Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:05 PM

686 posts, read 806,957 times

Advertisements

charlotte has also been overtaken by NE transplants looking to get refuge from the liberal mess they moved out of, except they want to bring it with them along with their aggressive driving and bad attitudes. Our neighborhood might as well be NJ. I have family in Philly and I hate visiting because the people are so rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 03:32 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Seriously?

Well truth be told there is more to life than low taxes and nonliberal politics. NorCal is a different world compared to LA. Eastern CA even more so.

And for the record, I’m not a CA booster. More of a person who is tired of bashers of where I live. Go away or stay away and just be ok with other people’s choices.
I don’t understand your post.
Are you trying to quote me or the poster I quoted?

Old 10-28-2019, 10:52 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post

We would probably never consider going back to the PNW because of the weather but we always enjoyed SoCal when we would spend time down there so we were thinking the Ventura/Oxnard area may fit the bill and have more affordable housing. We have also spent time in San Diego and would consider the outskirts.

We would spend around 600-650k for a home. could afford more but dont want to. I work from home and we home school so rush hour traffic and commuting wont be that big of a deal.
Affordable housing in SoCal? Your best bet is in Riverside County, San Bernardino County or Lancaster/Palmdale

Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I'd suggest taking time looking at all options in all counties in CA. You might be surprised by some area you never thought of, that might meet your goals.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:37 AM

112 posts, read 130,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Don't engage. There are a ton of online CA haters who either have never lived here, or moved away years ago and are still desperately trying to convince themselves they made the right choice, since they don't have the means to return. Just ignore them.

The taxes on my 800k+ home are 6200 per year, thanks to prop 13. 1% of the purchase price, limited to a 2% increase per year. It's great. In fact, that alone more than makes up for the difference in gas prices. In fact I only pay $500 more per year than I would in a place with half the gas prices. I save thousands in property taxes.

CA's progressive tax structure means I pay less State taxes than I would in a flat tax State like Indiana. That flips if you make more money, of course. However, if you're making 500k per year, State taxes are hardly a deal breaker.

The churches here certainly try to be inclusive and minister to the whole person's spirituality. I can't really make a comparison, since my only other experience is the church I grew up in.

The weather really does make a massive difference in a place's walkability. My family get out and about much more often now, living in a detached single family home fairly far from the town center, than we did even living in a 3rd floor walkup near Davis Square in Boston. Heat, humidity, rain, cold, snow, and all the stuff that drives you indoors just doesn't exist here in coastal socal. You can drive up to the mountains or desert to experience it, then come home to enjoy the outdoors year round.

Enicinitas is my favorite SanDiego town.

Thanks for always providing useful information!! We are moving back and everyone keeps saying THE TAXES ARE HORRIBLE THE GAS PRICES ARE HORRIBLE. But the way you laid it out makes perfect sense. I keep telling people about the progressive taxes (We live in MD, and currently pay VA taxes as husband is active duty military) but it falls on deaf ears. We are so excited to come back - regardless of all the negativity I see on this board. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara County and it will always be home. I can't leave the east coast soon enough.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
Thanks for always providing useful information!! We are moving back and everyone keeps saying THE TAXES ARE HORRIBLE THE GAS PRICES ARE HORRIBLE. But the way you laid it out makes perfect sense. I keep telling people about the progressive taxes (We live in MD, and currently pay VA taxes as husband is active duty military) but it falls on deaf ears. We are so excited to come back - regardless of all the negativity I see on this board. I was born and raised in Santa Barbara County and it will always be home. I can't leave the east coast soon enough.
Do some more research, it can still be cheaper elsewhere, for sure. But if your heart is set on a return, you should do it!

I assume you're not bothered by Santuary State status, intrusive gun laws, and all of that, though....?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:06 AM

112 posts, read 130,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Do some more research, it can still be cheaper elsewhere, for sure. But if your heart is set on a return, you should do it!

I assume you're not bothered by Santuary State status, intrusive gun laws, and all of that, though....?

Thanks Woody. I totally understand that it can be and is cheaper elsewhere. But for now, Ventura County is where we want to be. I am limited by my hatred of cold weather LOL. Florida is on the table as well.

No guns here, not bothered by the politics at all.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:13 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don’t understand your post.
Are you trying to quote me or the poster I quoted?
I quoted you

Old 10-29-2019, 12:11 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanadoodle View Post
Thanks Woody. I totally understand that it can be and is cheaper elsewhere. But for now, Ventura County is where we want to be. I am limited by my hatred of cold weather LOL. Florida is on the table as well.

No guns here, not bothered by the politics at all.
Then it's a great place, can't beat the weather...(way better than Florida IMO, I can't stand humidity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California