Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM

122 posts, read 479,512 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate down south someday. Completely confused and cannot figure out WHERE!
Anyway, is there a store that sells lightening glass like in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama"?

The town I live in NJ has a beautiful downtown that has mall stores along with mom & pop stores. Lots of restaurants and great stores like Traders Joe and Wegman (grocery stores) nearby.
I would love to live in a town (30,000) that offers a nice downtown area with a decent mall and Costco within a 30-60 minute drive.
It has to be safe and of course I need to work.
I am an Administrative Assistant, so there must be a job or two I can find. Don't panic, I'm an "old time Jerseyan". We're friendly and not rude.
Hate to move from Jersey, but the way property taxes keep going up, I won't be able to afford living here much longer.
Expenses are rising faster than my income.
Yes, I know salaries won't compare to what I'm making up here, but if I sell my house and be able to buy a less expensive one down south; then I can bank the balance for retirement savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Movies aren't reality. Really.
Lightning creates fulgerites by fusing sand. This is about as close as it gets to creating glassware:

Glass from Lightning?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Interesting.. Thanks Harry..

The other tidbit is the movie was filmed in GA not AL. Of course, I would rather live in AL than GA.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM

122 posts, read 479,512 times
Okay, okay I know real life isn't like tv/ movies. After all I live in the Soprano state.

The important part is any suggestions on towns?

PS Keeper; You mentioned you would prefer to live in AL than GA; can you give a few details? Trying to narrow my search and need all the help I can get.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM

There are 3 Costco warehouses in the state - Hoover (suburb of Birmingham), Huntsville, and Montgomery.

From the Alabama Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) page, there are Madison, Homewood, Phenix City, Bessemer, Prichard, Vestavia Hills that all have populations around 30K.

Madison is a suburb of Huntsville. Homewood, Bessemer, and Vestavia Hills are suburbs of Birmingham. A lot of us have a bit of a bias against Montgomery, so looks like you should be looking around the Birmingham or Huntsville area.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Does it have to be Costco? Sams has shifted direction from real whole sale to selling to the public and you will find more stores all over.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Afraid I am a bit biased as far as AL is concerned. I was born and raised in AL although I have lived in other places before returning to 'Sweet Home Alabama'.

You can have the best of both worlds living in AL. Beaches to mountains all within a few hours drive depending on where you live. While not all may agree, I have not met 1 person since I moved back who was rude. Men tip their hats to women, teenagers say 'yes ma'mam, strangers smile at you and say 'hey' and last but not least good old southern cooking.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM

47 posts, read 205,151 times
For what it is worth, there is a real Coon Dog Cemetery near Red Bay. There is a sign on Highway 72 pointing in the direction and the cemetery is down a country road but it truly exists.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Question let it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are 3 Costco warehouses in the state - Hoover (suburb of Birmingham), Huntsville, and Montgomery.

From the Alabama Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) page, there are Madison, Homewood, Phenix City, Bessemer, Prichard, Vestavia Hills that all have populations around 30K.

Madison is a suburb of Huntsville. Homewood, Bessemer, and Vestavia Hills are suburbs of Birmingham. A lot of us have a bit of a bias against Montgomery, so looks like you should be looking around the Birmingham or Huntsville area.
I noticed most of you are biased against Montgomery.why?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Drive past it on I-65 and notice how horrible the Interstate is within city limits. Drive down Southern Blvd. and notice how it has the feel of urban decay. Drive north towards Syl. and notice how bad it looks. Many cities don't put their best foot forward to the passing motorist, but Montgomery makes a point of showing it's atheletes foot and bunions. I'll let others explain some of the other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama