Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 11:40 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My guess is that during the hot weather season in Redding and the central valley, some homeless or vehicle dwellers migrate north to higher elevation to find cooler temps where they can live outside without AC in relative comfort. At least Yreka, although hot in the summer afternoon, is pleasant at night and before noon. They tend to stay along the main highway routes (especially I-5), and Yreka happens to be just close enough to Redding to reach without buying much gas. Later in the fall as the temperatures cool off, they can almost coast downhill on I-5 back to Redding and the valley.
They do. IF they have a car. There are a lot of these nomads which is just another name for mobile homeless (j/k) and they travel up and stay in Washington state, up across the more northern states of the U.S. and when it's colder, they head for Florida, AZ, NM, TX. Then, they film about their adventures and post them on YT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 11:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Is “Yreka” an alternative spelling of Eureka, or are they indeed two different towns?
Truly wondering.
Two different cities, Yreka is northeast of Eureka and inland on I5, in the Siskiyou Mountain foothills at about 2,500' elevation, while Eureka is on the coast, at sea level on highway 101.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:44 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
My thoughts are that drugs like meth and fentanyl don’t discriminate.
This is the root of the problem, it ain’t unaffordable housing.
Plenty of cheap places to live in the Central Valley like in Stockton, Fresno, Redding and Bakersfield.
Plenty of drugs there too.
Yep.

And some local policies re how the issue is handled.

CNN aired a show last Sunday...'What happened to San Francisco'. A number of the homeless they interviewed had come from Central Valley towns and cities and they cited the low cost of the drugs, the ability to do them out in the open without being hassled, public services, etc. as reasons for coming to San Francisco. Some of the filming was done in 2022, and some in 2023.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:47 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Is “Yreka” an alternative spelling of Eureka, or are they indeed two different towns?
Truly wondering.
Two different towns.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:00 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
Are they bothering anybody (anymore than any other groups might be bothering people)?

If not, then why is this even an issue?
Ya, living at the beach you can't leave anything outside. Homeless will take it no matter what. First floor apartments? Same thing.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:12 PM

46 posts, read 60,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Other than the usual stock arguments (drugs, crime, public safety) not at all.
Of course these things happen in the Hollywood Hills too. Lots of drugs. Likely Overdoses. Likely prostitution. Crime. Noise extraordinaire. But it seems a blind eye is turned to that.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:37 PM

787 posts, read 643,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yep.

And some local policies re how the issue is handled.

CNN aired a show last Sunday...'What happened to San Francisco'. A number of the homeless they interviewed had come from Central Valley towns and cities and they cited the low cost of the drugs, the ability to do them out in the open without being hassled, public services, etc. as reasons for coming to San Francisco. Some of the filming was done in 2022, and some in 2023.
Simply disgusting.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:24 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Quote:
Truly wondering.
My understanding of the name "Yreka" is that it somehow came from an old sign that said "bakery" but had a faded b, and it was read backwards. That was some sort of story I heard.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
Are they bothering anybody (anymore than any other groups might be bothering people)?

If not, then why is this even an issue?
Well, here in San Diego, they do bother people -- the encampments block the public sidewalk, the amount of trash is a health hazard that keeps breeding hepatitis outbreaks, and the mentally ill homeless have attacked cars and pedestrians. If these are more the old fashioned wino type bums, then they are usually harmless. Nevertheless, downtown areas aren't designed for camping, so maybe cities could designate lots for that collective purpose instead of having them randomly scattered

Old 06-08-2023, 08:30 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Simply disgusting.
It pains me to read that. I am a native of San Francisco and lived there for all of my school-age years. Also attended SF State University 40+ years ago. SF has gone way downhill from its golden era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California