Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 AM

56 posts, read 119,791 times

Advertisements

Excerpt from the Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

How do the people of Alabama view a Constitutional State Militia? I would think that Alabama would be one of the more supportive state for their Militia, but I could be very wrong perhaps?

Our Federal Government is trying to make State Militia's look like terrorist groups and anti-government - and perhaps SOME are, but many are God loving patriots that want to do good for America and their state. Also, state rights are being trampled and overridden by the Federal Government, and a well regulated state militia is becoming more important each passing day I feel.

I ask this because I genuinely want to know people native of Alabama would feel about this, and I want to join a State Militia myself to give back to my country and community in the time of need.

Well I hope this doesn't create too much controversy, but it needs to be talked about all over the country honestly.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Wouldn't joining the National Guard allow you to give to your country and community in a time of need? Help me understand what the purpose of a militia is if it is different than the National Guard. Under what conditions would a militia be activated?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Wouldn't joining the National Guard allow you to give to your country and community in a time of need? Help me understand what the purpose of a militia is if it is different than the National Guard. Under what conditions would a militia be activated?
It would but you could also be called to federal active duty at any time, outside of the control of your state. Twenty-two states and Puerto Rico operate state defense forces that are answerable to the state, only, and cannot be federalized. State Defense Forces generally operate with emergency management and homeland security missions. In the past most were organized into military police and infantry units but today, civil affairs units and medical units now predominate in some states.

These units are strictly voluntary and receive no federal funding. In some, members have to provide their own uniforms and equipment. They are truly civilian militia units.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 AM

OK. But the OP mentioned serving "country and community" rather than just his state and community. You and he may be talking about different things. But the question remains: under what conditions are they activated?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
I don't understand why you would need a state militia in this day. What emergency management and homeland security requires an organized armed group of citizens?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM

97 posts, read 260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel*Faith View Post
Excerpt from the Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

How do the people of Alabama view a Constitutional State Militia? I would think that Alabama would be one of the more supportive state for their Militia, but I could be very wrong perhaps?

Our Federal Government is trying to make State Militia's look like terrorist groups and anti-government - and perhaps SOME are, but many are God loving patriots that want to do good for America and their state. Also, state rights are being trampled and overridden by the Federal Government, and a well regulated state militia is becoming more important each passing day I feel.

I ask this because I genuinely want to know people native of Alabama would feel about this, and I want to join a State Militia myself to give back to my country and community in the time of need.

Well I hope this doesn't create too much controversy, but it needs to be talked about all over the country honestly.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable as I envision folks building bombs and running around with sheets over their heads burning crosses... Nah, no thanks. Our military can handle it.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
This was tried in 1861. Didn't work out too well, as I recall.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Also, state rights are being trampled and overridden by the Federal Government, and a well regulated state militia is becoming more important each passing day I feel.
I'll clarify that statement. I'll give you an example: today in Arizona the Federal Government is not only denying Arizona the sufficient help they need to protect their borders (National Guardsmen), but they've filed a lawsuit against the Arizona, they're openly supporting Mexico and the drug cartels over our own sovereign state, and have actually given a piece of our land to Mexico!

The Police are outnumbered, and they don't have the resources to combat this crisis/invasion. People are dying and the police CANNOT protect all of it's citizens by themselves (hence why a piece of America had to be given over to Mexico). So in this situation since the Federal Government won't even uphold it's primary responsibility of protecting our borders, Constitutional Militias could help work with the police and give them the emergency manpower they desperately need to keep Americans alive.

Of course the National Guard should be the ones to fulfill duties, that's why they're getting paid by our tax dollars - yet they're being withheld. So yes, our Founding Fathers approved of a well regulated militia for situations just like this. When our government has grown too corrupt or greedy to protect it's own people - Americans can still bear arms and protect themselves, as opposed to being a powerless mass of sheep as some would have it.

That is just one relevant situation going on currently. Of course there would be other situations where the Militia could help. Katrina would've been another, since the Federal government took so long to act, the Militia could've responded and started helping people (to the best of their ability) quickly alongside police.

Quote:
OK. But the OP mentioned serving "country and community" rather than just his state and community.
I said this because each state should have a well regulated militia. I agree with Curmudgeon response as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 PM

By "given over to Mexico" are you referring to 80-mile strip of Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge that has been closed to visitors because of the danger? It is definitely a bad situation, but it was not "given over to Mexico".

So who is going to be in charge of the "well ordered" militia? Because it has to be well-ordered, right? Under the provisions of the Second Amendment?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM

This is war (being fought by the State of Arizona) against a terrorist group and we can't defend or hold our own territory apparently. The enemy has free reign in that part of our country, and no American is allowed in there. What do you call that Sir? It's our land, but we're just letting the Terrorists borrow it for now, right?

If "Al-Qaeda" was the one invading Arizona, the whole damn country would be in a frenzy of fear and anger, and the Federal Government would be there, followed by an imminent strike against some foreign nation. Yet it's just the Mexicans, so no big deal right?

Quote:
So who is going to be in charge of the "well ordered" militia?
That would be the States. Although I don't know why you're asking me this, when you can go read the Bill of Rights yourself to get the answer. I get the feeling your asking me because you're trying to see if i'm some kind of terrorist or extremist.

Of course i'm upset, but I think it's just a disgusting and pathetic situation that the Federal gov't isn't actively protecting us when it comes to our own land, and more Americans aren't demanding action from our government. So does this endless war against terrorism apply only to the Muslims, or is it a war against any terrorism that is dangerous to America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama