Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,199 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Virginia and we are looking to move to Wisconsin. We are planning a trip to Wisconsin for next year to visit the different areas we are interested in.(Green Bay, Appleton, Milwaukee). We don’t have any kids yet so schools aren’t a big concern and we will be looking to live in an apartment starting out. I’ve researched a lot online about the different areas and the next step is to visit in person. I am a CNA and my husband is a CO, I try to keep up with the job openings through the state and surrounding counties of areas we are interested in moving to. This would be our first move out of state and first time living in another state. Is it best to secure a job before moving? I have researched and found a lot of people say yes while just as many others say it isn’t necessary. If one of us can get a job before we move i feel as if that will make things a bit easier on us. What are some things we should do on our trip to help us decide which area to move to? We are both very much aware of the difference in weather in VA and WI and that is something we are very happy about! I’m not sure if our age makes a difference but I am 23 and my husband is 24. We have always wanted to move out of VA and WI is the place we both want to move to for many reasons. Sorry I rambled a little bit. My main question is are there any specific things we should do on our trip to help us decide which area to move to? Also what are pros and cons of living in WI? I know that is a very broad question but it does help my husband and I think about things that may not have crossed our minds. Also any tips for people new to WI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,496 times
Wisconsin is a great state and the towns/cities you mentioned all have their positives. If you are from a larger city, I was originally from Chicago, then Green Bay and Appleton will disappoint you. If you're not, then you will probably like them. Milwaukee has all the great things that big cities have to offer with culture, sports, history, etc and is still pretty affordable.

We live in Madison, which is much smaller than Milwaukee and Chicago, but we absolutely love it. If you are an outdoors person I cannot say enough great things about Madison. There are tons of biking, kayaking and hiking options available.

We moved with only one of us having a job and it was fine. I would suggest getting an AIRbnb in a neighborhood you are considering movign to in order to get a feel for how and where people actually live rather than staying in a hotel. We came to Madison 4 times before finally deciding to move, visiting and staying in different neighborhoods.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Milwaukee or Madison for your ages, unless you're very conservative and absolutely dislike urban areas.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
We moved to the Wausau area 31 years ago from Chicago. We did not have jobs but quickly found them. We had 2 kids when we moved. We love it here. Also don't rule out the LaCrosse or Eau Claire area. Really nice areas.
CNA jobs are pretty easy to find. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 AM

15 posts, read 27,425 times
My wife and I should be relocating to Green Bay the first part of October, coming from Nashville. We're excited. I understand that some people may think that we're leaving a large city and will be disappointed with lack of things to do, but I think it will be quite the opposite. Nashville has gotten too big. Crime is ridiculous. We don't even want to go Downtown for things like 4th of July or NYE because of the hundreds of thousands of people that pack down into there. We are looking for something more suburban yet close enough to decent size area. We researched Green Bay and have decided that we're going to go to De Pere / GB for a year to see what we think.

Personally, I think we will enjoy it more and become more active up there. Plus if we want to be around a large city, we can go to Milwaukee or Chicago.

We're really excited and know that we are "bucking the norm" by moving OUT of Nashville. But we're beyond ready to get out of this place.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:03 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Milwaukee or Madison for your ages, unless you're very conservative and absolutely dislike urban areas.
The poor advice and ignorance of peoples' own states given out on the state forums here never ceases to amaze me.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,199 times
Thank you all for replying! This is my first time ever posting anything in a forum so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Thank you for the positive replies! My husband grew up near Richmond,VA and I grew up in Powhatan,VA which is out in the country and is a conservative area but only an hour away from Richmond. I live for the outdoors. I grew up always going camping, hiking, fishing and hunting. Living in a city area will be a big change for me,but is something I am excited to experience. I have never stayed at an air BnB but I will be sure to look into that while we’re planning our trip! I’ve been a diehard Cheesehead all my life and we root for all the Wisconsin sports teams so that is a bonus for us. We will also look into the Eau Claire and La Crosse areas! We are more than happy to look into more areas then what we originally started with. Good luck and safe travels to you and your wife moving from Nashville to Wisconsin!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 PM

512 posts, read 473,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
The poor advice and ignorance of peoples' own states given out on the state forums here never ceases to amaze me.
I don't think it's poor advice or ignorance. Young people and liberals tend to cluster in urban areas.

Other than that, I do like the Fox Valley region. I do, however, think Milwaukee or Madison would be the best fit for young people living in the state, though.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I don't think it's poor advice or ignorance. Young people and liberals tend to cluster in urban areas.

Other than that, I do like the Fox Valley region. I do, however, think Milwaukee or Madison would be the best fit for young people living in the state, though.

And I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years, around their ages, and I double down on what I said.
It isn't like I don't have first hand experiences living in WI, which I doubt the person critical of me does.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post

It's entirely ignorant. I can rattle off mid-sized cities, including two specifically mentioned in this thread, that are far from "conservative." If you think the quality of life of Milwaukee is superior to these mid-sized cities, you're looking at a very limited number of criteria. I'm glad the original poster seems to be looking at some of these places and is ignoring the bad, misinformed advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin