Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the thread about earthquakes in California and someone mentioned quakes being like "E Ticket" rides. This caused me to think about the "E" Ticket, along with some other nostalgic things I remember from growing up in Southern California. Here's a list that comes to mind off the top of my head. Anyone else have anything they'd like to add?

Disneyland Tickets: A, B, C, D, & E Denominations. "A" was least expensive, and could mostly be used for the trolley on Main St. and similar attractions. I don't really remember what the "B" tickets were good for, maybe the shooting gallery? (remember that, too?) "C" tickets were for middle of the road attractions, but I can't remember which they were. Maybe the steamship "Columbia," or the Train around the park? "D" tickets were for the better attractions, but not the best ones. It's the "E" ticket rides I remember best, such as the Matterhorn, the Jungle Cruise, and Space Mountain. I think even "Small World" was an E ticket ride, although I can't imagine why, since you could never get that song out of your head!!!

The Helms Bakery man: He used to deliver fresh bread through my neighborhood in his old (probably new at that time) Suburban Panel Truck.

The Carnation milk man: Yup, we had fresh milk delivery back in those days, too.

The family farms in the San Fernando Valley: There were quite a few farms and dairies in the Valley back in those days. I think of the ones I remember, there is only one left. It's the one on Rinaldi St. in Mission Hills.

The Principal's Paddle:
I remember this one, too. Back in those days, if the teacher thought you were out of line, he or she could send you to the principal for some one-on-one attention. This meant one paddle to one bottom, repeated, if necessary. I only experienced that once!

The Pacific Electric: This was the public transportation system that Los Angeles used to have. Although I'm too young to have experienced it, I've heard many great things about it. The legend has it that the demise of the P.E. was brought about by General Motors, Standard Oil, and Goodyear Tire, all of which wanted to put people into their own cars.

Marineland: This was a theme park with a marine theme (betcha' didn't see that coming, did ya?). I hardly remember it, since I went there only once, when I was very young.

Busch Gardens: Back in the 1970s, the Anhauser Busch Brewery on Roscoe Blvd. used to have a Busch Gardens Theme Park on the grounds. I remember going there only once, too. When the brewery expanded, they got rid of the theme park. There used to be a number of exotic birds there, and I've heard that they were turned loose when the park went away, and were seen in the Valley for several years after that.

I can remember many of these things from my childhood, most of them very fondly. I'm sure that if I put my mind to it, I will be able to come up with some other fond memories from that era. For now, though, I'd like to hear about what others remember from their earlier days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,669 times
I was born in 1975 and remember Busch Gardens! They had some monkeys, and the exotic birds that did a show.

I loved Marineland, went there many times.

I also loved the "old style" Magic Mountain, with Spiliken Junction...remember...all the wood planks and quaint shops?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post
I also loved the "old style" Magic Mountain, with Spiliken Junction...remember...all the wood planks and quaint shops?
I had forgotten about that. Now that you mention it, though, I do remember.

I also remember when it only took about twenty minutes at whatever time of day to get there from the S.F. Valley. Now you can do so, but it seems mostly mid-day, or late in the evening during the week, or most of the time on the weekend.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Helms Bakery trucks. Wow, growing up in Northridge during the 50's we had one come down our street all the time. I think those were the very best chocolate doughnuts ever. Anyone remember the giant donut somewhere downtown. I can't remember the city, just remember the big giant donut. I think that Van Nuys decorated their downtown to the hilt at Christmas too. The Pantry in L.A had the best hamburgers. My dad was a L.A police officer and we used to eat there all the time. Wish we could turn the clocks back.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
There was a family restaurant on the way back from Laguna Beach that my dad would take me and my brother to. It had a tiger theme, and started with an "S", I think. I used to love that place! It was probably very cheesey, but at 5 or 6 years old, I was easily pleased! Anyone remember what it was called? Samba's, Simba's? I hadn't thought of that in years...

Old 03-11-2007, 01:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
It was "Sambo's". My grandparents used to take me to the one in San Clemente.

People protested because the character was "little black Sambo" and they got accused of being racist. As a kid, I just thought it was sort of a "jungle book" theme....

Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Regarding those birds at Bush Gardens...They did let the parots loose and they have managed to breed and prosper in the wild in the San Fernando Valley. We have hundreds flying around making some crazy sounds..but it's great!!

Old 03-11-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
Helms Bakery trucks. Wow, growing up in Northridge during the 50's we had one come down our street all the time. I think those were the very best chocolate doughnuts ever. Anyone remember the giant donut somewhere downtown. I can't remember the city, just remember the big giant donut. I think that Van Nuys decorated their downtown to the hilt at Christmas too. The Pantry in L.A had the best hamburgers. My dad was a L.A police officer and we used to eat there all the time. Wish we could turn the clocks back.
I'm not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but there was Randy's Donuts that had the big donut on the roof somewhere on the west side, just off the 405, possibly around Manchester or Century, or somewhere close to that area.

The Pantry is still down there near the Convention Center, on Figueroa St. at 9th St., if I recall correctly. They still serve huge portions for a fair price. I enjoy eating there from time to time, especially breakfast, but don't do so very often, since I don't get into that part of town very much. They used to claim that they were never without a customer, but there was one time that the health dept. shut them down, and obviously, they couldn't have a customer there at that time.

How about Cruising on Van Nuys Boulevard? I was too young to get involved in doing so, but some of my older siblings were there. It's a shame that things took a turn for the worse and that cruising became a criminal activity. It seems like society took a turn for the worse around the same time.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:51 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
There was also another kids' restaurant on the way back from Laguna called "The Zoo". My brother and I would get little plastic animals.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
The network television show "The Real McCoys" featured an Ozark family (Walter Brennan hooting, "Little Luke! Little Luke!") relocating to farm in the San Fernando Valley! This was sixty years ago. All farms there are gone and paved over forever, much of it repeopled with dangerous gangs and thoroughly urban illegals.

This area was once a fantastic savannah of alluvial soil that only needed water added to grow tremendous crops, much like present day Ventura, whose agriculture is almost gone now as well. Had we stuck to Mulholland's plan, rife with mendacity as it was, of the S.F. Valley as the ag, factory plant, and outdoor recreation annex of Los Angeles, the whole of Southern California would have been the better for it.

Last edited by fastfilm; 03-11-2007 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California