Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

People of Wisconsin or not Wisconsin, I need your perspective on a move we'll be making. My wife and I are young-30's, two kids with plans for more, and are looking to get out of Northwest Atlanta's sweltering hole of traffic, rising housing costs, and... well... something social that's just not there. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's community.

We want to buy land and build a homestead. Currently homeschooling the kids. Organic food-friendly community would be nice. Wouldn't mind a local nerd community. We're not in touch with our inner child, our inner child has taken over, so picking apples and playing video games are neat.

We are conservative Christians, but lean moderate. We just want to avoid places like Asheville, NC or, say, Madison, WI. We would like a Catholic community if we can. We also want a somewhat educated community, but not so much that it's hipster-edgy. Am I describing somewhere in New England? I do like the mind-your-own-business mentality, but I dunno, they seem cold. Wisconsin looks friendlier. They look like they're having more fun too.

We want a place with clean air and water, rolling hills to mountains, snow in Winter and mild Summers, low crime and low drug use, close to a small town with things to see and do(decent coffee, local shops, parks, museum, etc.) and preferably an outdoor activities culture. You know, somewhere the kids can catch salamanders and see deer. Oh yeah and we're on one income and not trust fund babies, so it has to be affordable. Feels like I'm describing a place that's not real. If it helps, I can build a house by hand and was a mechanic for years.

I have looked at Wisconsin for awhile now, but there's no substitute for experience, so help me out. Is Wisconsin a good place for what we're trying to do, and if so, where? If you have any suggestions outside Wisconsin, that's neat too.

We have looked at super-safe, super-affordable places and they look boring. Lookin' at you, Iowa. Like I said, open to suggestions.

We lived in Japan for 3 years, speak multiple languages, have the adventure itch, crave freedom, and lack direction. The alternative to this is buying a ship and sailing the world, so here's my stab at stability. Help me out, internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,266,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmakesitbetter View Post
People of Wisconsin or not Wisconsin, I need your perspective on a move we'll be making. My wife and I are young-30's, two kids with plans for more, and are looking to get out of Northwest Atlanta's sweltering hole of traffic, rising housing costs, and... well... something social that's just not there. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's community.

We want to buy land and build a homestead. Currently homeschooling the kids. Organic food-friendly community would be nice. Wouldn't mind a local nerd community. We're not in touch with our inner child, our inner child has taken over, so picking apples and playing video games are neat.

We are conservative Christians, but lean moderate. We just want to avoid places like Asheville, NC or, say, Madison, WI. We would like a Catholic community if we can. We also want a somewhat educated community, but not so much that it's hipster-edgy. Am I describing somewhere in New England? I do like the mind-your-own-business mentality, but I dunno, they seem cold. Wisconsin looks friendlier. They look like they're having more fun too.

We want a place with clean air and water, rolling hills to mountains, snow in Winter and mild Summers, low crime and low drug use, close to a small town with things to see and do(decent coffee, local shops, parks, museum, etc.) and preferably an outdoor activities culture. You know, somewhere the kids can catch salamanders and see deer. Oh yeah and we're on one income and not trust fund babies, so it has to be affordable. Feels like I'm describing a place that's not real. If it helps, I can build a house by hand and was a mechanic for years.

I have looked at Wisconsin for awhile now, but there's no substitute for experience, so help me out. Is Wisconsin a good place for what we're trying to do, and if so, where? If you have any suggestions outside Wisconsin, that's neat too.

We have looked at super-safe, super-affordable places and they look boring. Lookin' at you, Iowa. Like I said, open to suggestions.

We lived in Japan for 3 years, speak multiple languages, have the adventure itch, crave freedom, and lack direction. The alternative to this is buying a ship and sailing the world, so here's my stab at stability. Help me out, internet!
What you are looking for is arguably a bit of a purple unicorn. There will be multiple tradeoffs when you are choosing to locate as such.

That said, I have friends who did a partial ‘homestead’ in SW WI (the ‘driftless region’). They moved with similar wants from your list, leading them to build their own house about 30 minutes south of LaCrosse.

IMHO at least being a couple hours from Madison could still give you a little more of the trappings not necessarily found nearby in the sticks.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,322,234 times
It sounds like you may want to be near a medium or small city with a college. Perhaps look into La Crosse, Green Bay, Osh Kosh, River Falls. Perhaps even Whitewater, Ripon, and places like that, but they may be too small.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
Low drug use is going to be a difficult one to find, though you may not see it.

And yes, super safe super affordable places will be boring. If it was an enjoyable place to live, that attracts more people (therefore more crime) and drives prices up. Can't really have both.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:25 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,902,543 times
Sounds like some farm land near a bigger city might be a good place for you. I know a guy in Philips WI doing exactly what you want to do, but I guess you don't need to go that far away from civilization...

Old 09-05-2018, 05:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,181,193 times
Sounds like The Driftless Area of WI is what you want. Many organic farms (topography doesn't lend itself well to large scale row cropping) and has several artsy-craftsy communities (fer instance: https://wormfarminstitute.org/ )

Small towns with a penchant for festivals and many college towns. Madison isn't far away (remember the arrow of time only points one way, and the older you get, the less you look outward for entertainment & satisfaction).

We're FIBs, retired to WI and are putting finishing touches on our self-built house/homestead and loving it.

This PBS show features a different community every week and may give you a feel for opportunities: https://www.pbs.org/show/around-corner-john-mcgivern/ (particularly Viroqua in The Driftless Area https://www.pbs.org/video/viroqua-705-fmy9cg/

Good luck.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 09-05-2018 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
The Driftless Area has LOTS of meth. That said, no avoiding drugs for the most part these days.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The Driftless Area has LOTS of meth. That said, no avoiding drugs for the most part these days.
Source?

Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,181,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Source?

Are you questioning his credibility.... or are you in the market?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Are you questioning his credibility.... )
Yes, or at least the source of that data.

Currently meth is not as big of a problem in SW WI like it is in NW WI, west of Eau Claire toward the Twin cities (a huge hub for Meth from Mexico). Trempaleau County may be an exception though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin