Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times

Advertisements

Seems like state oversight has been lacking for years. Has the state started enforcing adequate maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 09:03 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
One issue is that PG&E is so large, and their lines cover so many hundreds of miles, that the effort needed to maintain a system that vast would employ far more crews than they actually employ. They would need to contract out huge amounts of maintenance, and catching up the vast backlog of unmaintained transmission corridors and distribution networks will take years. This is not a situation that developed overnight, but the fact that it's going to be hard and take a long time doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done. It just means that you need to start immediately and do the work on a massive scale, even if that means running in the red for some time. This is not something that can be forever foisted off onto the customers. It is their obligation to protect the public, and simply turning off the power everytime the wind blows isn't going to cut it.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
FIVE DAYS??
With no electricity at all? That’s just crazy.
That means whole businesses have to shut down for a whole work week. People can’t work, get paid. Kids can’t go to school.....no hot showers.....freezers defrost....
Am I misunderstanding this or missing something here?

Old 10-09-2019, 09:06 AM

287 posts, read 212,171 times
Any discussion of wildfires in CA must include how the state's hands-off policy of managing brush and forest lands resulted in huge overgrowth of fuel for the fires. No controlled burning, no regular trimming, no maintenance at all. To top that off, the state (at least last time I checked) has no fixed-wing firefighting aircraft at its disposal until later in the season. Since the state does not control its own force, it must stand in line behind other states and provinces before it can contract the resources. The state has some liability for the spread of the fires, but being the state, that chicken never comes home to roost. The elected leaders have been misusing the state's vast revenues for years, all on the wrong things.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:07 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No you don't understand, jrkliny. The power lines, transformers etc, are what is CAUSING the fires. PG&E is the huge power company that provides power to a large portion of the state. They are notorious for poor maintenance of their equipment and extremely inadequate tree trimming and vegetation mgmt. This lack of vegetation mgmt, combined with extreme dry conditions, and high winds cause tree branches in the power lines to make contact with two conductors causing arcing and the power line falls to the ground starting a fire.
I'm under the impression that those trees are not on PG&E property, with very minor exception. Most of the trees are on public property (Federal, State, County, Municipal, Special Districts, etc). I believe PG&E is responsible for tree trimming only because of legislation & regulation - the Public Sector didn't want to trim its own damn trees.

Other trees are on private property. Again, my understanding is PG&E is responsible for trimming trees on someone's private property solely because of legislation & regulation

If I'm correct about the above (perhaps someone can correct me if I'm mistaken), then much of the problem could have been solved in the first place by both private and public sector entities that own the land assuming responsibility for their trees including their own damn tree trimming.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 10-09-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I have Southern Cal Edison down here where I live. No notices to speak of yet.
There is now in SD County.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
If you have a electric car then you have no car too.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
And they want the state to go full electric.
Humm, then they could shut the whole State down.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm under the impression that those trees are not on PG&E property, with very minor exception. Most of the trees are on public property (Federal, State, County, Municipal, Special Districts, etc). I believe PG&E is responsible for tree trimming only because of legislation & regulation - the Public Sector didn't want to trim its own damn trees.

Other trees are on private property. Again, my understanding is PG&E is responsible for trimming trees on someone's private property solely because of legislation & regulation

If I'm correct about the above (perhaps someone can correct me if I'm mistaken), then much of the problem could have been solved in the first place by both private and public sector entities that own the land assuming responsibility for their trees including their own damn tree trimming.
The utility is responsible for managing the vegetation that interferes with, or is at risk, in it's transmission corridors and beneath it's distribution network. The risk caused by the utility's equipment would not exist, but for the utility's presence on that land. The utility has an easement on public and private land that allows it to do what is necessary for safety, and to maintain its equipment. As a 25 year employee of a California municipal power agency, we trimmed trees and vegetation in those corridors whether the owner of the property, public or private, liked it or not. It was our obligation, and our right, to do so. We displeased many a homeowner when we had to prune or cut down trees on their property, and we mow down a large swath of trees, brush, and grasslands under our transmission lines as required, national forest or not. Without such maintenance, not only would we risk destroying public and private property for which we would be legally and financially responsible, but we would also lose our own assets and incur vast expenses to replace our own equipment. To not do so would be morally and fiscally imprudent, a disservice to its customers and shareholders, and generally a bad steward of the land, and that's what PG&E is guilty of.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-09-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There is now in SD County.

Edison's website is super slow right now, but there's still no alerts from them for Tulare County. PGE covers some of TC's area and I saw something about their alerts on local news last night.

You guys get a lot more wind in SD than we do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California