Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:25 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rockridge isn't near the city center or any "happening" area, though it is a good neighborhood with shopping and everything you need nearby. It's more of a family nabe, though.
Rockridge is somewhat safe unlike most areas in Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd somehow envisioned the OP in a condo. He has a good rent allowance; he should be able to find something nice in the area he wants.
He can rent a condo no problem, the issue is with a purchase. He could get an equivalent condo at half price or less in Chicago.

Chicago is also much less expensive for many other things. For example their electricity rate is only around 14 cents per Kwh. In the Bay area PG&E has the highest electricity rates in the world with a top rate almost 400% higher than Chicago.

The state income tax is only 4.95% in Illinois vs a CA rate of 9.3% in the OP's income range.

Illinois also does not tax distributions from IRA accounts, 401k plans or pensions, unlike California.

He could move to Chicago and retire 5 years earlier compared to the Bay area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 06:58 AM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Rockridge is somewhat safe unlike most areas in Oakland.

He can rent a condo no problem, the issue is with a purchase.
The OP didn't say he wanted to buy, did he? Though Chicago would probably have more of the "happening" stuff the OP's looking for, than Oakland, though Oakland's definitely got it, too.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:10 PM

16 posts, read 19,412 times
Seems like you already know pretty well what you'd be getting in the Bay Area, and living in Duluth, it would seem that you would also know approximately what you'd be getting in Chicago. Personally, I'd always rather live in the Bay Area versus Chicago because of weather and outdoor activities, but having been to Chicago a few times, I do think as as city it ranks right up there with San Francisco, maybe even above it.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:38 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenomoreno View Post
having been to Chicago a few times, I do think as as city it ranks right up there with San Francisco, maybe even above it.
It's one of the great American cities.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:16 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenomoreno View Post
… Chicago …, I do think as as city it ranks right up there with San Francisco, maybe even above it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
It's one of the great American cities.
Personally, and I’ve been to Chicago a LOT, I hate everything about the place. But then, I’m not any fan of Oakland either.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
Trying to decide where to move. Have choice of Chicago or San Fran. Would work in San Fran near Union Square but live somewhere else to save money.

45 yo single black guy with no kids. Maybe spend like $3400 month on rent. Like to be near city center; arts theaters, comedy clubs, food, girls/ladies/women.

No need to mention difference in weather. I know the bay area is nice. I spent about 10 years in NorCal previously. Now living in Duluth, MN.

I'm new to this platform and ran across your thread. Now I feel vested in where you actually end up LOL. Your Chicago post originally caught my attention. We have common stats and interests. My only suggestion, since you seem to have some time to make your decision, is to visit the 2 cities in areas that you've narrowed down, speak with residents and get a feel for the city. I'm not sure if it was mentioned in previous threads, but the West Loop area in Chicago seems to fit your lifestyle. Best wishes!

Old 04-09-2024, 10:55 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Read Post 10, neighborhoods in Oakland, BART is a way to get to SF; childhood home in Oakland. Think of weather, a variety of nearby towns to visit, wine country, Lake Tahoe, Mendocino, all within a couple of hours.

Lived in Chicago, , flat, snow, humid. The people, best pizza....is what I fondly recall.

Do keep us Posted; peace with your decision.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Chicago these days. Oakland is currently a hot mess and doesn't have the same vibe as before the pandemic. Chicago's winter suck, but it's hard to enjoy Oakland's better weather when you're worried about crime. Rents have fallen a lot, so why not just live in SF proper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland