Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,308 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be moving to the De Pere/Green Bay area next month, and I'm curious what kind of bugs are bad there? Are there certain times of the year that mosquitos are really bad? (if so, any ideas on what might help- they're horrible here in Nashville) Anything in particular I should look out for that is venomous to my dog and cats? Are there more snakes, spiders, scorpions, or ticks in this area than others? I'm only so brave when it comes to bugs, so I want to be prepared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 11:14 AM

746 posts, read 838,426 times
Not too many snakes and no scorpions. Ticks are out there so your pets will need to be checked and maybe wear a tick collar. The biggest nuisance are mosquitoes. This latest batch that came out this week has been the worst all year.

You will learn to wear bug spray when needed and treat your yard with Tempo Ultra SC and it will be bug free. If you have white pines that attract deer flies, Tempo will take care of those also.

I put bunches of white clover in my garage and basement to clear out any spiders.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:59 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,578 times
I am just SW of the GB/DePere area. The lake flies around Lake Winnebago handle most of our mosquito problems but I don't know if you will have those up in GB.

The biggest bug issue is the spiders. We seem to have A LOT of spiders around here. Nothing poisonous, just lots of little ones in the house. I vacuum those up when they have a hatching. I did "smoosh" one in my basement that I thought at first was a mouse because of it's size. I suspect that one was a transplant. When I looked him up online the closest match I could find (to his now smooshed body) was a European House Spider (Tegenaria domestica). I suspect he made his way across the Atlantic on a freighter then road the rails from GB down to here.

Depending on your pets, bees might be an issue. My dog likes to chase bumble bees. He has a swollen cheek right now from trying to chomp one.

I have yet to see a snake here. I do have a mink in my neighborhood, so I suspect it has something to do with the lack of snakes. Minks are native to this area.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:33 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
My husband and I own land in the Northwoods and in spring and summer, especially, the ticks are really bad. But they're easy to find and remove... at least in our experience.

There are some biting flies, too. But after having lived in South Carolina, the little bugs here in Wisconsin don't bother me! No "Palmetto bugs" flying at my face or crawling into the house, no venomous snakes in the grass. When I think of the times I went stomping through tall grass down south, I could kick myself! Here in Wisconsin, I don't give it a second thought.

In November, you might see a few small spiders here and there. Nothing to get alarmed about, thankfully. Hope your move goes well and you enjoy the new locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: