Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 06:34 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujouner View Post
And yet more people have left California than any state in the nation. But hell, the increase of poor people in California is increasing. Good job!
Well, well, well … here we go again. You say this as if it is a bad thing. Why? Why is it bad that a state bursting at the seams of the most desirable areas, stressing resources to the max, loses some population? What is the value of more people than what is already by faaaar and away the nation’s largest population? California has waaaaay more people than any other state in the nation … and 25 other states are also experiencing net loss migration …. So in what way is this a negative?

I support the good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 07:07 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, well, well … here we go again. You say this as if it is a bad thing. Why? Why is it bad that a state bursting at the seams of the most desirable areas, stressing resources to the max, loses some population? What is the value of more people than what is already by faaaar and away the nation’s largest population? California has waaaaay more people than any other state in the nation … and 25 other states are also experiencing net loss migration …. So in what way is this a negative?

I support the good news.
I predict crickets until another one comes in and parrots the same nonsense.

Old 04-10-2023, 11:41 PM

55 posts, read 48,521 times
I'll be your Cricket. But I bring a very scary thing to some with their heads in the clouds. Reality via data.

I think there's reason for a bit of concern here for the "everything is just so good because it has been working out so well for a while" people. Trends don't last forever nor do trees grow to the sky says the wise man. And I'm not anti-CA at all, actually considering moving there because we have the means to do so but been following very closely and those who chose to stick their heads in the sand, you might want to follow PPIC which is about as straight ahead/just report the data site and read this that is making us have major pause to consider living in CA:

https://www.ppic.org/blog/whos-leavi...hos-moving-in/

"But the primary driver of the state’s population loss over the past few years has been California residents moving to other states. It is a remarkable turnaround for California—long the epicenter of population growth in the United States. Moreover, while net migration losses were once concentrated among lower-income Californians, newly released data suggest that departures have spread beyond this group. And even as more people move out, fewer are moving in: the state is no longer a significant draw for people from other states of any age, education, or income."

"During the height of the pandemic, the flows out of the state became so large that almost every demographic and socioeconomic group has experienced net losses. For example, California used to gain college graduates even as it lost less educated adults. But in the last couple of years, the state has started losing college graduates as well, quite markedly—albeit still not to the same extent as less educated adults. Even among young college graduates in their 20s, a group that California has disproportionately attracted in the past, the flows out of the state have been about the same as the flows into the state."

"Perhaps most striking, California is now losing higher-income households as well as middle- and lower-income households. "

"However, while the migration of higher-income and more highly educated households is notable, these outflows are still relatively small in proportion to their shares in the state as a whole."

yes, it's a small increase in higher incomes leaving and no matter the reason, it's a new thing and if this trend continues, along with the other points I've highlighted above, for those saying "we are too crowded anyways, who cares, leave!" is illogical and short-sighted and don't comprehend given the states many programs rely upon a solid tax base mostly of high income earners so lose them, what will CA do? Tax higher income even more? Try to collect on people who leave the state, which sounds frankly ultra desperate...someone know something that we don't know crunching numbers? Float Pay "reparation's" in such a climate? Does this sound fiscally rational to any of you given the exodus here? Will high income people be asked to carry even more burden than they are now, fork over what, 20%, 30% of their income and they'll take it and stay? Would you if you made a 2 million dollar salary fork over $400,00 or $600,000 in state income taxes and still smile? I know I wouldn't. I think some of you need to get a little more practical/ground in reality/stop living in fantasy land of what was on what is happening and what might be a long trend what might be a not so nice pretty future. Remember, trees don't grow to the sky forever. Time to ground in reality, what has been happening for years, not live in the glory days many of you seem to be stuck in assuming it will last and last.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:31 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujouner View Post
And yet more people have left California than any state in the nation. But hell, the increase of poor people in California is increasing. Good job!
Nope-there is no statistical whatsoever that CA is seeing a increase of poor people-this is just factually incorrect.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:18 AM

Oh look Ma! The same PPIC article yet again. I think it was part of the talking points meeting they all went to. Maybe the newbie could take the time to read some of the threads on this forum so people wouldn't need the repeat the same things ad naseum?

And of course just another character that dodges the question that was asked...

Why is it bad that a state bursting at the seams of the most desirable areas, stressing resources to the max, loses some population? What is the value of more people than what is already by faaaar and away the nation’s largest population? California has waaaaay more people than any other state in the nation … and 25 other states are also experiencing net loss migration …. So in what way is this a negative?

Last edited by blameyourself; 04-11-2023 at 01:54 AM..

Old 04-11-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert88 View Post
I'll be your Cricket. But I bring a very scary thing to some with their heads in the clouds. Reality via data.

I think there's reason for a bit of concern here for the "everything is just so good because it has been working out so well for a while" people. Trends don't last forever nor do trees grow to the sky says the wise man. And I'm not anti-CA at all, actually considering moving there because we have the means to do so but been following very closely and those who chose to stick their heads in the sand, you might want to follow PPIC which is about as straight ahead/just report the data site and read this that is making us have major pause to consider living in CA:

https://www.ppic.org/blog/whos-leavi...hos-moving-in/

"But the primary driver of the state’s population loss over the past few years has been California residents moving to other states. It is a remarkable turnaround for California—long the epicenter of population growth in the United States. Moreover, while net migration losses were once concentrated among lower-income Californians, newly released data suggest that departures have spread beyond this group. And even as more people move out, fewer are moving in: the state is no longer a significant draw for people from other states of any age, education, or income."

"During the height of the pandemic, the flows out of the state became so large that almost every demographic and socioeconomic group has experienced net losses. For example, California used to gain college graduates even as it lost less educated adults. But in the last couple of years, the state has started losing college graduates as well, quite markedly—albeit still not to the same extent as less educated adults. Even among young college graduates in their 20s, a group that California has disproportionately attracted in the past, the flows out of the state have been about the same as the flows into the state."

"Perhaps most striking, California is now losing higher-income households as well as middle- and lower-income households. "

"However, while the migration of higher-income and more highly educated households is notable, these outflows are still relatively small in proportion to their shares in the state as a whole."

yes, it's a small increase in higher incomes leaving and no matter the reason, it's a new thing and if this trend continues, along with the other points I've highlighted above, for those saying "we are too crowded anyways, who cares, leave!" is illogical and short-sighted and don't comprehend given the states many programs rely upon a solid tax base mostly of high income earners so lose them, what will CA do? Tax higher income even more? Try to collect on people who leave the state, which sounds frankly ultra desperate...someone know something that we don't know crunching numbers? Float Pay "reparation's" in such a climate? Does this sound fiscally rational to any of you given the exodus here? Will high income people be asked to carry even more burden than they are now, fork over what, 20%, 30% of their income and they'll take it and stay? Would you if you made a 2 million dollar salary fork over $400,00 or $600,000 in state income taxes and still smile? I know I wouldn't. I think some of you need to get a little more practical/ground in reality/stop living in fantasy land of what was on what is happening and what might be a long trend what might be a not so nice pretty future. Remember, trees don't grow to the sky forever. Time to ground in reality, what has been happening for years, not live in the glory days many of you seem to be stuck in assuming it will last and last.
All this ^^^ without answering the question as to why a population reduction is necessarily a bad thing?

Oh wait, you think growing ceaselessly in a finite paradigm is the only way to survive? As opposed to, well, being impossible to sustain?

Gee, it’s almost as if you think humans have never made changes in civilizations and economies in order to address constantly evolving conditions and challenges. Sky is falling, eh?

Old 04-11-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:

… trees [don’t] grow to the sky [forever] says the wise man.

… Remember, trees don't grow to the sky forever. …
Yeah. And neither do populations (or tax bases).

Old 04-11-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. And neither do populations (or tax bases).
But when a state doesn't know when to stop spending money on everything/anything including "reparation's" at a time like this with a massive shortfall in revenue, well, you sure as heck better hope your population not only keeps growing to fund it all but better hope big time you don't lose so many people like you are now. Just on san fran alone, I'd love to see them not consider paying 5 million "reparations" payments with so many leaving with all the crime, ceo's getting stabbed to death in the streets in "nice" areas, former fire chief being attacked with a crowbar, 3rd world looking homeless encampments sprawled out with mentally ill all over the place, and maybe start funding the police to keep stores like a newly opened san fran Whole Foods that just closed down because of rampant crime so the employees don't fear for their lives trying to earn a living, yes yes? That costs money, ie tax payers. If you can't fix all these issues with the current tax base, how ya gonna fix it with a dwindling tax base?

In the end, the typical head in the sand/I don't want to hear it/don't disturb my groove defensive responses. It's all good, it really is, nuttin' changes. Yep.

It's as humorous as it is sad but I understand these defensive type posts probably stem from fear from those who live in a place bleeding population, companies, worrying about losing their tax base, and those left possibly in an ugly situation of being the bag holders of a higher burden on many levels. It certainly resonates with us in questioning our sanity in wanting to move to such a state. But weather and beauty only go so far with us and many others it appears.

And hey, most important, people, if you are happy there, think things will be great forever and ever, that's great, life's short, enjoy it. No need to try to convince others in defensive tones. Given we who question things based on hard data who are obviously out to lunch in your view will never "get it", why are thee protesting so much? Why not just sit back given you know the 100% the black and white truth and relax and let us "ignorant" analyzers of data that shows an obvious 180 degree something else is happening?

Last edited by desert88; 04-11-2023 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-11-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
The typical head in the sand/I don't want to hear it/don't disturb my groove defensive responses. It's all good, it really is, nuttin' changes. Yep.

It's as humorous as it is sad but I understand these defensive type posts probably stem from fear from those who live in a place bleeding population, companies, worrying about losing their tax base, and those left possibly in an ugly situation of being the bag holders of a higher burden on many levels. It certainly resonates with us in questioning our sanity in wanting to move to such a state. But weather and beauty only go so far with us and many others it appears.

And hey, most important, people, if you are happy there, think things will be great forever and ever, that's great, life's short, enjoy it. No need to try to convince others in defensive tones. Given we who question things based on hard data who are obviously out to lunch in your view will never "get it", why are thee protesting so much? Why not just sit back given you know the 100% the black and white truth and relax and let us "ignorant" analyzers of data that shows an obvious 180 degree something else is happening?
Hmmm....still dodging the question posed to you. I guess you've got nothing so it's easier to deflect.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Hmmm....still dodging the question posed to you. I guess you've got nothing so it's easier to deflect.
Sure, I'll answer it directly as I did above via an edit:

When a state doesn't know when to stop spending money on everything/anything including "reparation's" at a time like this with a massive shortfall in revenue, well, you sure as heck better hope your population not only keeps growing to fund it all but better hope big time you don't lose so many people like you are now. Just on san fran alone, I'd love to see them not consider paying 5 million "reparations" payments with so many leaving with all the crime, ceo's getting stabbed to death in the streets in "nice" areas, former fire chief being attacked with a crowbar, 3rd world looking homeless encampments sprawled out with mentally ill all over the place, and maybe start funding the police to keep stores like a newly opened san fran Whole Foods that just closed down because of rampant crime so the employees don't fear for their lives trying to earn a living, yes yes? That costs money, ie tax payers. If you can't fix all these issues with the current tax base, how ya gonna fix it with a dwindling tax base?

As far as the nations biggest population, well, yes, it has the largest land area of all states, so logically, yes, it will have more population just given the land mass. And the population is also very concentrated in a very few small areas on the coast. Anyone driving via the central valley/so many others parts of CA know this. If you want space/escape crowds, there are many areas already in CA for people do to that without wanting to bleed out companies/people, it your tax base, like you are championing.

Last edited by desert88; 04-11-2023 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California