Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times

Advertisements

My neighbor moved here from co. She got her car smogged a few days ago (passed) & now has to register it. How much do you think it will cost ? The car is a 94 lincoln mark8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Be careful what you indicate as the value of the car. We moved from VA to CA in Feb. and thougth, ok, the VA registration is good until June, so we save a few months. Nope. We honestly indicated at the DMV in June, that we arrived in CA in Feb. so my new registration goes only until Feb. and not June, so we did not save a Cent.

Also and even more important: They have asked on a form for how much we bought our car. We filled in the form $30,000 in 2006 and but then they wanted to have $700 for changing the title in CA!!! I said, the car's value decreased for at least 60% since then and it has many miles on it. They said, they don't care about the miles and how old the car is, and they title it after the value what we paid for. And I said, ok, I take everything back and now I am officially selling the car to my husband for $1,000. They said, well, we could put that as the value in the form but at the end of the year we would get in trouble with the tax office, since the value sounds too low. So we agreed on $8,000 and I paid $400 which is still way to much since I paid $1,000 for the Title in Virginia 4 years ago.

To make a long story short: put the lowest amount/value possible in the form, so the titling charges stay low.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM

The ca dmv will rob you blind.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM

139 posts, read 360,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The ca dmv will rob you blind.
As will many other states.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Be careful what you indicate as the value of the car. We moved from VA to CA in Feb. and thougth, ok, the VA registration is good until June, so we save a few months.
I'm facing a similar issue this coming year when I move out of state. Not so! Your new state expects you to re-register as soon as you become a resident. I'm sure lawyers would roll their eyes back in joy at the thought of when a person becomes a resident, how soon they must officially state their new state elegance, etc.

I'm probably going to do it too, unless I buy property, just keep my old registration and drivers license until either or both come up for renewal, or until I buy a new house, there in my new home state.

But I bet you have only 30 days to re-register your cars even if they have many months of registration yet to expire.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm facing a similar issue this coming year when I move out of state. Not so! Your new state expects you to re-register as soon as you become a resident. I'm sure lawyers would roll their eyes back in joy at the thought of when a person becomes a resident, how soon they must officially state their new state elegance, etc.

I'm probably going to do it too, unless I buy property, just keep my old registration and drivers license until either or both come up for renewal, or until I buy a new house, there in my new home state.

But I bet you have only 30 days to re-register your cars even if they have many months of registration yet to expire.
She got pulled over by a cop & got a warning. In ca you have 20/21 days to register your car. A slip of the tounge to the dmv may be costly. The late fees add up. Shes going to say she paid 500.00 for the car.

Back in 02 when i bought my 90 Tbird i paid 2k for it but told the dmv clerk i paid 500.00. Taxes were $40.00 instead $160.00. Nothing wrong with a lil white lie. The state screws us enough as it is.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM

286 posts, read 535,505 times
Keep your out of state plates and park it in the garage. Our DMV will rob you of everything they can.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
DMV fees are set by the Legislature and the DMV has absolutely no control over them. After the budget finally passes, the fees will go up again, as the Legislature is secure in the knowledge that no matter how high they raise them, you'll blame the clerks at the DMV and not the Legislature.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
Keep your out of state plates and park it in the garage. Our DMV will rob you of everything they can.
That would be an incredibly bad idea. Eventually they would catch you, and the penalties would be massive.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
DMV fees are set by the Legislature and the DMV has absolutely no control over them. After the budget finally passes, the fees will go up again, as the Legislature is secure in the knowledge that no matter how high they raise them, you'll blame the clerks at the DMV and not the Legislature.
I know its the foul, greedy legislature who set the fees & we all will be paying more next yr.

The total dmv fees for my friend is $225. Late fees start sept 12th. Her car is 16 yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California