Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,756 times

Advertisements

Dear Friend:

Even though Alabama is one of my favorites, I know very little except a small amount of Florence, AL. So IF you were to choose another state besides Alabama, then please consider my home town of Wheaton, Illinois.
Wheaton is a town where many Christians reside. They are medical doctors, professional Christian people associated with companies such as Tyndale Publications and others.
In Wheaton, Illinois we also have Wheaton College with its beautiful Billy Graham Center. We also have Wheaton Academy which is a Christian high school. And we also have Wheaton Christian Grammar School (WCGS). After retirement, I worked as a maintenance man at WCGS.
Today, any private Christian school (grammar, H.S. or even College) is going to cost a terrific amount of money. When employed at WCGS, one -year of tuition per student was approximately $5,000. That was several years ago and so I assume that it is even higher, today. Perhaps this will help you as an alternate choice even though Alabama is really 'topps' in my opinion !

Carter Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM

75 posts, read 269,971 times
Hey Howell_Street or can I say Carter:?
Thank you for your opinion.....anything at this point is a big help
as I don't know where it is we are supposed to go---all I know
is I really do need a newfound place....if you read my post earlier
I guess you know my home town isn't too great anymore...it
has tons of traffic and busy people...to busy to even say hi unfortunately
I just want to find another place that is full of nice people and easy going.
I hope there is such a place....I do thank you again
Kat

Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 AM

410 posts, read 1,654,555 times
I moved to Hartselle last winter; actually out in the county a ways. The folks here are very friendly but a bit insular - someone who is active in church would probably meet a lot more people than I do. The Hartselle public schools are excellent and if you are outside the district you can pay a fee to go to the city schools.

Where I am, I can get to Hartselle in 10-15 minutes and Decatur in about 15 on back roads. The outlying areas here are starting to fill up with subdivisions of people willing to make the 60 minute commute into Huntsville, but they aren't packed in close together like many areas have done; everyone out here wants land. 3-5 acre lots down the road are selling like hotcakes. In the subdivisions, brick homes on 3 acre lots of roughly 1800-2000 square feet are going for about $200-225,000. I bought my 2200 square foot custom home on 4 acres for just under $200 back in February; I back up to a large cow pasture and I have a couple of acres of (vacant) horse pasture and a small pond, plus the ares closer to the house which has some fruits trees, etc.. It's not a mansion but it's a well built newer home and there are many homes in the area that are of similar quality on similar situations. I don't think you will get very much cheaper with acreage unless you got farther out than me or you get lucky. And yes, there are some huge, very expensive houses out here, but also some trailers and 100 acre farms and everything in between.

Crime is virtually non-existent, but the roads are not safe for kids to ride bikes or play in; people whiz down these roads pretty fast. My neighbors are great and really everyone I have met here has been friendly and helpful even to an outsider like me, let alone a single 30-something women; definitely an oddity here! Many of my neighbors have been here for generations.

If this area is in your price range, it sounds like this area might suit you well. Outside of the city limits most areas don't have restrictions on livestock (or anything else, for that matter.) Hartselle and/or Decatur has most of the regular shopping needs and when you want culture or entertainment, Huntsville isn't far and Birmingham is an easy drive, too. Decatur is wet, but Hartselle and the county is dry. The Huntsville airport is an easy drive and you don't have to go through town to get to it; about 45 minutes.

However, much of the soil around here isn't very good. Mine is mostly good but up near the street I have this rock hard yellow clay prevalent in the area (called "Hartselle," of course) that nothing does well in except pasture and corn. Definitely check the soil if growing lots of food is in your plans.

As for me, I moved to the country to get land but I sorely miss being able to walk or bike to shopping and will probably be moving into Huntsville, but I haven't decided yet. With BRAC coming into Huntsville, word on the street is that many of the newcomers want land and don't care about the commute. Homes with acreage outlying Huntsville might be going up in price and demand, but maybe not.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM

763 posts, read 3,837,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnkat View Post
Thanks Southlander
it is always nice to hear from you and I appreciate your time....
Definitely need acreage and will keep looking....
Kat
I live in Mountain Brook and can tell you with confidence that there is no acreage left....the town is surrounded on all sides by other communities...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 18,206 times
rcnkat,
We just bought a house and 28 acres between Guntersville and Albertville. The town of Gunterville is just absolutely gorgeous, the Guntersville Lake State Park is breathtaking. We also live in Florida now, just outside of Tampa, and are moving for the same reasons you are. We have only spent a couple of weeks in the new home so far but have found the people to be super friendly and very helpful. Real Estate prices are very reasonable compared to what we are used to. So is insurance and cheapest of all are property taxes.
How much acreage are you looking for? I have seen several plces for sale with somewhat less than we bought in the area. If 5 acres with a carpentry workshop would be sufficient there is one for sale right across the street from us. Doesn't have a house though. With building costs so much lower if the price is right you could have one built. If you think it could work for you send me a Direct Message and I will tell you what else I know about it, including asking price.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Welcome to fellow Floridian. don't you just love it up here? Glad you found a place for you and the dogs. When will you moving up here for good?

The only down side is we don't have a Publix nearby. I do miss being able to shop there. When you come back bring me some chorizo (dried kind) so I can make some cuban food. LOL..

I am going to plan a get together for all our great city-data members in AL.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM

hi Nicole C
you were very helpful...and sounds exactly what we are looking for...
thank you sooo much for all of your info.....
I do hope to check out the area...just not sure when.....
thanks again.....
Kat

Old 09-20-2007, 05:54 PM

hey Bravo
thank you....as well...for your comment....
hopefully I will find my acreage and not too many
"developments" around.....let me know if you
know of any other towns you think might be a fit
for us....
thanks
Kat

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 18,206 times
Thank you for the welcome Keeper as well as all the good info you gave me a while ago. As I said in my earlier rpost, I absolutely love the area. Land and house are not what I would have chosen, but my grown kids fell in love with it and I figure they are going to live a lot longer than I will and it's ideal for the dogs. Know what you mean about Publix. My daughter in law had her first experience at the Pig last week, quite a shocker to her. I told her if she wants to continue doing her shopping at Publix or Kroger she will just have to become super organized and we can go into Huntsville every now and then.
My son will go up to build the kennel beginning of October and hopefully he will be done in less than a month. As soon as it is finished we will move up there for good.
I read your posts about a get together but was afraid we will miss it.
Remind me about your chorrizo when my moving date gets closer and I will bring you some..

Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM

410 posts, read 1,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnkat View Post
hi Nicole C
you were very helpful...and sounds exactly what we are looking for...
thank you sooo much for all of your info.....
I do hope to check out the area...just not sure when.....
thanks again.....
Kat
Holler if you come up, if I am still living out in the country I'll be happy to take you to the local eatery and show you the area. After half a year I still get lost on the back roads and the Chamber is perpetually out of maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama