Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 01:51 AM

50 posts, read 246,565 times

Advertisements

Greetings.
Real stuck; any thoughts? I'm curently living in AZ, am hot-cold about the place. Lived in DC, Mpls., France, Canada - can get rotten bored here and the heat can drive me nuts. Beautiful appt., ok job - "loser" school teacher.. fluent in French, German, some Spanish- love the ocean - feel healed every time I see the water. Where would you live? If you've lived in AZ + California, please respond. Which did you finally chose? Why? Familiar with posts about cost of living, pollution, driving problems, etc. - if you had to "do it all over again" where would you call home? Mid 50s and looking for a "final place" to enjoy..sick of moving around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
Ok, well I've never lived in Arizona, but I have had many family and friends move there.

Granted I am someone who left California by choice after living my entire life there, but if I had to choose between California and Arizona, I'd pick California. I'm not sure why Californians are all into moving to Arizona. If you want a lower cost of living in a less crowded area, there are plenty of places to do so that aren't Arizona. I, too, would be sick of the dryness and heat and would feel healed every time I saw water if I lived in Arizona!

Don't get me wrong, Arizona is a beautiful state. I have enjoyed many visits there, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Of course, why are your final two choices Arizona and California? California - in the metro areas - has a high cost of living, driving problems, crowds, etc. Pollution is not so bad anymore due to improved emissions standards and such. As a teacher you might find California hard to get into financially, but you can swing it if you don't have a lot of family expenses (kids in college?) and would still be happy and comfortable living in a smaller place. If I was a lone teacher wanting to move to California for some cooler weather and the ocean, I'd be trying to land a job in a more peripheral coastal town rather than the big metro areas.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
For me it all comes down to the heat. I can't deal with it. So AZ is out, even though it is a unique and gorgeous state.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:36 AM

50 posts, read 246,565 times
Thank you for the thoughts. I may very well "leap" to SD and then over time, crab crawl north to a mid-size or smaller town. Just to be by the ocean would be a dream come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California