Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2024, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 50,190 times

Advertisements

We are planning to rent a car out of San Diego (wedding there) and drive to Yosemite National Park for a few days then over to the west coast. My husband is a bit hesitant on staying in San Francisco for a day or two because of the car break ins and robberies. Does anyone know where we can stay in or near San Francisco that would have a tour company to take us to all the hot spots (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf etc., in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 08:40 PM

413 posts, read 456,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglingirl View Post
We are planning to rent a car out of San Diego (wedding there) and drive to Yosemite National Park for a few days then over to the west coast. My husband is a bit hesitant on staying in San Francisco for a day or two because of the car break ins and robberies. Does anyone know where we can stay in or near San Francisco that would have a tour company to take us to all the hot spots (Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf etc., in the city?
I think your husband is under the influence of some very exaggerated faux news media, but you could stay in Marin County (on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge) which is very posh and beautiful. There are plenty of tour companies.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:06 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,296,173 times
Quote:
We used to live just outside of San francisco. Since we never used tour companies as locals, I can't remember the names of them. But I know there is one that has double decker buses that go around the city, where you can hop on and off as you like. You can also rent those little go-kart types of vehicles, which have guided tours built in as you drive. But honestly, you might not even need a tour company at all. Ghirardelli square, fisherman's wharf, and Pier 39 are all very close together, and that's the same place from where you would go on a ferry to Alcatraz. You can also rent a bike from there and go across the Golden gate Bridge to sausalito, which is beautiful. Then you can take the ferry back to San francisco. Definitely be sure to take a cable car. The route that starts at fisherman's wharf and goes up Hyde St is the most romantic one. That cable car line also passes by chinatown, so you really could do all the major tourist attractions on foot and by cable car. I would also recommend checking out Golden gate park, but for that, you would need to take a bus or an Uber.
I believe there is one tour company out in that area though, the takes you around on these tricked out hippie Volkswagen vans and gives you the history of the hippie movement and the Summer of Love. That's very unique to San Francisco.
This will be a great trip! We live in San Diego now, it's fantastic, also tons of great stuff to see. Let me know if you need sightseeing tips as well. In San francisco, be sure to bring a sweatshirt for any activities near the water. Whenever you're near the water, it's extremely breezy, which makes it feel crisp and refreshing. On the Golden gate bridge, it's playing windy. Anywhere outside of San Francisco is warmer in sunnier. Have fun!

Old 05-14-2024, 09:13 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,000,801 times
Living in-state you don't need to do it all in one trip, but if it were me, I'd add Marin Headlands to the S.F. tour and take a day for Muir Woods and Sausalito.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:13 PM

220 posts, read 157,882 times
Quote:
You've received some excellent advice and suggestions in the thread. I happen to be in the camp of people that think your husband is overreacting, but if he is adamant about using a tour company, I know of a great gentlemen who has given private tours of SF and the surrounding area for many years. I have not used his services, but he is very experienced and highly rated. If you are interested in having his contact info, please DM me. I will be happy to share it with you so you can make a decision you are comfortable with.

Welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area! Have a wonderful trip!

Old 05-14-2024, 11:42 PM

13,122 posts, read 7,596,703 times
Rome2Rio.com
Pick your origination and destination. It will show routes, times, and estimated cost. Also hotels. Excursions is found at the bottom of the routes.
R2R is what I used for Europe and reasonably good for domestic travel.
Off hand, take the BART (pick your starting point) into SF.

Last edited by leastprime; 05-14-2024 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 07:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,320,501 times
Ft Mason hostel is close to wharf and had free parking(last I stayed there).

Presidio has a couple lodging options that are likely very safe for cars and guests.
There is a free shuttle bus to Union square and embarcadero.

We usually take a few of the free library walking tours. Often you can fit 3 - 4 day.

A private tour would be quite nice, in you find a considerate a fun tour guide.

We've also stayed north of the city and commuted via ferry,. The late evening ferries back across the bay have great views of the city and bridges. You can get a transit pass that's allowed on everything except trollies. (We got ours via mail, before arriving)
"Clipper card"

Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

216 posts, read 146,845 times
if your worried about car break ins , always park your vehicle at indoor parking garages , it's much safer than parking on the street , the thieves usually drive around looking for cars to steal from , by parking indoors you make yourselves less visable , they cant make a quick get away or smash and grab if your parked inside a parking garage

they do target tourists , never leave your vehicle unattended even in front of hotels , they know your luggage , valuables are still in the vehicle.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,653,269 times
My favorite place to stay is in Japan Town. It’s neat, clean and safe. There’s many nice hotels. I enjoyed the tour of Alcatraz and Angel Island. You buy one ticket to do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland