Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnkat View Post
hi
we really don't want to be in the midst of subdivisions....that is what has
happened to us where we live now....
thanks for your info
Kat
Since you inquired about Hartselle...Hartselle has a nice historic district with VERY reasonably priced homes. Now, none of these are grand mansions. Most are modest, but they do have porches and other wonderful features not found in a lot of modern homes. There is also a selection of mid-century ranches. Local listings can be found at valleymls dot com. For location, click on Morgan County, and then in the "advanced" area specify Hartselle High School. To see homes outside Hartselle city limits, specify Brewer or Danville high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM

232 posts, read 994,883 times
The early feedback above is right; a lot depends upon your employment location, the drive time you want (or don't want) to work, the kind of home you'd like (size, style, neighborhood or rural location), then you can narrow your choices a bit more by looking at the Christian schools that fall within the radius. It's something our profession does daily for new folks.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM

75 posts, read 269,971 times
thanks Bravo
I will keep the airport info in mind....I appreciate your time and
info as well....
you are all so nice.
Kat

Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM

hi
thank you for your info as well.....so nice
to talk with all of you.
we are just interested in smaller town....70,000 where we live now
way too busy..... and self employed so not needing to commute
except for schooling.....we would like somewhat rural...just not
too far out in the middle of nowhere.....acreage is a must.
as we would like a home and workshop.
thanks again
Kat

Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 PM

38 posts, read 178,760 times
Ok, How important is the airport? Do you have a plane or will you only fly commercial?

Hartselle is about 1/2 hour from Huntsville airport and well over an hour to B'ham airport.

Arab is almost an hour from Huntsville airport and over 1 1/2 hours to Bham airport.

Springville is less than 1/2 hour from Birmingham airport.

Ashville is a little over 1/2 hour from Birmingham airport.

Clay is about 20 minutes to the Birmingham airport.

McCalla is a little over 1/2 hour to Birmingham airport.

The Huntsville airport has non-stop flights to Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Cincinnati, D.C., NY, Houston, Memphis, Detroit, Charlotte, and Denver.

The Birmingham airport has non-stop flights to over 50 cities.

Hope this helps.

eeyore

Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 AM

hey eeyore
yes...that is most helpful....my guess is no farther than 1 hour from an airport.
1/2 hour even nicer as long as we are still somewhat rural and not in the city.
70,000 people has taken its toll us....just need to get back to small---- u know???
put it this way.....I live 20 minutes from Disney World....when I was a kid it was no
big deal---Kissimmee was still small--no one knew where it was---you had to say Orlando. the people have all changed and so has the town....I will be happy to find
another home when my house sells....hopefully, sooner than later.
Kat

Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
You can check out towns here although some figures may have changed but it will give you an idea of the size of the towns
https://www.city-data.com/city/Alabama.html

Old 09-16-2007, 08:07 AM

hi there
does anyone know anything about Mountain Brook?
I was looking to see any info on that community...I found
their newsletter online and the Chamber didn't say a whole lot?
any info?? thanks so much.....Kat

Old 09-16-2007, 04:02 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
Mountain Brook is an old suburb of Birmingham and had, at one time, the highest per capita income of any city in America. The school system is the top in the state. So are the home prices! I know someone who sold their pre-war 2-bedroom house for six figures. The new owners tore it down and built a huge new house. As they say, location, location, location. Mountain Brook is bounded by several other suburb-cities, so land is limited.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks Southlander
it is always nice to hear from you and I appreciate your time....
Definitely need acreage and will keep looking....
Kat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama