Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,709 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Deerfield, Ohio which is close to Ravenna and Alliance. We're moving in a year or so and I was wondering how Kent is. I want to go back to college and I hear Kent State is good. That is basically the only reason I want to move there. What areas in Kent are safe, affordable, good schools, etc. What areas to aviod? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 89,306 times
kent state is excellent. i graduated from there and so did my sister. i loved every experience from it. and i have to note that this past year KSU was voted into the top 200 colleges in the WORLD. yes, we were 78th in the entire world. i think that speaks volumes! everyone i went to school with has had success in employment, including myself as well.

as for where to live- i imagine that you wouldnt want to buy or rent near a lot of college students. So i would recommend south of rt 261 (like off of sunnybrook rd), and that area and also south of the stadium (summit st). those areas are spacious and more country-like, similar to ravenna, etc. also, west of kent (down fairchild rd) is nice to as it heads out to the chapel hill shopping area there is a stretch of nice modest homes. i cant think of any certain place i would not look at living except maybe the roads right off the kent car strip (off route 59). the houses are closer together, more police blotter activity mostly happens out there. but as you go a little farther up rt 59 it gets into stow which is also very nice and close to KSU.

i havent heard anything bad about kent roosevelt which is the high school in kent. and i know Stow and Hudson schools are very nice.

i hope this helps! best of luck to you!!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 AM

160 posts, read 644,067 times
i always liked kent. i would think its a fairly safe place.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:47 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,722 times
It's a safe place with good schools, though I love the town of Stow. Absolutely gorgeous out there!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 24,327 times
Move to Rootstown, Excellent schools, good housing, SAFE and close to kent and minutes from I76. Farmland and beautiful!!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM

38 posts, read 91,037 times
You may even want to consider Streetsboro. It's just a few miles north on 43. Pretty friendly town.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,340 times
I'm an AU alum, so, I have to say, Kent read, Kent write, Kent State. lol Having said that, Kent seems calmer than Akron. Good luck! I'd raise my family there. =) Though, w/ any college, you get 'shady' people there. lol I remember Deerfield on 224. Oh, & my Dad got his master's from there. lol

Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM

17 posts, read 99,056 times
I live in Kent and love it. We moved to Akron from out of state about 5 years ago and spent a lot of time getting to know the surrounding areas before we decided where we wanted to buy a house and settle down. Things I love about Kent - progressive/liberal, small town, college influence, tons to do, people are friendly but not nosy, Kent Community Timebank, Kent Stage. I could go on and on. There is a ton of development going on right now downtown that is mostly slated to be complete by the end of 2012. I think Kent is really marking it's place on the map. Like anyplace though, it is what you make of it. If you get involved in your community it will get involved with you.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,566 times
Default did you move?

Hi there, I was wondering if you moved to Kent? What were your experiences? Could you please share? I will go to Kent State University in Fall 2011. I've got two kids 7th and 8th graders. Which middle schools would you recommend? Which housing areas are good?

Last edited by vildansa; 06-29-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM

52 posts, read 75,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheath View Post
You may even want to consider Streetsboro. It's just a few miles north on 43. Pretty friendly town.
I grew up in Streetsboro and went to KSU. Streetsboro is easier to get around but nothing is within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
View detailed profiles of: