Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,443,569 times

Advertisements

Hartselle is a very nice small town with excellent public schools. There are some BIG houses being built in Hartselle because of that fact. If you want a bit of acreage, you will may to get out a bit beyond the city limits, which means you'd pay some extra tuition to go to Hartselle schools and not Morgan County Schools. To my knowledge, there are no private Christian schools in Hartselle, but there are a couple in Decatur. Homeschooling is welcome in these parts, but I have no details on that. Hartselle is fairly flat. There is a Wal-Mart, which was quiet, clean and uncrowded when I went there Sunday night. Downtown has a number of antique shops; a bridal/formal shop; drug store; gift shops...it's a little destination in itself.
I have heard the locals are slow to accept newcomers, but I believe it really depends on the newcomer staying positive and friendly. It just takes time...many residents have been there for generations. There is a newcomers club.
Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM

75 posts, read 270,159 times
thanks so much....southlander...you seem very informative as I have read
some of the info you give to others....I appreciate your time and will keep
up the search....have a great day!
Kat

Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Hi Keeper....I am from Kissimmee Florida..where did you move from?
I grew up here and it is sooooo different....I think most of the locals
have been trying to move out for some time....it is most unfortunate.
I am looking for a small town...christian schools and commuting doesn't
really matter....just a nice town....nice people and a slower pace...
I miss Friendly people...everyone just rushes by ....I think some think
I am strange as I say hello and some people just look at me like why did
I say that to them.....oh well....I am just nice...what can I say?
have a good day and thanks for any info you could send on a great
town....and yes,,,acreage is a must....
Kat

Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 AM

hey there
okay, what can you tell me about Mccalla?
thank so much..
Kat

Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,443,569 times
McCalla is southwest of Birmingham, just past Bessemer, going toward Tuscaloosa. Lots of subdivisions being built out that way. Schools are good...that's about all I know!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:19 PM

hi
we really don't want to be in the midst of subdivisions....that is what has
happened to us where we live now....
thanks for your info
Kat

Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,231,067 times
Bear with me all you posters who have heard this before ...
I lived in Tampa for 30 years before moving to Arab, just outside of Huntsville. Arab is on Brindley mountain and the area is hilly. It is a small town with friendly people. I have met only 1 person who is not friendly and he is my neighbor but his wife is nice and so is everyone else around me.
I have met people in Wally world who just stop and talk. Kids are polite with saying 'yes sir and yes ma'mam' I met a lady who works at Wally world by just talking to her when I went in for groceries, we are now friends.
You can get a house with acreage around here for less than 200K, but it may be an older home.
Church plays a big part in many people's lives here but they aren't pushy about you going to their church. You will be invited to go but if you say 'no thanks' there are no hard feelings.
Schools are some of the best in the state with small class sizes. My grandsons who are teenagers made friends quickly. They love school here and don't want to go back to FL. where they were home schooled due to the horrible schools in Tampa.

Utilities are cheaper here as is HOI. My property taxes were less than $200 dollars this year. There is a state income tax but it isn't bad.
Check out valleymls.com for homes in all of N. AL.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 PM

hi Keeper
Your town sounds wonderful....maybe one of these days we can plan a trip.
a slower pace would be nice....as well as nice people..
thanks for all your info....
Kat

Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,231,067 times
If I was sure we were going to have a nice fall I would say to plan a trip up but it doesn't look like it will be a good one due to the drought.
Weather is starting to turn cooler. This weekend lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s.
If you would like to see some pictures I can email you a couple. I believe there are some pics of N. AL on this forum somewhere..
Found them..
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alaba...le-anyone.html

Last edited by Keeper; 09-13-2007 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 AM

763 posts, read 3,839,107 times
I would strongly support the Springville/Ashville area as the place for you....it is only 20 minutes from the largest airport in the state. The Birmingham airport has non-stop service to 28 cities, much more than any other airport in the state and is served by Southwest Airlnes with the lowest fares too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama