Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2023, 10:27 PM

123 posts, read 231,648 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Alabama and was wanting opinions on the following towns Phenix City, and Thomasville, I have job opportunities in both which should I consider or neither one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 05:53 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,167,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RARAM2 View Post
I am relocating to Alabama and was wanting opinions on the following towns Phenix City, and Thomasville, I have job opportunities in both which should I consider or neither one.
Phenix City.

It has much more going for it all around.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:47 AM

865 posts, read 591,276 times
Depends what you want, Thomasville is fairly remote while Phenix City is a suburb of Columbus, Georgia. Thomasville is about an hour and half away from Mobile, which is gonna offer more amenities than Columbus.... but again in Phenix City your practically in Columbus

Old 05-13-2023, 01:10 PM

204 posts, read 135,774 times
Thomasville's website isn't exactly up to date (which may tell you something about the place) but it impressed me. I'd never even heard of Thomasville before this thread.

City of Thomasville - Home

Phenix City, OTOH, had quite a reputation 50-odd years ago, and not a particularly good one. But that was half a century ago. Hopefully things have improved. (Although Fort Benning is still right across the river.)

https://phenixcityal.us/

Old 05-14-2023, 06:23 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,904 times
I’m half an hour from Phoenix City. I’m not certain of the attraction of it. Thomasville, while somewhat remote, seems to be a nice, small town. I have two relatives who teach there and they seem to really love it. If you have young kids who are into sports, Thomasville seems to have a lot to offer.

You really need to visit both.

Edit: Phoenix City operates in the Eastern Time zone, if that matters. The majority of the rest of the state is Central.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:29 AM

537 posts, read 446,491 times
Let me just say there are other towns/cities and regions within the state that may be more livable. Expand your search.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:54 AM

71 posts, read 62,568 times
I’m pretty sure that they are both livable areas. Anyway, as suggested above visit both places. Then pick your poison.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:49 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
It depends on what you're looking for.

Phenix City is much larger and is a part of a large metro area (Columbus, GA), while Thomasville is extremely rural.

Phenix City has way more amenities, but it also has more of the issues you'll find in a larger city (crime, etc).

Old 06-10-2023, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 12,599 times
If, your only choices are limited to either Phenix City & Thomasville, I suggest Phenix City. I lived just over the state line in Columbus, Georgia for about 10 years so I have familiarity with Phenix City. It's a typical Alabama small town and has a significant sized rural aspect to it.

Instead on settling for Phenix City, given Columbus, Georgia is just 10 to 15 minutes away, I recommend living there as Columbus has a both a much larger & stronger economy than PC. It also has about 6X the population of Phenix City (approx 215k in the city and about 350k in the overall metro area. Employment opportunities, schools, housing, the overall modernity of the city, its amenities and etc all far surpass those of Phenix City. It'll cost more to live in Columbus than PC but, citizens get much more in return.

If you go with Phenix City, learning the main travel routes is fairly simple. The 280 Bypass is the north-south artery around the city. From it, one can be in south Columbus via I-185 in about 10 minutes, the north end of Columbus in about 15 minutes via US-80 which connects to I-185. Additionally, from the 280 Bypass, one can hop on US-431 South and be in Panama City Florida in under 4 hours.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: