Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 01:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times

Advertisements

I had several short stories published in an anthology a few years ago, on behalf of our local library. Found I have a gift for short stories.

Was published in another anthology in May, called Ghosts of Malta. It's selling well.

Will be published in a library ghosts anthology in the next few weeks, then a hunting anthology in late August/early September.

Working on stories for a "cowboys in space" and a "pinup noir" anthology, plus a second Malta anthology.

Busy as heck now, but it's so nice to be published.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:11 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Congratulations! That's exciting!

Old 07-16-2022, 11:21 AM

2,890 posts, read 989,003 times
That's wonderful! Happy for you. I'm going to look up some of your titles.
Best of luck to you with continued success!

Old 07-18-2022, 07:24 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Congratulations!

Old 08-21-2022, 06:53 PM

Published again:

https://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Libra...ps%2C70&sr=8-2

Old 08-21-2022, 07:18 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Congrats! Advice for aspiring writers?

Old 08-22-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Congrats! Advice for aspiring writers?
Write, write, and write some more. If there's a writer's group near you, join. Our writer's group helps writers write better, help story development, do beta reads, and provide assistance in the independent publication process. We also plan to put together a couple anthologies in the near future.

If you want to start by building your universe, suggest short stories that you can submit to the various anthologies that are going on these days. Some are for charity, so you won't get income from it, but you will get author credit. Others are income producing; not much, but every little bit helps.

You might want to touch base with the publisher of "It Came From The Trailer Park," Three Ravens Press. They have a newsletter where they announce anthologies.
https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/07/t...ublishing.html

In the way out there world of anthologies, look here:

https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/08/r...thologies.html
https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/08/m...n-spaaace.html

Old 08-29-2022, 11:01 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Write, write, and write some more. If there's a writer's group near you, join. Our writer's group helps writers write better, help story development, do beta reads, and provide assistance in the independent publication process. We also plan to put together a couple anthologies in the near future.

If you want to start by building your universe, suggest short stories that you can submit to the various anthologies that are going on these days. Some are for charity, so you won't get income from it, but you will get author credit. Others are income producing; not much, but every little bit helps.

You might want to touch base with the publisher of "It Came From The Trailer Park," Three Ravens Press. They have a newsletter where they announce anthologies.
https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/07/t...ublishing.html

In the way out there world of anthologies, look here:

https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/08/r...thologies.html
https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/08/m...n-spaaace.html
Thanks for the reply. I used to write (early 1990s) but my group fell apart and I'm just getting back to it. I found a group here. Some of the advice they gave me was to start a blog and a youtube channel, since you want to have a following built before you submit a novel to a publisher. I didn't really want to do all that, and I'm not sure how to proceed because I haven't finished, and may not be able to finish, a novel.

Honestly I'm not sure I'm a novelist. My comfort zone was a ten-page memoir. Maybe an anthology is an angle.

The leader of the group is published. One of the things she told me was, "Hey, you're new to the group. We'd rather make the suggestions and let you decide which to adopt than hold our tongues. It's better in the long run." Then she pointed to her paperback, which had several post-it type notes in it. I gathered that after printing it, she realized she had a typo here or the wrong punctuation there, so on amazon it's now "second edition." I guess that's publish-on-demand?

According to these people, if you can sell 500 copies on amazon, they say you are a "best seller."

Old 09-11-2022, 06:45 PM

Published again:
https://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Fish-Ot...s%2C120&sr=8-1

This one is a hunting and fishing anthology, mostly true (ish) stories, with illustrations.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Honestly I'm not sure I'm a novelist. My comfort zone was a ten-page memoir. Maybe an anthology is an angle.

The leader of the group is published. One of the things she told me was, "Hey, you're new to the group. We'd rather make the suggestions and let you decide which to adopt than hold our tongues. It's better in the long run." Then she pointed to her paperback, which had several post-it type notes in it. I gathered that after printing it, she realized she had a typo here or the wrong punctuation there, so on amazon it's now "second edition." I guess that's publish-on-demand?

According to these people, if you can sell 500 copies on amazon, they say you are a "best seller."
I'm having a blast submitting stories to anthologies. I now have enough out there (four) that I set up an author page on Amazon.

Errors can be corrected easily in e-book versions. The author submits version 2 or whatever, and e-book readers get an update to download. With print-on-demand anyone who orders a hard copy will get the current revised version.

Spousal Unit has sold just under 30,000 books on Amazon, from his five independently published novels and the two anthologies he's in. He's feeling pretty successful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing