Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,602 times

Advertisements

Kiru, you wouldn't happen to qualify for jus sanguinis citizenship in any European country, would you? Jus sanguinis means "right of blood", and some countries provide immigration priviledges to persons with ancestry from their nation. Some examples are Ireland (if you have at least one grandparent who held Irish citizenship), Italy (if you have an ancestor who held Italian citizenship and who died after 1861), Poland (if you have an ancestor who involuntarily lost their citizenship between 1920 and 1989), Spain (if at least one grandparent held Spanish citizenship). Others, such as Germany, have jus sanguinis for refugees of "German origin", but convincing them you're a "refugee" from the USA is going to be a pretty hard sell. If you're like me, an American with no foreign ancestors for 200 or more years, you're probably out of luck as far as jus sanguinis goes.

For UK citizenship, you have to have:
-- five years legal residence in the UK
-- been outside of the UK no more than 90 days during the one-year period prior to filing the application.
-- indefinite leave to remain or equivalent must have been held for 12 months
-- the applicant must intend to continue to live in the UK or work overseas for the UK government or a British corporation or association.
-- show sufficient knowledge of life in the UK, either by passing the Life in the United Kingdom test or by attending combined English language and citizenship classes. Proof of this must be supplied with one's application for naturalisation. Those aged 65 or over may be able to claim exemption.
-- meet specified English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic language competence standards. Those who pass the Life in the UK test are deemed to meet English language requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 PM

860 posts, read 1,340,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Kiru, you wouldn't happen to qualify for jus sanguinis citizenship in any European country, would you? Jus sanguinis means "right of blood", and some countries provide immigration priviledges to persons with ancestry from their nation. Some examples are Ireland (if you have at least one grandparent who held Irish citizenship), Italy (if you have an ancestor who held Italian citizenship and who died after 1861), Poland (if you have an ancestor who involuntarily lost their citizenship between 1920 and 1989), Spain (if at least one grandparent held Spanish citizenship). Others, such as Germany, have jus sanguinis for refugees of "German origin", but convincing them you're a "refugee" from the USA is going to be a pretty hard sell. If you're like me, an American with no foreign ancestors for 200 or more years, you're probably out of luck as far as jus sanguinis goes.

-- been outside of the UK no more than 90 days during the one-year period prior to filing the application.
-- the applicant must intend to continue to live in the UK or work overseas for the UK government or a British corporation or association.
-- show sufficient knowledge of life in the UK, either by passing the Life in the United Kingdom test or by attending combined English language and citizenship classes. Proof of this must be supplied with one's application for naturalisation. Those aged 65 or over may be able to claim exemption.
-- meet specified English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic language competence standards. Those who pass the Life in the UK test are deemed to meet English language requirements.
Hi, thanks for the info, but unfortunately for me I don't qualify for jus sanguinis since I don't know any of my grandparents. From what I do know I don't think they had citizenship anyway. I'm planning on living in the EU and going for citizenship. My biggest problem now is finding the money needed for grad school and I'd need to have a job there as well as I am not rich. And I can only imagine how hard it'd be to pay international fees for an English school using just English dollars.

I've considered doing Grad school in the US then getting a job in the EU, but I'm really anxious to start my emigration now. I don't know. Anyone know if the UK needs geologists? :-P

Old 04-11-2007, 05:18 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Ask your parents and make sure none of your grandparents or great-grandparents were emigrants, claiming citizenship that way could save you YEARS if you're lucky enough to have, say, an Italian great-grandfather. As for grad schools, check out: http://www.gradschools.com/listings/UK/geology_UK.html (broken link)

There seem to be a few scholarships for Americans pursuing geology degrees in the UK. Have you ever been abroad? If not, I'd recommend making a trip to the UK or wherever else in Europe you're thinking of moving; the last thing you want is packing your whole life up and moving halfway across the world only to get there and discover you hate it!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Ask your parents and make sure none of your grandparents or great-grandparents were emigrants, claiming citizenship that way could save you YEARS if you're lucky enough to have, say, an Italian great-grandfather. As for grad schools, check out: http://www.gradschools.com/listings/UK/geology_UK.html (broken link)

There seem to be a few scholarships for Americans pursuing geology degrees in the UK. Have you ever been abroad? If not, I'd recommend making a trip to the UK or wherever else in Europe you're thinking of moving; the last thing you want is packing your whole life up and moving halfway across the world only to get there and discover you hate it!
Wow, this site in incredibly helpful! Thanks so much! All of the schools I've looked at so far on my own only offer Ph.D's and I'd rather get my masters first, get a job, then go for the Ph.D. in what I know I like. Thanks so much!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:51 AM

13 posts, read 67,921 times
Quote:

5 years of legal residence if on only work permit, 10 years is required if you combine time spent on student visa and work permit.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
5 years of legal residence if on only work permit, 10 years is required if you combine time spent on student visa and work permit.
Thanks for the info! I plan on staying in the country so long as I can get a job after college in that country. Yea, ten years sounds about right. I think that's about what we have in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World