Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,403,043 times

Advertisements

I've noticed several racists and sexually offensive threads popping up on City-data, and certain forums seem to be more vulnerable to them than others. A few of these threads have been closed but a others continue to reign on for pages and pages. I've reported these threads several times and I know that others have as well, but to no avail.

People of all races and all sexual leanings visit this forum for information everyday and some eventually become members of our community. I don't feel it is constructive to post threads that are insensitive and hurtful to certain groups of people.

I know that City-data hopes to continue to grow its membership and its number of postings per day. Threads that discriminate against members discourage them from staying. I myself do not want to continue to participate in an atmosphere of growing hostility and exclusion.

Is there anything we can do to make City-data a more welcoming place for everyone so that it can continue to grow and flourish and reach its goal of becoming on of the most popular message boards on the web?

Thanks,

GreenMachine

Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,466 times
We try not to censor anyone's opinions. Unless they are personally targeted against other users, or really go beyond any level of tolerance, we try to be open to the whole spectrum whether or not we agree with the views presented.

If you reported a post and nothing was done, you are welcome to DM a senior moderator to investigate. We would rather not discuss any particular issues in public because we don't want to antagonize anyone here.