Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:15 PM

14 posts, read 48,899 times

Advertisements

I dont see much talk about Scottsboro on the forum. Considering it and Ft. Payne as possible places to live. Guntersville is also a possiblity. Kids gone, middle aged but still need to make a living. Looking for a safe, nice area with cheaper realestate. We are from the south so there will be no culture shock. In fact, looking forward to it again. Living her in Flub-ah-duh all our lives, the rapid changes are driving us out. But we will make an obscene killing when we sell the house. The taxes, un-controled growth and crime is not worth it any more. No matter how "great" the weather is.

Any input about these towns and the areas between would be greatly apreciated. We will be heading up in November to look around and need some spots on the map to head for. Trying to weed out the not so great places so we dont waste our limited time on the road.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 01:33 PM

39 posts, read 214,045 times
Default Re: Scottsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymanta View Post
I dont see much talk about Scottsboro on the forum. Considering it and Ft. Payne as possible places to live. Guntersville is also a possiblity. Kids gone, middle aged but still need to make a living. Looking for a safe, nice area with cheaper realestate. We are from the south so there will be no culture shock. In fact, looking forward to it again. Living her in Flub-ah-duh all our lives, the rapid changes are driving us out. But we will make an obscene killing when we sell the house. The taxes, un-controled growth and crime is not worth it any more. No matter how "great" the weather is.

Any input about these towns and the areas between would be greatly apreciated. We will be heading up in November to look around and need some spots on the map to head for. Trying to weed out the not so great places so we dont waste our limited time on the road.

Thanks in advance
We drove through Scottsboro twice last December. Wanted to stop and look around as we were also interested in retiring there. We may have hit it on two bad days but I felt that the people were fairly unfriendly. We went into a few stores and a fast food restaurant to get an idea of the people. They just seemed very unwelcoming to outsiders. Just my opinion though. I wanted to post some pics of the downtown area but apparently I am not able to post attachments.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:56 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,667 times
I am from the Huntsville/Madison area but pass thru Scottsboro frequently on my way to and from Atlanta. I have also had some picture framing done in a little shop off the square in Sboro, because they did an excellent job and were very reasonable. The people in that shop have always been very friendly to me.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:01 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFaninOrlando View Post
I wanted to post some pics of the downtown area but apparently I am not able to post attachments.
You can upload your pics somewhere on the web (photobucket. com for example) and post them here using tags: [img]yourphotourl.jpg[/img]

Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM

14 posts, read 48,899 times
Thank you for your replys. But I would still like to here more details about Scootsboro.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 73,998 times
My wife and I are in the process of moving from florida to Guntersville. I know what you mean about crime and uncontrolled growth. I would go with Guntersville, I have spent time in G-ville and scottsboro. Guntersville is much more scenic to me being out on the pensiula. People in G-ville are very very friendly. You also might want to check out Arab, it is close to Huntsville and they have a nice senior center there with a lot of activities.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 PM

27 posts, read 158,390 times
I get censored everytime I respond so I'll try to keep it nicey. :-) Fort Payne is a beautiful place and very clannish. Sock mill owners OWN the whole county and depress the economy to control the labor market. Scottsboro is nice. Small, but nice. Guntersville has gotten more cosmopolitan and has more "industry". I'm from Gadsden originally. Lived all over the world and am moving, myself from Destin to Andalusia for all the same reasons you indicated.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,411 times
Default Scottsboro, Ft Payne

My husband and I are also looking to move to North East Alabama in the next 2 to 3 years. We have been making long weekend trips to the area this summer and fall and really like it there. We really like Scottsboro and found people to be friendly and helpful. We liked the small town atmosphere, and the fact that there are plenty of places to shop and eat and good medical facilities. We also like the proximity to Huntsville & Chattanooga We are also considering the Guntersville area. My husband will be retiring soon and loves to fish so these are areas that he likes. I love the beauty of the area and the lack of hustle & bustle. I will be continuing to work for a few years so job opportunities will figure in our final decision. We both were very impressed with the reasonable cost of real estate in the area. Our area has become extremely expensive with growth everywhere. We are also ready to get away from the "Heat, Humidity & Hurricanes" here on the Gulf Coast.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 21,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHei View Post
I get censored everytime I respond so I'll try to keep it nicey. :-) Fort Payne is a beautiful place and very clannish. Sock mill owners OWN the whole county and depress the economy to control the labor market. Scottsboro is nice. Small, but nice. Guntersville has gotten more cosmopolitan and has more "industry". I'm from Gadsden originally. Lived all over the world and am moving, myself from Destin to Andalusia for all the same reasons you indicated.
Guntersville sounds (and looks) amazing from what I can see on the internet. I was seriously considering it. Problem is, I cannot find any decent real estate listings. I really want an old hose and absolutely hate cookie cutter subdivisions. I saw a listing for an amazing house that was perfect and the price was perfect also, but it was in Anniston, which I now know is VERY unsafe. Trouble is, compared to that, nothing else measures up...

I'm originally from NOLA, so I miss Spanish moss and oak trees, as well as the old homes in the Uptown, Gentilly, and Lakeview areas. I really fell in love with the mountains and the laid back surfer community in Hawaii so now I want that too...

Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 PM

27 posts, read 158,390 times
Default Realtors are simply skimming the bucks

Simple as that. You won't FIND any listings yourself and the agents will only show you what THEY want YOU to see. Only way you're going to be successful is to take your time. Go up there and stay at the Guntersville State Lodge (beautiful and cheap). Get a local map and drive, drive, drive and then drive some more, looking for listed property, and better yet, FSBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama