Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 01:36 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,604 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have 5 days to spend in either location while our kids are in space camp. We like coffee shops, bookstores, independent shops and restaurants. Searching for safe, diverse liberal pockets. Not religious or into bars. We are doing the Civil Rights Trail the following week with our kids, so this week will just be for chilling out. Chattanooga is our back-up plan, but first I'm wondering if either town in Alabama has what we are seeking? And if so, specifically which neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 06:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Birmingham punches way above its weight in terms of restaurants with a fantastic dining scene. While it's all relative, Birmingham is also more way blue than Huntsville, kind of a lilac. That being said, if you have a week to kill, I'd split my time between Birmingham and Chattanooga. That's not a slam on Huntsville. It's just that there's not a lot to keep a tourist engaged outside of the Space and Rocket Center.

Birmingham has a terrific Civil Rights Museum, a good art museum, some fine nature parks, the world's largest motorcycle museum (it's like the Guggenheim for gear heads. Even if bikes aren't your thing, just go), etc. But I don't know if there's enough to do here to kill an entire week. But, just in case, https://www.birminghamal.org/travel-guide/

Although a lot has to do with when you're here. For example, if you're here in early July, the World Games will be held in Birmingham. It's kind of like the Olympics for youth. It's going to be a big deal: https://twg2022.com/ Or, if you two enjoy football, the USFL will be playing all its games in town. And the Barons crank up in April for minor league baseball fun.

Another idea if you're looking to chill out a day or two is to try a couple of the local state parks. Guntersville State Park is pretty amazing and won't cost you an arm and a leg. https://www.alapark.com/parks/lake-g...lle-state-park

Hope this helps with your planning.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 02-11-2022 at 06:38 AM..

Old 02-11-2022, 09:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Birmingham is a far more interesting city than Huntsville.

It's really not even close.

Five Points South has the most going on as far as restaurants. The museum at the Vulcan statue is actually pretty interesting. You can pair that with a visit to Sloss Furnaces.

To go along with what MinivanDriver said, Oak Mountain State Park is worth a visit too.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:29 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,230,662 times
Can you do both? Neither city will keep you engaged for 5 full days, unless you're looking to get under the surface and really explore.

If your kids are going to Space Camp, it sounds like you'll already be in Huntsville for part of the time. I'd use that day to see the US Space and Rocket Center, and then maybe check out downtown Huntsville or another attraction (a Huntsville forumer could point you in a good direction... maybe Campus 805, Stovehouse or Lowe Mill? I haven't been to any of them but those seem to come up frequently). While not particularly large, downtown has some historic areas and neighborhoods. And Big Spring Park is a nice little oasis in the middle of it.

Then spend 3 days in Birmingham. The cities are only 1.5 hours apart, if that. Pretty easy drive. Sounds like you have the Civil Rights trail planned, so hopefully Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute and Kelly Ingram Park are already on that itinerary. I'd stay downtown (the Elyton, Redmont, or the newly opened Kelly Hotel) and enjoy any of the numerous restaurants and bars along 1st / 2nd Ave N, or 20th St. I'll second the art museum - it's free! And while they aren't really my thing (and depending on the time of year), the Birmingham Zoo and the Botanical Gardens are popular attractions as well. Birmingham's most famous (and unique) attraction is Vulcan... the largest cast iron statue in the world. More impressive is its setting, as it sits on top of Red Mountain overlooking downtown. I think it's a must for first-time visitors. As for neighborhoods, most are strictly residential so you'd likely just find yourself driving through them. However, Southside / 5 points, Highland Park, Forest Park and Avondale all have a decent mix of commercial and residential areas. Also check out one of Mountain Brook Village, Crestline Village or English Village in the posh over-the-mountain suburb of Mountain Brook. As for coffee shops and independent bookstores, Crestwood has both and is fairly close to downtown. And yes... Barber Motorsports Museum is unlike anything you've ever seen, even if you have no interest in motorcycles or cars.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:33 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Can you do both?
Agree with this. Its a quick drive. I've spent time in each (albeit 2-3 night overnights for business). If I had to pick, I'd pick Birmingham, but I do enjoy Huntsville.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:23 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
My husband and I have 5 days to spend in either location while our kids are in space camp. We like coffee shops, bookstores, independent shops and restaurants. Searching for safe, diverse liberal pockets. Not religious or into bars. We are doing the Civil Rights Trail the following week with our kids, so this week will just be for chilling out. Chattanooga is our back-up plan, but first I'm wondering if either town in Alabama has what we are seeking? And if so, specifically which neighborhoods?

Thanks!
I take it you are from Seattle? If so, just know this. "Safe" and "diverse liberal" are much more mutually exclusive in Birmingham than they are in Seattle. You know how all the folks set up autonomous zones with no police in the PNW? Well, pull that around here and they'd have all gotten robbed or killed. There is marked danger if you don't know where you are and the places to avoid.

But to answer your question - Birmingham is the easy choice for what you want, out of those two cities. Huntsville is much more new and suburban.

All that said, I'd go north to Nashville.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:15 AM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Go to Rocket City. It's safer, and it has some underrated gems. There is a state park very close by (you can reach it by car in 10 minutes from Downtown), Monte Sano State Park. There is Big Spring Park in Downtown. Want to watch hockey? Huntsville has that. Huntsville Havoc. U.S. Space and Rocket Center. Towards the Tennessee River is Ditto Landing.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:24 PM

1,017 posts, read 638,599 times
Lol at these people trying to scare you talking about safety. You won't be in any unexpected or unreasonable danger visiting Birmingham in any of the places already mentioned than you would in any other major city in this country... or Huntsville.

There are more unique things to do and see in Birmingham including hockey. Depending on when you are coming maybe you can check out a Barons game or a Stallions game. Red mountain park, Ruffner mountain, and oak mountain park offer plenty of natural beauty. If you just want a quick and easy stroll with some scenery then it's Railroad Park or Aldridge gardens in Hoover.

Barber's is a world class facility and like many have said, is worth a visit. Sloss Furnace is interesting for a trip back in time so to speak and just hanging out on the Southside or Pepper place is enjoyable.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:27 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,230,662 times
agreed, Birmingham is as safe as any other city for tourists / visitors. use common sense like you would anywhere else.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:32 PM

25,562 posts, read 17,271,154 times
How does one "do the Civil Rights trail"...?
There are numerous sites scattered across several states, sometimes far apart. I have never heard of anyone "doing the civil rights trail". Or even The Trail of Tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama