Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,314 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to California City. My , parents bought 2 1/2 acres of land there in 1963.

I now have to decide to keep it or sale it.

Is it worth it to build a new house on the land or would it be better to sale it.

How is the area for finding what you need. Do you have to drive forever to get anything.

Any ideas or help.

Kdm741
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
California City is located off of State Route 14 about 40 miles north of Lancaster and 48 miles north of Palmdale. I mention this because those are the closest cities where you will find decent retail.

California City has an Albertsons grocery store and a few small shops, but nothing beyond that. The major sources of employment are Edwards Air Force Base and a federal prison. The latter is actually in California City.

Demographically speaking, California City is not a very wealthy area. If anything, I would characterize it as lower class to middle class. One negative aspect of California City is that it seems to have drawn a certain element who left Palmdale and Lancaster when those cities began to crack down on crime.

I don't know if California City will ever get any better than it is?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
Well, that was the plan......

Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
California City is located off of State Route 14 about 40 miles north of Lancaster and 48 miles north of Palmdale. I mention this because those are the closest cities where you will find decent retail.

California City has an Albertsons grocery store and a few small shops, but nothing beyond that. The major sources of employment are Edwards Air Force Base and a federal prison. The latter is actually in California City.

Demographically speaking, California City is not a very wealthy area. If anything, I would characterize it as lower class to middle class. One negative aspect of California City is that it seems to have drawn a certain element who left Palmdale and Lancaster when those cities began to crack down on crime.

To be fair, one must also consider the retail in Ridgecrest and Mojave.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
California City PD: 13 sworn personnel serving 12k people... and they have a storm trooper team.

http://www.calcitypd.org/about.html

Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,314 times
Default I did my search

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
thanks, I did my search for what was in the area. I have no problem with what is in the area.

I want to know if it is a safe place to live.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Is this parcel near town or is it out in the vast stretches of emptiness?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Stater Bros in Mojave and Wal-Mart in Ridgecrest are the two most popular choices.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Quote:
There's a Stater Bros. grocery store off of Highway 14 in northern Mojave. That's about it for Mojave.

Ridgecrest's retail scene is somewhat better with a WallyWorld, a Home Depot, a Vons and Albertsons and a smattering of little independent stores. They used to have a Mervyn's in Ridgecrest until it went under. I believe they have still have a Sears catalog store, but I'm not sure?

Tehachapi has a K-Mart. So does Bishop.

If you want anything really nice, however, short of ordering it you'll have to trek down to Palmdale to Macy's or Dillard's.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I believe they have still have a Sears catalog store, but I'm not sure?

Tehachapi has a K-Mart.
Ridgecrest has a K-Mart too. The Sears only sells appliances and lawn mowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California