Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM

80 posts, read 147,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I just heard from a neighbor with family in Ashland that property crime has been increasing and home/garage/car break-ins are becoming more frequent. The area is beautiful but the economy is not awesome up there and drug use has been increasing, hence the break-ins with desperate folks looking for cash and other valuables. Doesn't sound like an area I'd want to live. However, I'm not an expert on Ashland, so do your own due diligence about the area before committing.

As another poster has said, Ashland is rather remote and likely will be much tougher if/when you need to find a different job. Sheboygan would give you access to the Milwaukee metro to the south, which would provide a much better employment safety net, although that commute would stink, especially in winter.
Thanks for the head's-up. Unfortunately, the same is true in rural New Hampshire. Such crimes have jumped in my small city (about 13K people,) too. A huge jump in drug addictions and, thus, drug-related crimes. Very scary and concerning no matter where you go nowadays. Luckily, we also have great gun laws here and hoping it's not too bad in WI. As for the remote part, yeah, we are very much used to that here in rural NH. We are definitely interested in Sheboygan, but the proximity to Milwaukee makes me a little nervous (bigger city than I'm used to,) but I expect there is plenty of country in the outskirts and it's far enough away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinNH View Post
Thanks for the head's-up. Unfortunately, the same is true in rural New Hampshire. Such crimes have jumped in my small city (about 13K people,) too. A huge jump in drug addictions and, thus, drug-related crimes. Very scary and concerning no matter where you go nowadays. Luckily, we also have great gun laws here and hoping it's not too bad in WI. As for the remote part, yeah, we are very much used to that here in rural NH. We are definitely interested in Sheboygan, but the proximity to Milwaukee makes me a little nervous (bigger city than I'm used to,) but I expect there is plenty of country in the outskirts and it's far enough away.

Wisconsin has decent gun laws (I heard statistically each family owns 1 firearm here). We're on a brink to permit-free concealed carry (and it takes about 5 days to take your permit otherwise). I saw a number of business owners (or just regular people) casually open-carry (or not conceal it too hard) and no one raises any alarm or calls the police (I did it too and it was not a problem at all).

Milwaukee ain't bad either. My parents-in-law just bought a house in the "bad part of the city where black people kill white people for fun", and they just like it. Actually lots of mixed families, or older white people for neighbors, totally friendly to them, kids playing on the street and generally quiet (especially at night).
One house in the neighborhood got burglarized, but it can happen anywhere if you'd leave your house for long without any alarm, right? I had a friend who owns a business in the "center of evil" (somewhere around 30th and Center street), and he's white, and there's lots of traffic, but I don't think he has ever had any problems there....

So, even Milwaukee isn't that bad in the global scheme of things. Sheboygan is nice too. Ashland might actually be charming for you with your background...

Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Heroin/opioid addiction is turning a lot of suburban/exurban/rural folk into addicts and then thieves to support the addiction. It's happening all over the country, unfortunately.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
If you are looking for more rural, forested area the Ashland/Superior area is going to be much more to your liking. Sheboygan is located between Green Bay/Appleton and Milwaukee, the entire area is very populated and becoming even more so each year. In the northern part of the state you will find the Chequamegon National Forest, plus the Apostle Islands and many more outdoor recreation areas.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
I live closer to Wausau and about 2.5 hours south of Ashland. I like Ashland because of its location to Lake Superior. To me Superior is the wild child lake and I appreciate it. If you are looking for rural that is your best bet. Bayfield is not far and absolutely beautiful.
My sister lives in Plymouth close to Sheboyagan and she really likes it.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 AM

279 posts, read 760,118 times
Ashland in not a particularly great city. Known for a lot of teen drug use and there is little to do there. In general the tourist areas of northern wisconsin, while very nice to visit and have beautiful scenery to offer, are terrible places to live. Most do not invest in education and younger children tend to dislike it and get into trouble. Economic conditions up there are rather poor as well.

There are many places in the state I would recommend before Ashland. It helps to be nearer to a larger city and it certainly does not have that.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 PM

80 posts, read 147,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
Ashland in not a particularly great city. Known for a lot of teen drug use and there is little to do there. In general the tourist areas of northern wisconsin, while very nice to visit and have beautiful scenery to offer, are terrible places to live. Most do not invest in education and younger children tend to dislike it and get into trouble. Economic conditions up there are rather poor as well.

There are many places in the state I would recommend before Ashland. It helps to be nearer to a larger city and it certainly does not have that.
Thanks for the feedback! It sounds a lot like the small city I live in here in New Hampshire -- except it's bigger! Sadly, we also have issues with idle youth. Not a whole lot for them to do during the long winters. I do hear that the schools are good up there and there is a college in town.

Lately, my bigger fear is how winter is up there. It sounds like it's even colder than here in NH, but not as much snow (we average around 70 inches a year.) We don't necessarily want to go someplace with a WORSE winter (hard to imagine, as it's so bad here,) but might have to adjust to the idea and, at least, we are used to it. We'll find out in July!

Thanks, everyone!

Old 06-26-2017, 05:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! It sounds a lot like the small city I live in here in New Hampshire -- except it's bigger! Sadly, we also have issues with idle youth. Not a whole lot for them to do during the long winters. I do hear that the schools are good up there and there is a college in town.

Lately, my bigger fear is how winter is up there. It sounds like it's even colder than here in NH, but not as much snow (we average around 70 inches a year.) We don't necessarily want to go someplace with a WORSE winter (hard to imagine, as it's so bad here,) but might have to adjust to the idea and, at least, we are used to it. We'll find out in July!

Thanks, everyone!

Having been born and raised in New England (mostly living in MA and northern VT) and spending time on the Superior coastline in winter for work... It's worse in Northern WI.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Having been born and raised in New England (mostly living in MA and northern VT) and spending time on the Superior coastline in winter for work... It's worse in Northern WI.
People are very adaptive, can live even in Antarctica...

Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ashland average temperatures are somewhat moderated due to proximity to Lake Superior and lower elevation. The Northern Highland region of northern Wisconsin away form Lake Superior, (Rhinelander, Eagle River, Hayward, Tomahawk), is quite a bit colder and at a higher elevation. Northern Wisconsin is more directly comparable in climate to central and northern Maine and the Adirondacks of NY state compared to south-central NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin