Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 02:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,973,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
but for example my chilhood friend was saying that I would regret it...
Someone said the same thing to me about eating beef tongue. Decades later it's still one of my favorite meats.

In other words, you 'll never know until you make the change. One man's hell is another man's paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 01:00 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,288,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
So what makes you like California? BTW I went to Charlotte last year and it was great.
The scenery/weather/lifestyle is tough to beat. It's hard to ever be bored as long as you have some time or money on hand.

If you like big cities (SF/LA/SD/SAC), mountains/skiing/snowboarding (Sierra/Tahoe/Mammoth), beaches (San Diego/Santa Barbara/OC), surfing (Santa Cruz/Malibu), diving (Monterey/Catalina/Channel Islands), HUGE trees/forests (Humboldt/RWNP/Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia); deserts (Death Valley/Joshua Tree/Palm Springs); wine (Sonoma/Napa/Paso Robles/Solvang/Temecula); theme parks (Disney/Universal Studios/Six Flags/etc)... you will probably like California.

If you don't like those things, or you want everyone to look/think/act like wherever you're from, it may not appeal to you. It's also crowded, expensive, tough to get around without a car (TRAFFIC!). The only way to know if you'll like it is to see for yourself.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The scenery/weather/lifestyle is tough to beat. It's hard to ever be bored as long as you have some time or money on hand.

If you like big cities (SF/LA/SD/SAC), mountains/skiing/snowboarding (Sierra/Tahoe/Mammoth), beaches (San Diego/Santa Barbara/OC), surfing (Santa Cruz/Malibu), diving (Monterey/Catalina/Channel Islands), HUGE trees/forests (Humboldt/RWNP/Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia); deserts (Death Valley/Joshua Tree/Palm Springs); wine (Sonoma/Napa/Paso Robles/Solvang/Temecula); theme parks (Disney/Universal Studios/Six Flags/etc)... you will probably like California.

If you don't like those things, or you want everyone to look/think/act like wherever you're from, it may not appeal to you. It's also crowded, expensive, tough to get around without a car (TRAFFIC!). The only way to know if you'll like it is to see for yourself.
Agreed. But traffic, being crowded and needing money is only an issue if you live in a coastal urban setting like LA or the Bay Area. 98% of CA is not crowded, etc. But, yes LA and the Bay Area are

Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,288,203 times
I think that's a pretty big exaggeration. Most of the places I mentioned, including designated wilderness areas, aren't devoid of people. Traffic jams are a regular occurrence ON THE WAY to these places, too, and you're going to run into people when you get there. If you're talking about extreme northern CA (like Trinity or Modoc counties) or the vast empty stretches of the Mojave which covers close the 1/4 of the state, yeah, you won't find many people or a lot traffic, but those places aren't on most tourists' radars, let alone many Californians (include lifers/natives) who haven't been there either. Pretty much anywhere you are in CA you're never more than a few hours away from either: major cities/metros, mountains, the ocean, etc). 40 million people is still 40 million people.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,020,587 times
I have lived here twice , I left the first time because I lived in Europe for a good while and do not regret that either . I am a SoCal Girl an my sister a Norcal ( who left for a few years to live in Hong Kong for a long while ) . We both Lived in LA for a long time and worked there starting in the 80's . After the last decade in Seattle I am so glad to be back .

We were born and raised in Texas and were terribly out of place . Like from the start. We were both very colorful , free spirits and did not care to go the traditional route with anything and life was very stifling there for us .

We both love the diversity of cultures , the people are bright and interesting , even if very wacky sometimes and many times have such interesting ideas.
We can just be us out here , no stifling , judgment like back home .
The sky is the limit .
Alot easier to eat healthy out here .
It is actually NOT tough to get around without a car . My Youngest lives in WeHo ( West Hollywood ) and prefers no car
The weather yes but better yet no tornadoes or hurricanes .
We both worked in entertainment, which we loved and again was looked down on where we came from .
We were both surfer girls also ..so ...
I cannot live in a house in WeHo anymore but I am only an hour 20 min out in Bakersfield and it is cheaper to live here than in many parts of Texas . Very economical , you do NOT have to be affluent to live here .
I met the love of my life here who was the most interesting person I ever met , born in LA raised in Mammoth , died 2 years ago and is buried in Bishop so I wont leave him ever . I look up in his direction in those glam mountains everyday .
The healthcare is way better and accessible- SOMEONE will help you get healthcare if you want it .
Compared to Texas , people actually care and don't just think of themselves .

57 yr old 8th gen Texan that will never leave here again .

Old 03-23-2020, 06:34 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,283,554 times
The transplants I've known, would NEVER return to their home states.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,753,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
I think there will be a lot of nevadans, etc moving to California in the near future.
The young people might move to CA and work there for several years. After that, they might move back to their home states once they make their money and buy a home with cash.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,913,511 times
It can be be a great place for transplants. But if you can’t generate the cash you’re gonna crash.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:19 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You only have to be affluent if you want to live in LA, Sf Bay area or certain other coastal areas. Otherwise no
But those are the areas where most people want to live.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
I'm expecting big growth not an exodus.
See, california isn't going to be as devastated as a lot of other states because of this virus(diversified economy, yada yada). I think there will be a lot of nevadans, etc moving to California in the near future. I don't like it cause the entire state is already feeling strained, but It's going to happen.
The exodus will be put on hold for now.
That's unlikely. The prohibitively high costs in the areas people want to move to will keep that from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California