Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I'd say that in many ways once you get north of the Conejo Grade it doesn't "feel" like Southern CA any more. With the fields, open views and 20-30 degree drop in temperature, it certainly ceases to feel like LA/OC/IE.
Maybe not but try telling someone in Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo that they are not part of Southern California. Where I grew up in Port Hueneme we could be on the Coast Highway and head south to Point Mugu and be in Malibu within a half hour or so. As far as I am concerned Malibu is part of Southern California and a place that has that close of proximity to Malibu must also be part of Southern California. Also once upon a time the OC was a place that has lots of fields and citrus.

Here is a question though, Do you consider Valencia, Canyon Country, Magic Mountain as part of Southern California? Those places are further north than the communities on the other side of the Conejo Grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here is a question though, Do you consider Valencia, Canyon Country, Magic Mountain as part of Southern California? Those places are further north than the communities on the other side of the Conejo Grade.
Me personally, I consider west Ventura County part of Southern CA, but it does seem like a "transition zone" in a way as one heads north along the coast. Valencia, Magic Mountain SCV -- with its wide boulevards and master planned developments -- definitely feels like Southern CA, but that area also has a completely different feel than the more rustic Oxnard/Ventura. MHO.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
A lot depends on where the asker lives. I have known folks in Del Norte County who considered Ft. Bragg to be southern California.

There have been over 100 attempts to split the state in two--none have succeeded. Some started even before California became a state: there was a short-lived attempt to make California into two states before its admission to the Union, with northern California as a free state, and southern California with slavery allowed (the Southern states wanted more slave states.) Fortunately that didn't happen!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Santa Barbara is the begining of SoCal IMO. Culturally, weather-wise, etc. I don't see how SB cannot be considered SoCal.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
A lot depends on where the asker lives. I have known folks in Del Norte County who considered Ft. Bragg to be southern California.

There have been over 100 attempts to split the state in two--none have succeeded. Some started even before California became a state: there was a short-lived attempt to make California into two states before its admission to the Union, with northern California as a free state, and southern California with slavery allowed (the Southern states wanted more slave states.) Fortunately that didn't happen!
Not to mention the mythical State of Jefferson!

Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon - A State of Mind

Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Santa Barbara is the begining of SoCal IMO. Culturally, weather-wise, etc. I don't see how SB cannot be considered SoCal.
I always thought we need at least 3 states made from California.

The question is where to draw the 3 lines.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
If Santa Barbara is in then all of us in Ventura County are safe. I would agree that a place like Santa Barbara with its many mega stars, directors, singers, and others living in the area would make it more part of the Southern California life style.

Another point to make is where does an area get its news from. Most of the people I know in Oxnard and Ventura watch LA news stations. Maybe not to get news but for a look at some of the professional news people with their low cut tops, short skirts or tight pants.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM

57 posts, read 184,376 times
My point of view: State of Jefferson News Page This is Northern California.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 PM

97 posts, read 578,871 times
Default SoCal/NoCal

having lived in both, I've frequently pondered this question. Here's what I came up with:

Several years ago, Unocal was giving away baseball pins. I happened to notice that the Dodger pins were given away as far north as Paso Robles (SoCal). The Giant pins started north of there in King City (NoCal).

Being a SoCalster by birth and preference, I resist calling the northern half NorCal (as they prefer) and instead like to use NoCal which is a bit more descriptive.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,981 times
Do you have Safeway or Vons? That's one criteria I've used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California