally from New England. We are living in TX now. Looking at a move to AL. If you can let us know how the move goes.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:48 AM

11,795 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballrmdanz777 View Post
Awesome! What part of NY are you moving from? I'm originally from New England. We are living in TX now. Looking at a move to AL. If you can let us know how the move goes.
We're moving from Western New York - a suburb of Buffalo to Deatsville near Montgomery. We're renting a Penske truck and have sold all the furniture so we're only bring household items, cloths and computers down. We'll make it a 2 day trip - stopping overnight near the Kentucky border.

We've visited my son in Deatsville many times so am familiar a bit with the area. I also joined a FB group in the area and have had suggestions for vets, doctors ect as well as an invite to a women's group that helps new residents get settled and let's them know what's in the area.

Looking forward to nicer weather - low taxes - and different politics.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 12,599 times
To the OP, welcome to the Bama board here, War Eagle! Just curious about the reason for the move: job, retirement, health, nearby family members, etc. Regardless, Good Luck with the move!

The economic, political, cultural and social contrasts between New York and Bamaland are likely to begin being noticed pretty quickly upon your move here. In addition to the lower taxes and lower cost of living in Bama, the effort & pace required to live here is considerably less than in large metropolitan and "world" cities. Depending on the places / cities you've lived and the associated life experiences, the modernity of what you see / sense / feel as you travel through Bama, settle into Deatsville and visit surrounding areas may also "blip" on your radar.

With summer basically at hand, Lake Martin being just 45 minutes from Deatsville is worth checking out. Atlanta, and in turn, access to the rest of the country & the world is a quick, easy 3 hour drive up I-85. And, if you enjoy ocean / beach stuff, you can be on Panama City Beach in about 4 hours.

Don't know if it's true or not but, I've heard it said many times so I'll pass it along: In Alabama, don't be the reason the Cops come!

Again, good luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: