Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 PM

41 posts, read 135,121 times

Advertisements

Living north of Eau Claire, when anyone says their going up north, they mean Canada, and in most cases it's to go fishing. And, its some of the best fresh water fishing you will ever experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:11 PM

306 posts, read 336,362 times
North of Highway 8 - I generally think this because that's when 51 turns to two lanes. However, I feel that Tomahawk has a northern feel, and can be considered northwoods.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The areas of mixed-forest trending more boreal, Canadian Shield geological soils, lakes, and balsam fir trees being very common. 45N latitude northward is the region defined as northern Wisconsin- north of Wausau.
Depends what part of the state you're talking about. Thirty miles north of Wausau is certainly getting close to the Northwoods, but thirty miles north of Green Bay is certainly not the Northwoods. Oconto/Oconto Falls/Shawano is not by any stretch of the imagination the Northwoods. Even up by Coleman isn't th Northwoods, though it's a nice area.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,149 times
Guess everyone's definition of up north is different. My personal opinion is that the landscape physically looks less like farms and fields and more like forestlike wilderness with lakes everywhere. That being the case i would have to say you have to at least be north of Hwy 8. I've been traveling back and forth between south and north wi for 9 years and the general consensus is usually the latitude around Hwy 8. Population thins and wilderness begins.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,149 times
Of course I've been to Alaska twice so that gives you a different perspective on what "the north" would be. Many areas up near border in Vilas county are very similar to areas in Alaska except for the lack of mountains. Many lakes, bogs, towering pines and spruce, (absolutely no farms and cows)...to me that is what denotes "up north"

Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 AM

170 posts, read 176,573 times
The travel map makers say this is Northern Wisconsin...

"Description:
This map shows cities, towns, counties, interstate highways, U.S. highways, state highways, main roads, secondary roads, rivers and lakes in Northern Wisconsin. "

Map of Northern Wisconsin

Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM

747 posts, read 838,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
The travel map makers say this is Northern Wisconsin...

"Description:
This map shows cities, towns, counties, interstate highways, U.S. highways, state highways, main roads, secondary roads, rivers and lakes in Northern Wisconsin. "

Map of Northern Wisconsin

Not even close. I live in SE Wisconsin and my town is on this map.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
There are areas south of highway 8 that are the Northwoods no doubt. The town of Tomahawk in Lincoln County has plenty of spruce/fir bogs, and mostly northern forests of fir and pine. Tomahawk airport routinely records some of the colder low temperatures in the state, 37F there this morning. Even though I’m very familiar with the Northwoods, the weather can toss out curve balls. In July, I was driving south on 51 to Merrill and fog rolled out from a nearby bog into the highway- creating near zero visibility. The absurdly hazardous aspect to this is the fact that local roads have “turnoffs” from the four lane highway. So, you have vehicles that can cross the portion of the rd to the center portion to get to the other side. Poor design with that local climate...

Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 PM

170 posts, read 176,573 times
Portage. It says “Where the North Begins,” on a sign on the city’s edge.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Growing up my whole life in Milwaukee, I used to think Oshkosh and Appleton was "up north". Now I don't even consider Shawno or Eau Claire "up north" I'm with GS on this one, HWY 8 is a good line but there are places like Black River Falls that feel like up north. BTW I don't consider Door County up north at all, it's basically Northern IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin