Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times

Advertisements

It's probably happened to many besides myself... just post a brief question thread, and it gets out of control and you have other's asking your whole life story which may include personal questions you're uncomfortable answering, and/or are just plain none of the poster's business.

Yes, you can ignore it. Or just say "none of your business if you please". But at the same time, it is a good question and would aid in the rest of the posters not asking the same personal stuff as well. Yet, telling your life's story hasn't much to do with the thread at all...

How many of you end up telling your life's story and then saying to yourself "geez.... " and realizing you probably said too much?

But at the same time, the people asking the personal questions are individuals you don't want to offend because they are members in good standing you've interacted with successfully in the past?

Is the smiley icon with the "hand in front of it" sufficient to let someone know they're crossing your personal boundary politely? Looking for ideas to politely tell someone that...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
"I'm not comfortable with providing those details, but I can tell you that..." (followed by sharing a related detail that helps narrow down the answer.)

Usually, there's a good reason to ask clarifying questions. It seems like a shame to stiff-arm people who are trying to help you.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Problem is, answering some questions may reveal things that aren't relevant, or anyone's business. But I see your point. Some people are comfortable posting their home-buying budget, for example... I personally am not. Some people ask this when a poster asks for town/neighborhood recommendations. In this case, the question is very relevant. I'm thinking more of when a person thinks your life is odd, and asks for details.... things they don't need to know in order to answer the question. How to reply without being too rude. I guess I will give more thought to things when posting a new thread also; "do I really need to post that?"...

Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Use the ignore button!

Editing to add: Itscolduphere, it looks like you are referring to your thread in the CT forum and yes, I agree you put too much info out there. Although, I don't see where any poster asked you any questions? I would ask a mod to delete the post.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:47 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
It's probably happened to many besides myself... just post a brief question thread, and it gets out of control and you have other's asking your whole life story which may include personal questions you're uncomfortable answering, and/or are just plain none of the poster's business.

Yes, you can ignore it. Or just say "none of your business if you please". But at the same time, it is a good question and would aid in the rest of the posters not asking the same personal stuff as well. Yet, telling your life's story hasn't much to do with the thread at all...

How many of you end up telling your life's story and then saying to yourself "geez.... " and realizing you probably said too much?

But at the same time, the people asking the personal questions are individuals you don't want to offend because they are members in good standing you've interacted with successfully in the past?

Is the smiley icon with the "hand in front of it" sufficient to let someone know they're crossing your personal boundary politely? Looking for ideas to politely tell someone that...

Thanks!
If you feel that you did put to much information on a post, or if there are massive thread problems, I would address the moderator for the forum in which the thread is in.

Here is the list of mods, FYI: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...ator-list.html

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
I am an open book myself. I'll tell anyone anything, unless it's someone I don't care for. But, in the situation you described, I would say in a light and teasing manner, "Why would you want to know that?" Or, "Believe me, you really don't want to know that."

Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I have found if I just say "Thank you for your opinion" and leave no commentary that tells folks in a nice way to be quiet...

BUT, we also need to remember that once a thread is posted it is really no longer our own...we are opening our questions and issues up for others remarks, their own stories and view points....it may be time to let the thread go after you get the advice you need!

Good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum