Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a small rural town in Alabama,where everyone knows each other with small churches. But not to expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyquarter View Post
Im looking for a small rural town in Alabama,where everyone knows each other with small churches. But not to expensive.
and?

North/south/east/west/central? Mountain/flat/lake/river? Throw a dart at a map and you'll find a place like that right next to where it lands.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
A lot of towns that are so small where everyone literally knows everyone can be difficult for a newcomer to fit in. A newcomer may not be able to develop close relationships with others or be taken seriously in the community because "he didn't even go to school here!" or something like that.

If you want to relocate and really be a part of the community, you should probably look at towns that aren't quite that small so that they will be somewhat used to seeing new faces.

If you just want to find a place where you can keep to yourself and mind your own business, then a very small town might work.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
P.S. Any small town in Alabama will be relatively inexpensive. Alabama is one of the most affordable states in the US. And generally speaking, the more rural you are, the cheaper the real estate.

Alabama is a geographically diverse state. We need a little more info as far as what you are looking for to offer any good suggestions.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,627 times
Are there actually any minor towns that are similar to the ones portrayed in the films Hope Floats and Sweet Home Alabama? Like with the town moves and stuff?

I acted like an adult in a town with just 2,500 individuals. Fifty youngsters in my graduating class. We didn't have "town moves" fundamentally, yet we had small seasonal celebrations and stuff similar to that...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
There are a lot of small towns in Alabama it just depends on what else you like to do. In N. AL there are 4 seasons, you have what we call mountains and we get a little snow some winters, there are rivers and lakes.
In S. AL you have winter but it isn't as cold and they rarely get snow. You are close to the gulf and they have Mardi Gras and great seafood.

I love my small town in NE AL. It is a great place to retire. The people are friendly and nearly everyone speaks to you. There are lots of churches and banks in my little town. There is no mall but you can get just about everything you need here. There is no bad part of town and very little crime. We have several festivals, a santa parade and a parade downtown for homecoming.

Just ask.. the folks on this forum are the best

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,430 times
I would have to disagree that the rural life/small town life is more economical than say a larger town. Where we are currently located, it is 25 miles to a WALMART and since it is the only thing around, the selection is less and prices are higher than other locations. We have to drive at least 25-50 miles for dental/doctor visits. Same for car work. THEN, our ad valorem taxes have turned out to be HIGHER than Huntsville because the county runs its budget on that since there is not alot of industry in the area for a tax base. Gas is going up and that makes everything including food higher. We do not have the competition or selection so even your basic needs are higher in cost. Try getting services and construction in the country? Very difficult. Surprisingly, even our property taxes are high to me because that is what they need to keep the poor area going.

And we do not have the services that I think should be basic like recycling, animal control and shelters, better schools and good roads.

I have realized that maybe I don't want a BIG city but I do miss larger town life with choices and competition and conveniences.

There are less choices that are convenient and therefore everything is higher and harder to get.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I recommend looking for a town with at least about 6k people. That's small enough to still be a "small town", yet big enough so that everyone isn't in your business. You also have to think about things like police/fire protection and access to a hospital (even if it's a small one).

Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM

21 posts, read 37,976 times
try outskirts of Dothan al... lots of small towns around but still close enough to hospitals.. doctors.. shopping .. etc. I recommend looking at Ashford, Rehobeth, Pansey, cottonwood, Headland, Midland City...

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,430 times
bamagrl41 your sugestion of Dothan is a good one. Dothan is a nice little town but large enough to offer pretty good medical options, not bad shopping and even has music and arts available. That is the closest large small town we go to and it is 50 miles away but thank God for Dothan!!! Now if it would only get a Fresh Market, Pottery Barn, macy's, ---- wishful thinking but Atlanta is only 3-4 hours away. We have come to appreciate having Dothan 50 miles away and close enough to get there. you just learn to plan and put a cooler in the car for those groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama