Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 8,170 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

myself and my family are relocating to ohio because of my husband job. I was offered a job in multiple locations in chapel hill mall and in canton. We found a nice home in west akron by hardesty blvd and bellvue ave. Can you guys help us with knowledge regarding the area, as we know nothing about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 01:19 PM

99 posts, read 73,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzluna0921 View Post
Hello Everyone,

myself and my family are relocating to ohio because of my husband job. I was offered a job in multiple locations in chapel hill mall and in canton. We found a nice home in west akron by hardesty blvd and bellvue ave. Can you guys help us with knowledge regarding the area, as we know nothing about the area.
That's right in the middle of the Hood. Akron is a block by block city imo so where the house is could be quiet. It really all depends on what you can afford, where you are moving from etc. Schools would not be considered "good" in that area. You are 15 minutes away from Chapel Hill and 30 minutes away from Canton(25 from Belden area). I grew up in West Akron on this "side of the tracks" and still live in West Akron just on "the other side of the tracks ". Just gotta keep it real about where you're looking. BTW I had family on Bellvue and spent a lot of time on the street as a kid. Best of Luck and if you have anymore questions I will do my best to answer.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westakron1 View Post
That's right in the middle of the Hood. Akron is a block by block city imo so where the house is could be quiet. It really all depends on what you can afford, where you are moving from etc. Schools would not be considered "good" in that area. You are 15 minutes away from Chapel Hill and 30 minutes away from Canton(25 from Belden area). I grew up in West Akron on this "side of the tracks" and still live in West Akron just on "the other side of the tracks ". Just gotta keep it real about where you're looking. BTW I had family on Bellvue and spent a lot of time on the street as a kid. Best of Luck and if you have anymore questions I will do my best to answer.
Thanks so much for your reply the address to the property is 1100 Hardesty Blvd. I mean we have a pretty good budget, but I was offered a job at the chapel hill mall so I wanted to be close to work. We're moving from Chicago both of us are from the westside of chicago. But as adult we moved our family to the suburbs. This will not be a long term stay as we will be purchasing a home but we want to get a feel of areas first. We want to live some where, crime is not knocking at our front door, where my kids (teenagers) can be outside peacefully, And not worry about someone breaking into our home because we're new in the area. What do you think or what suggestions do you have?

Last edited by Mzluna0921; 05-28-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply the address to the property is 1100 Hardesty Blvd. I mean we have a pretty good budget, but I was offered a job at the chapel hill mall so I wanted to be close to work. We're moving from Chicago both of us are from the westside of chicago. But as adult we moved our family to the suburbs. This will not be a long term stay as we will be purchasing a home but we want to get a feel of areas first. We want to live some where, crime is not knocking at our front door, where my kids (teenagers) can be outside peacefully, And not worry about someone breaking into our home because we're new in the area. What do you think or what suggestions do you have?
Thanks for your response. I used to live in Oak Park so I am familiar with the West Side of Chicago/Chicago area. The issue with the area you are talking about is that some of the issues you want to avoid are very possible. That doesn't mean that you will certainly have these issues, it's not a warzone or anything, but it is in an area where possiblity is higher. I have family over this way so I may ride past this block let you know what sort of gut feeling I get.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I used to live in Oak Park so I am familiar with the West Side of Chicago/Chicago area. The issue with the area you are talking about is that some of the issues you want to avoid are very possible. That doesn't mean that you will certainly have these issues, it's not a warzone or anything, but it is in an area where possiblity is higher. I have family over this way so I may ride past this block let you know what sort of gut feeling I get.
Oh WOW! That's very kind of you well now that I know you know this are we currently live in the Naperville area of chicago, and we're looking for something about the same. Or even something like Oak Park. AnY suggestions. Also what about Carlysle St and W Mildred Ave, Akron, OH 44310. That's another property that has reached out to me?

Last edited by Mzluna0921; 05-28-2019 at 03:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Oh WOW! That's very kind of you well now that I know you know this are we currently live in the Naperville area of chicago, and we're looking for something about the same. Or even something like Oak Park. AnY suggestions. Also what about Carlysle St and W Mildred Ave, Akron, OH 44310. That's another property that has reached out to me?
Ok, the first house you mentioned, that neighborhood is nothing like Naperville. Ethnically it's about 95% black. The second area is also a inner-city neighborhood but in a part of city called North Hill which is pretty diverse with immigrants and refugees.

Housing Stock/demographics that would be similar to Naperville would parts of Cuyahoga Falls/Munroe Falls and Stow. The cloest thing Oak Park in the Akron area would be the neighborhoods of Highland Square and Wallhaven.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Ok, the first house you mentioned, that neighborhood is nothing like Naperville. Ethnically it's about 95% black. The second area is also a inner-city neighborhood but in a part of city called North Hill which is pretty diverse with immigrants and refugees.

Housing Stock/demographics that would be similar to Naperville would parts of Cuyahoga Falls/Munroe Falls and Stow. The cloest thing Oak Park in the Akron area would be the neighborhoods of Highland Square and Wallhaven.
Ok thanks so much

Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 AM

150 posts, read 619,818 times
As someone who lived in Chicago for a couple of years (Lincoln Square), I highly recommend Highland Square. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 AM

250 posts, read 529,838 times
I listen to the police scanner all day and West Akron is an area where if you work and your home is unattended all day you can expect that at some point a back door will be kicked in and you will be robbed. It goes on all day long. I lived in that area 15 years ago but now it has gone ghetto. Back then the bad stuff was confined to drug activity in the rental homes, the duplexes, the 4 suite apartments, etc. Those places were usually rented by squatters who know how to play the game. They move in, the pay one month, and then knowing it takes 91 days to be evicted, they just stop paying rent and utilities. Then they get kicked out and find another greedy, anxious landlord who knows that if he rental unit is empty he makes no money but still have a mortgage payment to make, so they take a chance on those people. The criminal activity has now spread to where the people who live in those rentals are out robbing houses all day while people are at work. None of them can afford to buy a house, nor do they want a paper trail with their name on it because they are career criminals, so the "rinse, repeat" cycle continues. Highland Square was mentioned but you need to consider Highland Square block by block. It is a "trendy yuppie hipster" kind of place and the presence of nitelife leads to muggings and robberies at 2am when the drunks are leaving the bars and the thugs are waiting with their knives and handguns. Wallet, cell phone and car - gone. I shop at one store in Highland Square. I go only during the day, and I am armed.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
I listen to the police scanner all day and West Akron is an area where if you work and your home is unattended all day you can expect that at some point a back door will be kicked in and you will be robbed. It goes on all day long. I lived in that area 15 years ago but now it has gone ghetto. Back then the bad stuff was confined to drug activity in the rental homes, the duplexes, the 4 suite apartments, etc. Those places were usually rented by squatters who know how to play the game. They move in, the pay one month, and then knowing it takes 91 days to be evicted, they just stop paying rent and utilities. Then they get kicked out and find another greedy, anxious landlord who knows that if he rental unit is empty he makes no money but still have a mortgage payment to make, so they take a chance on those people. The criminal activity has now spread to where the people who live in those rentals are out robbing houses all day while people are at work. None of them can afford to buy a house, nor do they want a paper trail with their name on it because they are career criminals, so the "rinse, repeat" cycle continues. Highland Square was mentioned but you need to consider Highland Square block by block. It is a "trendy yuppie hipster" kind of place and the presence of nitelife leads to muggings and robberies at 2am when the drunks are leaving the bars and the thugs are waiting with their knives and handguns. Wallet, cell phone and car - gone. I shop at one store in Highland Square. I go only during the day, and I am armed.
Thank you so much yes myself and my husband work all day. I mean this helps alot but I am also moving with my dogs 3pitbulls. But what about the North Hill Area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton