Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM

251 posts, read 825,389 times

Advertisements

When I look at city profile on this website, % of white, hispanic and so on ppl in specific city is indicated.
I'm wandering who is considered "white" or "black"?

Foe example:
from Egypt can come: arabs muslims, arabs christians and egyptian Jews - who they considered to be?
Same questions about immigrants from Libanon, Palestine, Morocco and so on

Are immigrants from Spain , Portugal or for example Argentina - considerd 'wahite" or 'hispanic'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,251 times
I consider myself black.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
When I look at city profile on this website, % of white, hispanic and so on ppl in specific city is indicated.

Foe example:
from Egypt can come: arabs muslims, arabs christians and egyptian Jews - who they considered to be?
White.

Quote:
White.

Quote:
Are immigrants from Spain , Portugal or for example Argentina - considerd 'wahite" or 'hispanic'?
If they're from Spain or Portugal they'd be considered white being Europeans. If they're from Argentina they'd be considered white and Hispanic (aside from Asian-Argentines and the few Argentines of indigenous ancestry). Ironically, Spaniards are not considered "Hispanic" by the US government.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,660 times
I consider myself pretty red,from gardening in the sun too long.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

Foe example:

I think your question is two sided lol.

The first side is a census data gov

and

The second side is regardless of your country of origin do you look white or black (to most Americans)

From a census standpoint if you're Egyptian i believe you would be counted under African, since you're from that continent lol.

However, if you're from that continent from side two and you look white, you are consider by most white

Spanish people are by census data White

Spanish people depending on the ignorance level of the American in question are Hispanic to the average American lol

Census data may consider you something

for instance Portuguese people are counted as white on the census data, but i do not think many white people or other groups consider the Portuguese to be "white." In my experience they fall into the "Hispanic" category when viewed by other people (and i don't make the rules lol)

Okay, i'll stop there because i probably just confused the heck out of you lol

Basic rule of thumb if you look white, you'll be considered white as long as you don't have some weird Spanish accent lol

if you look black you'll be considered black as long as you do not have some weird Spanish accent lol

If you look like a mix between whites and blacks you will be labeled Hispanic lol whether you have a weird Spanish accent or not lol

If you look Asian, well, if you look Asian i just feel sorry for you, because you'll just be considered Asian even if you have a weird Spanish accent.

Oh wait i take that back if you look Asian, you could be of Indian decent, so you could be Asian, but from India, so the average American would consider you Muslim, but not Asian, because the average American only considers Asian looking Asians Asian if that makes any sense?

If you're Asian and Black, well, you probably have a lucrative deal with Nike, so it is dam good to be you Mr. Tiger Woods

If you're Black, but bleached your skin white you'll be considered black by census data, but a crazy dead pop singer by everyone else

If you're green, you won't be counted as a martian, but if you come in peace, i'm sure most Americans would be happy to welcome you to dinner as long as you used your own cell phone to dial home

If you're white, but you dress like a black gangster rapper, you'll be counted on the census as white, but you'll be no different than any other teenager these days.

Last edited by dorock99; 07-22-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,913,856 times
Why is this relevant?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,808 times
Hey, I thought you said you were peach/pink.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I consider myself black.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM

251 posts, read 825,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Why is this relevant?
Ask this question designers of www.city-data.com

[LEFT]Races in Sacramento:[/LEFT]
  • White Non-Hispanic (40.5%)
  • Hispanic (21.6%)
  • Black (15.5%)
  • Other race (11.0%)
  • Two or more races (6.4%)
  • Other Asian (5.2%)
  • Chinese (4.8%)
  • American Indian (2.8%)
  • Filipino (2.1%)
  • Japanese (1.6%)
  • Vietnamese (1.5%)
  • Asian Indian (1.2%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.9%)
or Sperling's
Race in Sacramento, CA

45.87% of people are white, 15.09% are black, 18.32% are asian, 1.29% are native american, and 19.76% claim 'Other'.
24.37% of the people in Sacramento, CA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 75.63% are non-hispanic).

And I'd like to know in which category I fall (born in Russia, lived in Israel and Canada, half Jewish and half Russian)?!

Also, I wouldn't want ti live in city with high arabic population.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,084 times
Depends on who you ask, LOL!

The Skinheads will say one thing, Liberals another.

I recently had an Irish gent tell me that the *English* whites were the cause of all the racial problems of the world. So to some extent he is echoing the Skinhead view but in a backhanded way, LOL! According to him... "Only the English went around pillaging and enslaving". Also according to this individual, the Romans weren't as bad as the English in this respect, LOL! His claim was that people just don't understand history, and that further... the American Indians weren't done dirty because the American Indians had conquered yet earlier natives and so it was thier Karma to be conquered themselves.

There's lots of ideas running around out there, LOL!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Depends on who you ask, LOL!
That is the bottom line, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum