Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 10:02 AM

21,747 posts, read 16,378,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
They should make it a crime. Most of these people don't want housing.
Homelessness will never be a crime in a free society. But if you are willing to trash the Constitution, you are free to try overturning that principle on which our nation is founded.

Virtually every one of the homeless would love to have even a bare 8x10 room with a lock on the door and a shared toilet ... let alone an actual little apartment. Every research, study, and interview conducted by professionals in academia, government, media, think-tanks, foundations confirms this. You are buying a mythological stereotyping based on various stories of homeless refusing shelters that are worse than remaining on the streets in certain critical aspects: robbery, violence, bedbugs, sexual assaults, refusal to allow companion pets, disallowance / lack of accommodation for stowing personal belongings, requirements for conformance to sobriety programs, religious services participation ...

If you are interested to understand the reality of homeless desire and potential for successful housing, look up “Housing First” and read about these programs and their success rates. Housing First aims to identify those homeless at greatest need and risk, offer them a room without conditions of sobriety or program participation, and then make counseling and medical and other subsistence needs available on a voluntary basis. The programs exist in cities all across the nation. The rate of long-term housing retention runs in the 85%-90+% range. Many of the residents take advantage of the counseling and other services as well once they are freed from the survival pressures of street life and can catch their breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 11:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Forget about morality and ethics. This is strictly a practical question I pose. What legal, affordable, effective plan do you have for dealing with the factual reality that humanity has always had a segment that is not some combination of luckier than, as smart as, as disciplined as, as intellectually capable as people like you and I?

I doubt we can pull it off but the Third World Latin American countries decided the plan was to encourage emigration by any means. You not only get rid of your undesirables but get remittances in return.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:16 AM

21,747 posts, read 16,378,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I doubt we can pull it off but the Third World Latin American countries decided the plan was to encourage emigration by any means. You not only get rid of your undesirables but get remittances in return.
Lmfao. As if it is policy. What a gag. You should consider a standup gig ...

Old 11-01-2019, 11:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
Quote:
Lmfao. As if it is policy. What a gag. You should consider a standup gig ...

It IS a policy. Why else would Mexico be opposed to a wall? Name one logical reason why Mexico would actively oppose every measure to fight illegal immigration within the boundaries of the USA?

Old 11-01-2019, 11:59 AM

7,165 posts, read 4,567,553 times
Reno has escalating rent and house prices and it’s making people homeless. Landlords are demanding huge increases which the wages don’t support. Locals are being driven out while Californians are moving in. We also have attracted tech companies with higher wages. It’s a dilemma and I don’t know enough about rent control to have a educated opinion although that has been suggested by our mayor.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:07 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,802,666 times
Quote:
Homelessness will never be a crime in a free society. But if you are willing to trash the Constitution, you are free to try overturning that principle on which our nation is founded.

Virtually every one of the homeless would love to have even a bare 8x10 room with a lock on the door and a shared toilet ... let alone an actual little apartment.
Yeah, I know ya can't lock 'em up exactly, I was just trying to get yer goat.....sorry. What they used to do was just move 'em along constantly, and it worked to some degree. It's a tough one, ain't it? What do you do with 'em?

Regarding "Virtually every one of the homeless would love to have even a bare 8x10 room".....I don't believe this for a second.

a) One of our friends worked for the Govt with the homeless in SD. Spent countless hours walking the streets and interviewing these people. Their stats were over 90% preferred street life, Govt stats.

b) A recent (2017 I think) attempt that I followed in OC to clean up one of the river channels resulted in slightly over 400 persons being given everything by the Govt. Free room and meals, free medical/dental care, job offers, everything....All they had to do was stay in the provided housing for 30 days and give up drugs, booze and their other illicit habits. Guess how many chose to take advantage of the program...? 7.

I hear/read about too many of the same type of studies to buy into your way of thinking at all. If it makes you happy and works for you, fine, stick with it. I'm sure you have your books and studies that support your way of thinking.....I just ain't buying it.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Reno has escalating rent and house prices and it’s making people homeless. Landlords are demanding huge increases which the wages don’t support. Locals are being driven out while Californians are moving in. We also have attracted tech companies with higher wages. It’s a dilemma and I don’t know enough about rent control to have a educated opinion although that has been suggested by our mayor.
If people can't afford to live in an area as it changes and prices increase, then they need to move elsewhere. That's not an pretty or easy solution, but it is a realistic one....

Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,567,553 times
Woody, I partially agree but some are seniors that their support system is here. What about a single mom that depends on free daycare from her mom, etc. If you are barely getting by you don’t have money to move. It’s complicated.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Woody, I partially agree but some are seniors that their support system is here. What about a single mom that depends on free daycare from her mom, etc. If you are barely getting by you don’t have money to move. It’s complicated.
I know, I didn't mean to sound so harsh.....but I think a lot of the people who end up homeless could have made better choices......

I know, it is complicated, but throwing Govt (our) money at it will not help....much.....

Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,337,383 times
Quote:
Nothing at all complicated about that. Move. Get another job. Move back in with mom. Go after the father for child support.

The REAL problem here is taking one persons problems and making them everyone elses problem.

To wit...what's fair or even right about forcing everyone else to pay for the aforementioned womans hot, most likely, self inflicted mess?

Why should a landlord be forced to accept less than what property is (or should be) worth? Who gets to dictate those arbitrary values and equally important, WHY? How is demanding a free or substantially discounted rent being any less greedy than those same landlords you are lamenting? Why is this greed acceptable on one side of the transaction but not the other?

I mean think about it., Taking this preposterous logic one step further, If you are a seller on Ebay, should we require that we sell the item to the 5th highest bidder "because he really really wanted it the most (even though his bid amount says otherwise)?

Where does this insanity end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California