Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdny View Post
I have friends that still live in LPC and I did live there prior to 2002. I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on the gangs. That's fine.

That's a shame about Hi Let's Eat. Okay so it was not gourmet yuppie grub. My deal was to walk to K-mart on the weekends for their fresh baked cookies and coffee. Give the 99 Cent store a try. You would be surprised at what you can buy there. Same with Foods Co on Central Avenue.

Again I wasn't trying to offend anyone. You did ask where this warm place was and I told you. Wow your reaction was like that of many people in CA. That's cool. I like old cracker towns where folks hang out on the marinas and shore lines fishing and chilling and sweet tea that does not have some sort of weird fruit syrup. We even have a Dairy Queen.

My main purpose of even posting here was to get people to see that Lompoc is not a bad place. However facing the problems that any growing town has is not a bad thing either. One cannot say that they are not crazy about the large Mexican problem without someone being called a bigot or racist.

Take Care. I don't plan on bothering anyone here anymore.
No offense taken. There has been some crime here and they say
its gang related, but to say its congested with gangs, I just dont
see it. Gangs are everywhere here in CA. I will say Lompoc PD does
crack down on it asap. And for what its worth, I love the 99cents store!!
No more Kmart tho I would never call someone a bigot or racist for
saying they arent crazy about the large Mexican problem.I would say the
large "illegal mexican" problem tho, just to clarify. If by overbuilt,you mean
houses, yes, they have built more houses. Something that was needed
here,IMO. You have not offended me, or probably many here. I think
lots of us have thick skin. I know I do.

take care,
Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 117,364 times
Default $

Agreed that Lompoc is not to be singled out for problems. That was my original point. Cool enough. I don't agree that the hillside by the old drive in theatre needed to be torn up and built on nor do I agree that the agri-lands needed to torn up and built on.

Do you live on base? Finally VAFB gave its personnel something nice to live in. I was ashamed of how military people were put up before.

I can though understand the logic of why Mexicans would be in Cali. Makes sense as it was theirs originally. I'm just not comfortable with that culture. I am more into the Anglo culture. I don't hate immigration at all. Maybe more should be done for Mexicans. Maybe they have some legitimate gripes.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Agreed that Lompoc is not to be singled out for problems. That was my original point. Cool enough. I don't agree that the hillside by the old drive in theatre needed to be torn up and built on nor do I agree that the agri-lands needed to torn up and built on.

Do you live on base? Finally VAFB gave its personnel something nice to live in. I was ashamed of how military people were put up before.

I can though understand the logic of why Mexicans would be in Cali. Makes sense as it was theirs originally. I'm just not comfortable with that culture. I am more into the Anglo culture. I don't hate immigration at all. Maybe more should be done for Mexicans. Maybe they have some legitimate gripes.
Nope, dont live on base. Hubs is retired AF, he pretty much
grew up here as a kid. He lived in Vandenberg Village.
Im from Morgan Hill Ca, the bay area. So, Lompoc is small
to me,and cheaper in housing. Im all for immigration when
done legally. Thats another can of worms I wont open. And
the base has had good housing for at least the 6 yrs weve been
here. But, I will say the commisary is the pitts.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 AM

28 posts, read 117,364 times
Default $

They did improve base housing there which was sorely needed.

Compared to bay area locales, Lompoc would appear to be a small town. All depends on your frame of reference I suppose. Our family hometown was Watkins Glen,NY. Makes Lompoc look like Los Angeles these days.

Anyway it's all good as each of us is where we need to be. My own mother could not take the heat of Florida so she remains in cooler climes.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
They did improve base housing there which was sorely needed.

Compared to bay area locales, Lompoc would appear to be a small town. All depends on your frame of reference I suppose. Our family hometown was Watkins Glen,NY. Makes Lompoc look like Los Angeles these days.

Anyway it's all good as each of us is where we need to be. My own mother could not take the heat of Florida so she remains in cooler climes.
Yes, I agree. Peace out!

Deb

Old 09-26-2007, 01:11 PM

142 posts, read 524,076 times
Muck, Ditto on Taco de Mexico, that place has the best burritos!!! And I also love the burgers at King Falafal, King Burger with fries...mmm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muck View Post

This is where my Tongue's pallate was awakened. BBQ, and taco's. Still to this day, I try to recreate in my kitchen the POUND AND POUNDS of taco's and tri tip I consumed in that town. Taco's de mexico was my favorite taco joint.

King fallafel wasn't too bad either, if you were in the mood for a salty, greasy burger, with big crinkle cut fries.. mmmm (make sure you go to the one on the north side of town, not in orcutt.. the orcutt one was never as good.. they probably cleaned their grill more often)

Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,647 times
Angry Hello

So I was searching something on the internet and came upon this website. So I decided I should register and put my opiion in. I've grown up in Santa Maria to all the people who calling this place infested with gangs and hicks. Well youre wrong. This place is a very good town. There happen to actually have educated people in it. Santa Maria is a very comfortable town. Orcutt is a great place as well. There are good schools here. Its just upsetting that you guys are bickering over the town I live in. Every place will have gangs, every place will have hicks. This town has diversity which brings something to the community. And its said to here that my city is so looked down upon. And also about education... We have great teachers here. It all depends on the student, the envoirnment is great. I graduated high school with a 4.0 and was excepted to some good colleges. But because this town i've grown up in is so wonderful I've decided to stay. I am not hick and in a way I take offense. Where I grow up and take a part in my community is getting critzed by someone who does not even know the people who live in it. Santa Maria is a wonderful place to live.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:27 PM

142 posts, read 524,076 times
I agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMaria07 View Post
So I was searching something on the internet and came upon this website. So I decided I should register and put my opiion in. I've grown up in Santa Maria to all the people who calling this place infested with gangs and hicks. Well youre wrong. This place is a very good town. There happen to actually have educated people in it. Santa Maria is a very comfortable town. Orcutt is a great place as well. There are good schools here. Its just upsetting that you guys are bickering over the town I live in. Every place will have gangs, every place will have hicks. This town has diversity which brings something to the community. And its said to here that my city is so looked down upon. And also about education... We have great teachers here. It all depends on the student, the envoirnment is great. I graduated high school with a 4.0 and was excepted to some good colleges. But because this town i've grown up in is so wonderful I've decided to stay. I am not hick and in a way I take offense. Where I grow up and take a part in my community is getting critzed by someone who does not even know the people who live in it. Santa Maria is a wonderful place to live.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMaria07 View Post
I also agree!!! So sick of bashers who have NEVER lived in a place,and
thinking they know it all.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 PM

36 posts, read 168,525 times
We've lived in Santa Maria for almost 3 years and love it. I really think there are two Santa Marias. People living in Northern Santa Maria and those living in South Santa Maria/Orcutt. We haven't seen any problems with gangs but my co-worker who lives in the Northern part of SM has.

100K should be adequate to live on. That is about what my husband and I make and we live nice here. DH is in the oil industry and I am in civil service. I'm not too sure about the education system here. We first lived in the Santa Maria school district when we moved so we enrolled our kids at Valley Christian academy. Now we are in Orcutt school district but we've been extremely happy with VCA so I haven't tested the public schools here yet.

Shopping isn't the best but San Luis Obispo is a ways off and since you'll be working the oil patch, you'll probably spend some time in Bakersfield where the shopping is better. My one complaint is the lack of a big book store. The mall has two bookstores but their selection isn't too good.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California