Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,109 times

Advertisements

Aside from living in Grand Prairie and Duncanville,I also lived in Abilene on Fort Phantom Lake in 1988.I was told the power plant on the lake is now shut down.Does anyone know why?The years I spent there were days that I will never forget.I've caught the biggest fish and did lot's of hunting there.At night you could hear the coyotes chasing rabbits right through my back yard.I plan to visit and see my old house 24 years later.I lived on Hwy 351 off of I-20.Does anyone know that area today ? I'd like to catch up a bit....Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
I searched the Abilene Reporter-News archives... wtu power plant close and got the following response...

Quote:
AEP has shut down its Fort Phantom Plant

Author:
Melissa Borden / Reporter-News Staff Writer
Date: January 4, 2005
Publication: Abilene Reporter-News (TX)

American Electric Power shut down its Fort Phantom Plant late last week.
The plant's 24 employees are either transferring to other AEP plants or taking severance pay, according to the company. ''It's not something we wanted at all,'' said AEP spokeswoman Linda Caton. ''The reason this is being done is there have been newer plants built throughout the state that are more efficient...

Click here for complete article ($2.95)
As a kid in the 50's, we spent countless summer weekends at the lake, mostly on the west side towards the dam. They called it 'Pearl Point', named after Pearl beer.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
My uncle owned a lake cabin on Fort Phantom Lake for many years and we went out there for many cookouts and fishing/boating activities every spring, summer, and fall from the time I was a kid until I was in my late 20's (my uncle sold the place at that point). My dad, my grandfather and I used to go fishing fairly often on Phantom in my grandfather's boat over the years as well. My uncle and grandfather passed away and my dad now lives in San Antonio. I don't know anyone that has a place on Phantom these days so I haven't been out there in a long time. I've mostly fished lake Brownwood in recent years.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 PM

148 posts, read 358,270 times
My daughter, her husband, and her kids go to the lake frequently. Fishing is still pretty good. The Northeast side of Abilene is building up along West Lake Road and East Lake Road and the Albany Highway. The city is also spending quite a bit of stimulous money to improve some of the park areas around the lake. Sea Bee park has really been improved. Also, there are quite a few improvements being done around the north side of the lake near the dam. I expect the lake to become a more popular place because of all of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas