Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 PM

12 posts, read 80,712 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily true. Even those that are good looking by most standards seem to feel a need to be "better" looking. Unfortunately, age and gravity eventually take over and then what is left?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteboy View Post
The problem you're seeing here in the West is all the Jerks from the East Coast(Sorry if I offended anyone) moving out west because the cost of living is cheaper. I was born and raised in Az. and Utah and lived in both these states for 54 yrs. I know the East Coasters don't want to admit it, but your lifestyle and actions are Rude compared to the laid back West. It never used to be like this in Calif. or Nevada where I live(Las Vegas to be exact. I went to a pro baseball game last Sat. Night and was trying to give away Free tickets by the box office(extras I had for the game) and some jerk got in my face and said he had his and coped an attitude with me just for trying to give people something for nothing. I said"Fine, I'll throw them in the garbage". His buddy finally took them. I have traveled all across the U.S. in my line of work and know a Boston accent when I hear them. That is the problem with the West(I know it is going to Hit East Coasters wrong) but the West used to be layed back and friendly until you people started moving out here ie. about 20 yrs. ago. Please take your big city B.S. and move back to the East. We don't need it here. I deal with it everyday driving to work. I'll get out in the fast lane to pass someone running 50MPH and the next thing I know there is some Jerk driving 90mph plus blowing his horn and giving me the finger until I make my pass. I've driven all over the US and you can't hide your East Coast driving habits with a Nevada or Calif. plate on your car. Do both of us a favor, go back to where you came from and kill yourself on their highways. Sorry if this sounded extreme, but this is what's happening out West.
You are SO right about everything! The same thing is happening in Maryland. We used to be a North-South border state but with the transplants its clearly Northeastern. So many people from Jersey, Long ISland, and Westchester and PHilly bring their rude attitudes, snobbiness, and elitism here. I found California (the Bay Area) to be VERY VERY friendly.

The DC area has been taken over by transplants. Basically if someone is nice you definitely know they are a tourist, a newcomer from the Midwest/South, or an intern from the Midwest/South. The only stranger whose ever talked to me on the subway was from North Carolina, and a small town too. Once I was in an unfamiliar part of downtown DC and went into this random store to ask for directions. The girl there actualy called her roommate to get me the best route. Turns out she was just here for college and she was really from Kentucky.

Now everyone in Maryland drives like crap. What you said about the license plates is definitely true. Whenever I see a car with Florida or North Carolina plates driving like an a__hole, I automaticlly assume they moved there from up north in the last 10 years. Also, I'm Asian American and I think the Norhteast is the most racist part of the country, along with southern California because people in these places are just so "ethnic" in their outlook. I used to live in Louisiana and my cousins used to live in Idaho and in those places everyone was just American, and if you were one of the few who weren't white, nobody cared about that. I actually like it better that way.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 10,857 times
not sure always lived in california pwahaha! x'D !

Old 08-05-2007, 08:02 PM

72,414 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Could it be because we are sooooo friendly,people cannot see why?
We are better looking,culturally diverse,laid back,car lovers,ocean lovers,food lovers,,,,,,,,,

Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM

72,414 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Are we having a problem admitting it?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM

35 posts, read 156,635 times
Haha that's funny because I think the guys here in CA are beyond nice, laid back, and good looking. But then again I grew up here and I live in Orange County so the guys are different compared to where they have lived in CA. I'll admit guys here can be jerks but most of them that are cute are dumb hahaha when it comes to certain things but otherwise I like the guys out here. Or you've just had bad luck haha. Good luck though on other guys! Plus Texas men are known to be gentlemen too.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
This I will say:

I left the Wash DC area back in 1978 for California women, the climate of course and the rustfree cars.....

Suffice to say that all three of my dreams were realized.......to the point that I will never return to the DC area-----even for a visit.

What really struck me about the Californians visiting the DC area in 1976 was how gentle they seemed to be-------unlike the uptight folks back 'home'.

Now: looking at Cali today........I would be perplexed on where to head to if leaving DC now.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,752 times
I am wondering though, does this appearance obsession run rampant through CA or more so in SOCAL? I am at a point where I am questioning my decision to have moved here. I have noticed a marked difference between those raised on the east coast versus those raised on the west coast. As well, it seems that those transplants who have been here longer are more like native Californians. Now I am NOT stereotyping all Californians but I have been out and about quite a bit and have met people from all walks of life here (I think anyway) and have found this appearance obsession to run rampant.

Can anyone tell me if there are other areas of California (coastal preferably) where substance prevails over appearance? I love CA and want to stay here but find myself so missing home and wonder if this feeling of missing substance is contributing to that. I want to stay here but am now researching other areas of the state that might have more of a home town type feel, with charm, etc., but also have the culture I crave that is so close and abundant in the San Diego area. Any ideas? Thanks![/quote]

I was born and raised in California and I have lived in many parts of it. The obsession with looks and rude attitudes have turned me off from many of my fellow Californians. Honestly, when I was visiting Hawaii, Kansas, Nevada, people were just nicer and did not have an attitude. However, I have found that being kind and refusing to fall into the prevalent rude culture has turned some people around. They are surprised that I refuse to be obsessed with my looks and still smile and say hello to people. I found that Crestline, Ca and Big Bear, Ca are both great locales in Southern California. I also enjoyed visiting with people in Idylwild and Wrightwood, Ca because mountain people just seem to be more down to earth. On word of caution, Lake Arrowhead is beautiful, but the people have a true attitude of California looks and snobbiness and I would avoid living there if you can. People can be rude everywhere in the world, but I actually have met people from New York, the South, Northern California, etc who had less of an attitude. Many of my former friends used to tell me how my boy did not look Californian etc. Now I try to look for people who have not be zapped by the California look bug. I think the mountains locations I listed are more down to earth and slower pace. Plus the air is better up there than in LA or San Bernardino.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Could there be a correlation between low self-esteem, appearance obsession, and depression (which may drive mean, rude, or snobby behavior)?

Breast implants linked with suicide in study: Scientific American (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?alias=breast-implants-linked-wi&chanID=sa003&modsrc=reuters - broken link)

Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
Every person that I can think of that was from California seemed on the snobbish side. Like they just think they are above you for whatever reason, they seem to be arrogant, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California