Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 06:18 PM

54 posts, read 33,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I wouldn't say that at all. If I'm in the NT, Tas, or Victoria, for example, it's pretty apparent where I am in terms of lifestyle, the general vibe, demographics and mindset. Even what's considered "football" is different. Add in the different climates and landscapes and it's not hard at all to know where your are.
The key part of that sentence is "in comparison to American states".

The US is the oldest federation, so...

"the general vibe, mindset", you're obviously casting around for anything concrete here, being overly vague because you don't have a point. The Australian states just don't vary anywhere near as much as the American states do, climatically/geographically, in terms of population and history, culture, or anything. You have one state known for ice Hockey, lutefisk, and ice fishing and another known for Japanese and Mexican fusion food, surfing, and beach resorts. Think of the massive gulf between Maine and Arizona or Montana and Louisiana or New Mexico and New York. There just aren't differences like that within Australia.

Pretty much all of the Australian states are coastal with desert interiors, subtropical or tropical, and have varying degrees of urbanised coastal areas, and ethnic compositions, cultures, and histories that are derivative and overwhelmingly rooted in "white British" ancestral identity in comparison to America, which just isn't the same. And this hardly varies - right across Australia. In every state you're dealing with repurposed British culture, and an environment defined by subtropical or tropical coastline and interior desert. Sure, there are differences - just nowhere near as many.

Quote:
There have also been secessionist movements in Aus. WA tried to secede in the 1930s, but the WW2 experience seems to have put an end to that at least in a serious way. Keep in mind that Australia has only existed as a federation since 1901.
This doesn't even compare to the history of territorial acquirements and the confederacy in America. There is no Australian state with the culture and identity of Florida, Texas, California, even Pennsylvania or New Jersey. Even just doing a cursory Google search, a state like Indiana in the US has a number of associated art and literature movements that are somewhat globally notable, important sporting associations, and a larger economy than a place like WA or SA or the Northern Territory.

Last edited by townhm; 02-28-2023 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 06:27 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townhm View Post

This doesn't even compare to the history of territorial acquirements and the confederacy in America. There is no Australian state with the culture and identity of Florida, Texas, California, even Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
I'd argue Queensland comes pretty close. As would Western Australia.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
The key part of that sentence is "in comparison to American states".

The US is the oldest federation, so...

"the general vibe, mindset", you're obviously casting around for anything concrete here, being overly vague because you don't have a point. The Australian states just don't vary anywhere near as much as the American states do, climatically/geographically, in terms of population and history, culture, or anything. You have one state known for ice Hockey, lutefisk, and ice fishing and another known for Japanese and Mexican fusion food, surfing, and beach resorts. Think of the massive gulf between Maine and Arizona or Montana and Louisiana or New Mexico and New York. There just aren't differences like that within Australia.

Pretty much all of the Australian states are coastal with desert interiors, subtropical or tropical, and have varying degrees of urbanised coastal areas, and ethnic compositions, cultures, and histories that are derivative and overwhelmingly rooted in "white British" ancestral identity in comparison to America, which just isn't the same. And this hardly varies - right across Australia. In every state you're dealing with repurposed British culture, and an environment defined by subtropical or tropical coastline and interior desert. Sure, there are differences - just nowhere near as many.

This doesn't even compare to the history of territorial acquirements and the confederacy in America. There is no Australian state with the culture and identity of Florida, Texas, California, even Pennsylvania or New Jersey.
Have you ever been to Australia?

And yes, I've been to the US.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Have you ever been to Australia?

And yes, I've been to the US.
I live in Australia. I haven't been to the US, but I've researched plenty about it since I was younger. Is what I said wrong? I don't think so. You sound like a bit of a homer.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I'd argue Queensland comes pretty close. As would Western Australia.
It doesn't though.

Why doesn't Queensland warrant a Wikipedia page entirely devoted to it's culture, like California, Texas, or Florida, or Louisiana do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Texas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Louisiana

Western Australia is a complete nonentity in terms of culture compared to any American state as well - I think Colorado or Utah has a more distinct and globally influential culture than Western Australia does.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
It doesn't though.

Why doesn't Queensland warrant a Wikipedia page entirely devoted to it's culture, like California, Texas, or Florida, or Louisiana do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Texas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Louisiana
I mean Queensland sees itself as having a strong state identity. As does WA. The reality is that the difference between states in the US is usually skin deep. The rural city divide is far stronger. An Angeleno will notice a bigger difference in culture between themselves and a rural Californian than they would someone from Dallas.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I mean Queensland sees itself as having a strong state identity. As does WA. The reality is that the difference between states in the US usually skin deep. The rural city divide is far stronger. An Angeleno will notice a bigger difference in culture between themselves and a rural Californian than they would someone from Dallas.
An Angeleno would have a completely different accent and outlook on life than someone from Texas. That isn't even close to accurate. Both states have different histories and different climates and different geographies and different economies and different cuisines. Those differences aren't "skin deep", they're what constitutes cultural differences literally anywhere. In a global context, Queensland and WA are quite insignificant sub-regional entities.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
An Angeleno would have a completely different accent and outlook on life than someone from Texas. That isn't even close to accurate. Both states have different histories and different climates and different geographies and different economies and different cuisines. Those differences aren't "skin deep", they're what constitutes cultural differences literally anywhere. In a global context, Queensland and WA are quite insignificant sub-regional entities.
Maybe when you go there you'll understand what I'm saying.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Maybe when you go there you'll understand what I'm saying.
I don't have to go there to know the obvious differences in history and culture between California and Texas. It's because they're so obvious that I think it's absurd to suggest the differences between California and Texas are "skin deep". How? No they aren't. And no two Australian states are as different.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:48 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
I don't have to go there to know the obvious differences in history and culture between California and Texas. It's because they're so obvious that I think it's absurd to suggest the differences between California and Texas are "skin deep". How? No they aren't. And no two Australian states are as different.
When was the last time your were in Darwin and Hobart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World