Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM

29 posts, read 101,537 times

Advertisements

I am from Mississippi, trying to "move up the ladder" in my career. I moved (at my own expense) from the Memphis, TN IRS to the Andover, MA IRS on "New Years Eve 2007"---just a "stepping stone" in my career. Exactly one year later, I have now qualified for the position I was working to get to, and the job is located in either Martinsburg or Kearneysville---I'm not sure where the IRS is located there. Any one know? I will have to move there (again, at my own expense), and am looking for rental property----preferably a house and NOT an apartment---I have my husband and 3 children, ages 4, 10, and 13. Can anyone provide help on where the IRS is located, and any possibilities for rentals---close to work, but not in a neighborhood that my children would not be safe in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM

8 posts, read 45,070 times
Plenty of Townhouses for rent in the entire area. I can give you more specifics if you could put in a word for me at the IRS . I have applied twice and never heard anything. Strange because I have a college degree and live extremely close to the facility. I think it's one of those things where they post jobs but end up filling them internally anyway. Who knows, maybe you are the one who got the position I applied for lol. Anyway, try Hammonds Mill subdivision as well as Brookfield. They are in Falling Waters which is north of martinsburg, real close to MD. Keep your eye on Craigslist, as they post a lot of local real estate on there, sometimes rentals.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 PM

20 posts, read 85,050 times
The good thing is - you are interested in renting a townhouse or house. Apartments are scarce here especially if you don't income qualify. I would get recommendations from future co-workers for a real estate agent in the area that is good. I don't know if I can do that here. They will be very helpful in directing you to rentals. My neighborhood (Laurel Ridge) is right off of I-81 and has townhomes and houses for rent. I believe there is a townhome community that is managed by a property management company - Pheasant Ridge. But again there should be plenty of private landlord rentals. I believe you will be working off of Rt. 9 East (going toward Charles Town). Hope that helps! We are getting ready to move ourselves and I will REALLY miss this area.
-D

Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitvizionz View Post
Plenty of Townhouses for rent in the entire area. I can give you more specifics if you could put in a word for me at the IRS . I have applied twice and never heard anything. Strange because I have a college degree and live extremely close to the facility. I think it's one of those things where they post jobs but end up filling them internally anyway. Who knows, maybe you are the one who got the position I applied for lol. Anyway, try Hammonds Mill subdivision as well as Brookfield. They are in Falling Waters which is north of martinsburg, real close to MD. Keep your eye on Craigslist, as they post a lot of local real estate on there, sometimes rentals.
I live in the Brookfield subdivision and there are no houses or townhouse rentals. I know there are townhouse subdivisions that are all rentals and also a housing community, I can't remember the name of it but you can see it off of I-81. I know there are plenty of houses that people need to get out of and will rent because they can't sell, not sure on what the rent would be though. I know when I was looking for short term rental there was a townhouse community near Stonebridge and the rent was around $1100.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
the IRS site is located between martinsburg and charles town, sitting off of route 9. closer to martinsburg than charles town. i live in charles town, and can't offer much data on martinsburg.

you would be fairly close to several neighborhoods, but even driving into martinsburg or charles town wouldn't be too bad.

route 9 is currently being expanded from 2 lane to 4 lane between charles town and martinsburg. much of jefferson and berkeley counties are bedroom communities for DC, and you'll find that many of your neighbors disappear for work very early in the morning.

i've enjoyed living in jefferson county for the past 6 years. traffic isn't bad, people are friendly and the quality of living is good. there is bad with the good, as in all places.

hope that everything works out for you.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM

6 posts, read 22,530 times
I'm from MS, too! But live in FL now. I'm planning a move to WV as soon as I find the job and the location! Tall order, huh! Just wanted to wish you luck. Maybe we should start a MS delegation in WV!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSISSIPPI GIRL IN MASS View Post
I am from Mississippi, trying to "move up the ladder" in my career. I moved (at my own expense) from the Memphis, TN IRS to the Andover, MA IRS on "New Years Eve 2007"---just a "stepping stone" in my career. Exactly one year later, I have now qualified for the position I was working to get to, and the job is located in either Martinsburg or Kearneysville---I'm not sure where the IRS is located there. Any one know? I will have to move there (again, at my own expense), and am looking for rental property----preferably a house and NOT an apartment---I have my husband and 3 children, ages 4, 10, and 13. Can anyone provide help on where the IRS is located, and any possibilities for rentals---close to work, but not in a neighborhood that my children would not be safe in?
If you want a good rental, try Elm Tree Townhouses.
They are on the Northside off Rt 11. Granted it is about 12 miles from the IRS building but very nice places.

Kearneysville, eehh. I lived in that area once many moons ago.
There has been large developments placed close to the VA and IRS off Rt 9 and with the housing market they could possibly have some rentals.

Where are you at in Mass. You are either going to enjoy your move or not.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitvizionz View Post
How have you applied? Through job fair, USA jobs, IRS testing? If you search USA JOBS, those are usually the ones that they don't hire internally. I've been watching Craigslist, however its been just condos, apartments, or townhouses. I would love a house, and again--I just plan on renting--not buying, yet anyway! Thanks for the info!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Thank you for the neighborhoods to check into! Good luck in your move!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I live in the Brookfield subdivision and there are no houses or townhouse rentals. I know there are townhouse subdivisions that are all rentals and also a housing community, I can't remember the name of it but you can see it off of I-81. I know there are plenty of houses that people need to get out of and will rent because they can't sell, not sure on what the rent would be though. I know when I was looking for short term rental there was a townhouse community near Stonebridge and the rent was around $1100.
Thank you to everyone for all of the information! I am printing this all, and checking into all of the recommendations!! Once I know more info about when I'm coming, I'll probably have lots more questions!! Also looking for a local newspaper that may have rentals????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia