Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times

Advertisements

I read this in a post and don't know what it means:
"Seems like a trolling post."

I went into the TOS to find out what a "trolling post" is and found only:
"Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead."

Now I am DOUBLY mystified! Could you please tell me what is:
a troll? and
a trolling post?
Thank you!

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
A troll is someone who posts controversial or mean-spirited topics or replies just to be doing something, or to bait other posters, or just to cause trouble. Generally their posts don't add anything, but rather are a irritation to other members.

A typical troll topic might be "Aren't all Christians stupid?" or "Only drug addicts and ugly women live in Fort Worth". Anything to get an emotional response.

Last edited by alleycat; 05-04-2008 at 04:39 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
A troll is someone who post controversial or mean-spirited topics or replies just to be doing something, or to bait other posters, or just to cause trouble. Generally their posts don't add anything, but rather are a irritation to other members.

A typical troll topic might be "Aren't all Christians stupid?" or "Only drug addicts and ugly women live in Fort Worth". Anything to get an emotional response.
Your examples are so funny!! Thank you, Alleycat! I get it now.
So a "trolling post" would be a troll saying a troll-like comment per your definition, right? -- basically making trouble, eh? Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Sometimes it's hard to tell at first whether someone is serious, or just wanting attention (something like a spoiled child). It can take a few posts before someone can be identified as an actually troll. A moderator will sometimes issue a warning and/or delete the offending posts, and if the same behavior continues they can be banned. This is a drastic step and generally only used as a last resort.

Another point is that just because you or I disagree with someone, that in itself doesn't make them a troll. A troll likes to keeping pushing a point beyond reason, kind of like poking a stick at someone.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,633 times
Excellent explanations, alleycat! Yeah, I agree with everything you said. I guess many of us have made a "trolling" or "trollish" post unintentionally, just talking about some controversial issues. We (I mean mods) try to assess people's intentions first and foremost and that is neither fast nor easy.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Alleycat, you're the best! Do not poke a stick at a bear = the stick is trolling and might turn the bear trollish. Thank you!
And Markablue, you've given me a new word: "trollish"!
What clarity you've both given the subject! Thank you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum