Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,972 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job opportunity in Selma AL, work in the lumber industry so most of the job are in more remote locations. My wife and I are in our early 30's no kids social etc. She works from home but has a professional career. We like old historic housing districts, have been looking at Montgomery garden district. How is the young professionals scene in the city? Has the city seen much growth in the past few years? Is there much of a social/outdoors scene? Running/biking clubs, craft breweries etc. We live in Nashville now but are looking to relocate somewhere smaller and less expensive in the South East. Any recommendations as to what areas to look at? Have looked at Prattville a little but figured Montgomery would have more options as far as city living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 05:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,215,943 times
The only answer I can give you is that Montgomery is growing indeed by the looks of housing market records increasing in homes sales 11% between 2019-2020 and is currently up 30% for first quarter of 2021 from 2020. That's all I can give you as I'm not a native to Montgomery. t

They should really give Montgomery a Forum since it's a decent size metro.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:32 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Montgomery has nice older neighborhoods like Old Cloverdale. There's a nice little strip of restaurants and even a jazz club. I think they call that area Midtown.

Most of Montgomery's growth has been to the east of the city around Taylor Rd. That and the northern suburbs of Prattville and Millbrook.

The Garden District is hit or miss. Some streets are OK, some are, shall we say, sketchy.

As for the social scene, I can't really say because I don't live there - though I know people who live there and people who have lived there, and I know their anecdotes.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:29 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,783,856 times
My son has rented a house in Deatsville for the last 2 yrs and had the option to buy. He's in the midst of buying the house because the area is very nice. Away from the urban sprawl but close enough to not miss anything. He initially planned to move closer to Birmingham but enjoys his area much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama