Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times

Advertisements

Ok the problem with these pictures of Hong Kong is that they are all WAY TOO small. The real Hong Kong sky line must stretch for something like 5 miles. The catch to it though is that it isn't very wide because of the mountains on Hong Kong island.

Imagine, for example the whole west side of Manhattan having skyscrapers lined up along the hudson river. Thats basically what Hong Kong looks like. The city isn't anything like Miami or any of the new southern cities. It is very lively, definitely comparable to NYC.

They don't have anywhere near the diversity that NYC has though. I believe close to 95% of the population is Chinese. There are only very small communities of Indians, Europeans, and Southeast Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
There is no iconic architecture in Hong Kong - it's just neon. No classic buildings, just glitz. I've been there and it really doesn't compare to NYC. At all. Just a lot of electricity on cookie cutter tall buildings.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite
Silkcity, you gotta be kidding. Do you really count Downtown Brooklyn as having a skyline??
No, I'm not kidding. Considering that Brooklyn hasn't been and idependant city since 1898, Brooklyn's downtown district is the third biggest in the city. Making it one of the largest in the nation (I believe 4th or 5th). Brooklyn has much more of a skyline than most major cites, especially out west. Where you'll see nothing but "cookie cutter" skylines. Take LA for example.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,645 times
I SO totally don't agree about Brooklyn, SilkCity.

Los Angeles has lots of very tall buildings. So does Denver and Seattle and even Portland, Oregon. But Brooklyn? The only real tall building it has is the Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower. And maybe the MetroTech Center. But that's it.

I wouldn't even say Brooklyn has a "skyline"! It does have a vibrant downtown, but not tall buildings (until Atlantic Yards comes, that is).

But anyway, this is not about Brooklyn.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
Default nyc

man i say people are dumb 4 comparing any city to new york hong kong wanted to be like nyc 4 years do the research hong kong is nice so is chicago but deep down inside you people know there no skyline like midtown manhattan not even counting downtown' and even jersey city be 4 real those pics dont do it 4 me hong kong you lost 2 gothem city on the island full of skyscrapers old and new only city wit uptown midtown and downtown feel harlem stop puttin up them ugly pics

Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM

172 posts, read 608,939 times
I think New York's skyline is better...I've been to NYC and not to Hong Kong, so maybe my opinion isn't as valid, but I think that New York's skyline is so iconic and really unique that it is better than Hong Kongs skyline...though Hong Kongs isn't shabby either

Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
I have visited both NYC and HK and I think both is outstanding. NYC is definitely more "old school" and just a general sense of history and respect for the City. HK is "new school" but there's nothing like heading to Victoria's Peak and having a great view of the HK skyline from the peak of a mountain. There's more of a unity between nature and city in HK I think because of the mountain surroundings. I love both places tremendously!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Manhattan's skyline is not very impressive. It doesn't have much color. It also has too many old undistinguished buildings. It is not even worthy to compare it with the likes of HK and Dubai.

Chicago is more impressive. It is situated on a nice lake making it one of the most beautiful cities in the world. This is the birthplace of the skyscaper and they do it very well. The Sears Tower is the crown jewel of Chicago. It is like what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Hahah. Downtown Brooklyn, please.

Hong Kong has more tall buildings then NYC. It's also a larger skyline. A much more futuristic, cleaner look then the old gritty NYC skyline. I like Hong Kong's future look.

Dubai will smoke them both though. Haha.

There are a lot of impressive skylines in Asia. Especially in China. Hong Kong isn't the only impressive skyline.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,937 times
Hong Kong. Then again NYC doesn't do a darned thing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World