Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,937,406 times

Advertisements

I have come across several old threads lately--here and on the Fort Worth board--where people have tagged their specific (and often not that related) question to the end of an old thread--
WHY do they do this---there is no problem starting a new thread since they have obviously registered and can post comments...

Frequently the questions are not really a direct continuation of the original OP question or comments---and is just a tangent request for info or comment...
Frankly, (and I know this sounds so inane) this is frustrating...I don't get it... I think it is because they are just too lazy to exit that thread and start a new one...and it is that perception that ticks me off...so most of the time I don't even bother to answer...
am I getting too much sun...is the heat making me cranky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,741,525 times
LOL that bugs me too! I often wonder if it's because they just don't know how to start a thread?

I also don't like when I ask a specific question and someone likes to refer me to the archives.
I want new answers, things could have changed, someone new could answer and give a fresh perspective!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,937,406 times
I ask people if they have done a search when they put in a question that mean reinventing the wheel--it depends on the question but there is always enough current info on our local threads that the answers a search pulls up are viable...even info that is several months old can still be useful depending on what the question is...

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,638,818 times
We have some 9 million unique visitors to this site each month. In addition we have over 370,000 registered members posting over 13,000 posts a day. Now it stands to reason that not every one of these folks are as web forum savvy as some of the people that have been here awhile so yes they do have a tendency to yank up an old thread from time to time. The thing is, once one of these threads gets revived people start posting like mad on them just like it has been on page one for days. That's just life on the 'net and of all the really important stuff going on around us this issue would be quite aways down the the ladder of importance, at least for me.

If everyone that came on board was told to "do a search, there is plenty of old info available" then we might as well just shut the site down and turn it into an archive. Of course when you own a forum that is the last thing you want. New topics, even if it covers something that may have been brought up before, are the lifeblood of internet forums and without them interest in the site simply fades away. All in all I think this is one of the better forums you will find anywhere out there.

Last edited by da jammer; 07-26-2008 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 11:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
LOL that bugs me too! I often wonder if it's because they just don't know how to start a thread?

I also don't like when I ask a specific question and someone likes to refer me to the archives.
I want new answers, things could have changed, someone new could answer and give a fresh perspective!
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
We have some 9 million unique visitors to this site each month. In addition we have over 370,000 registered members posting over 13,000 posts a day. Now it stands to reason that not every one of these folks are as web forum savvy as some of the people that have been here awhile so yes they do have a tendency to yank up an old thread from time to time. The thing is, once one of these threads gets revived people stat posting like mad on them just like it has been on page one for days. That's just life on the 'net and of all the really important stuff going on around us this issue would be quite aways down the the ladder of importance, at least for me.

If everyone that came on board was told to "do a search, there is plenty of old info available" then we might as well just shut the site down and turn it into an archive. Of course when you own a forum that is the last thing you want. New topics, even if it covers something that may have been brought up before, are the lifeblood of internet forums and without them interest in the site simply fades away. All in all I think this is one of the better forums you will find anywhere out there.
As far as referring to the archives, sometimes it's not that archival. Sometimes there is a thread on the next page about your issue. As I have been on CD longer, I am both more and less tolerant about people asking the same thing over and over. For example, I am less inclined to want to answer questions about say, "snow in Denver", and more likely to refer these posters to the weather thread, the weather websites, etc. I am more tolerant about seeing the same questions over and over again. But I still refer the people on if it's about schools, neighborhoods in Denver, snow, etc. I will suggest they read them and then come back with questions. It's a lot more pleasant to answer a question like "I read that Denver gets 60" of snow a year; does this interfere with life in the winter?", than "how much snow does Denver get?". JMO

Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
There is a good (and recent) debate on this topic at the link below. Perhaps you could add something to that topic?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...roposting.html

Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
There is a good (and recent) debate on this topic at the link below. Perhaps you could add something to that topic?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...roposting.html
You so BAD!! Hee hee hee!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,767,826 times
What about link-bumping to keep a topic on the first page?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
What about link-bumping to keep a topic on the first page?
It's addressed in the FAQ. See the link below for details.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/2...up-thread.html

Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,769,516 times
Bumping is against ToS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum