Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Announcement: indicates revived old thread. Reviving older threads is fine on our forum. Many people are still finding and reading older threads and updating them is helpful.
This does not seem to be working. I'm not seeing any old revived threads with this signification. Even though many are 3-4 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,845,711 times
The icon only stays in place for a limited time (two days?), then goes away. After that, old threads don't look any different from new ones.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
The icon only stays in place for a limited time (two days?), then goes away. After that, old threads don't look any different from new ones.
Why does it "go away"?

IMO an old thread topic is an old topic even with new post added the central topic remains "old stuff".

Heck, I find the new identifier icon to be most helpful in identifying topics that may have been hashed to death so I may avoid them.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times
As soon as you open a revived thread with no 'old' icon....or any thread....look at the date of the first post.
Click on 'View first unread" and skip all the old posts.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,747,777 times
We've just increased the length of time for which this icon will be shown to 7 days.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
problem is we have way too many "Old Thread Police". I see many threads reopened with comments. However someone is going to put on their "Old Thread Policeman" badge and mention that the person responded to an old thread. Next someone will comment that its alright to open the old threads. next 5 more will add post pointing to the announcement about the old threads, Soon, you have triple the original post and they are all just talking about the opening of the old thread, nothing to do with the topic or added information. Maybe we shouldn;t mention or do anything with the old threads and let it go back to the ocassional comments about it being reopened.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,274,533 times
Please, report such posts as off topic to your moderator and they should be removed.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
for my POV--while I understand it is the site's owners position that having any old thread eligible for vampire status--in that it never dies--
Most of the time those threads are reactivated w/o any really legitimate reason by someone who has no exposure/experience with CD forums--
Sometimes people waste time trying to find the post that DID reawaken the thread to see if that poster might have request/comment that should be addressed...
It is extremely frustrating and time wasting at times
IF the CD powers that be want to allow that policy to continue they could write code to signify this is a thread coming back from beyond by having it coded in different ink color or with some type of designation--which I am not aware exists--
And I mean a thread that is more than 6mo or a year old--
Some of the threads that have been awakened have been 4 yrs old when the info in that thread has probably been revised/updated on other more current threads
Maybe CD likes that to happen because it churns threads--
I don't know--
but from the perspective of someone who is fairly active in the DFW forums and has several years of participation, most of the time I read one of those threads I am thinking--"why did they tie their comment/question to such an old thread vs starting a new one which would be more appropriate to THEIR need"--
this complaint is not about me per se--although I might be the only one with this POV--
It just seems that most of the time these resurrected threads are just not an efficient use of anyone's time

IF CD wants to allow this feature--could they at least have a pop-up screen that asks if the poster would rather start a new--personalized--thread on this topic and make it easy to do
Sometimes they just resurrect a post because they don't want to go to the trouble or know how to start a new thread...as simple as that...

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM

269 posts, read 864,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
-
I don't know--
but from the perspective of someone who is fairly active in the DFW forums and has several years of participation, most of the time I read one of those threads I am thinking--"why did they tie their comment/question to such an old thread vs starting a new one which would be more appropriate to THEIR need"--
this complaint is not about me per se--although I might be the only one with this POV--
It just seems that most of the time these resurrected threads are just not an efficient use of anyone's time
Amen! Moreover, in many instances the advice offered on threads that are as old as most are is dated enough that it shouldn't be relied on.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-21-2012 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
thanks for letting me know I am not the only one who feels reviving an old post--especially one from 3 or 4 yrs past--is not always the best way to use the forum

I understand this is the policy--I just think it could be better designed--
many, many forums mothball posts once they are past a certain shelf life--they can be READ but not reactivated--
It is great to keep the threads archived--I am all about research--but when you search for a topic and multiple threads come up--there is usually a better option than what is often the oldest thread on that topic to post a query/comment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum