Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 04:22 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else find that speeches at weddings are generally annoying and drawn out? Especially when they're weepy? The worst I saw was a weepy best man. I was embarrassed for him.

Anyone else generally not like the speeches? Ever listened to any particularly painful ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 07:26 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
Keep the speech short, it’s best not to try too much humor.

Practice the speech ahead of time.

Hope it’s ok to add: Keep vows short, too ! People don’t want a snooze fest!

Old 01-19-2024, 08:04 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
I don't recall hearing any long speeches at weddings but have heard many a long speech at wedding receptions via a part time gig for years. And yes, the vast majority of them should have ended earlier and had a Howard "Sandman" Sims character (the Apollo Theater 'roust-er' of bad acts with a hooked cane) to take the microphone and remove from proceedings.

In most cases the long stories only are meaningful to a few people attending and the things they tend to 'reveal" are not usually complimentary nor funny. They are generally like sharing an old inside joke or experience among peers to a larger audience who usually could care less.

I do recall one where the groomsman did a hilarious 'roast' of said groom via a series of props/gifts for him and the bride based upon their knowledge of his 'character' that was entertaining. Most are not.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:01 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
In the 1980s and 1990s I was a minister, during that era I celebrated around three dozen weddings. It was a lot of fun, as I dreaded doing funerals. I found that from timing the ceremony, from the end of the procession, through the vows and blessing, up to the moment the couple is walking down the aisle married, the entire process took 7 minutes. We were adding anything into it to drag it out a bit. A soloist, a poem, a music recital, some couples want a candle lighting,

I have found that 99% of people when asked to give a speech will try to 'wing it', no preparation, no thought out words, nothing written down. And that annoys me. If you agree to give a speech, write it down, practice it, ask for advice so that it sounds polished.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:07 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Does anyone else find that speeches at weddings are generally annoying and drawn out? Especially when they're weepy? The worst I saw was a weepy best man. I was embarrassed for him.

Anyone else generally not like the speeches? Ever listened to any particularly painful ones?
The wedding?
Or do you mean the reception?

Not been witness to annoying, drawn out, weepy speeches at weddings.

The receptions I have been to did toasts that were just a few sentences long. Some serious, some playful, all good.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Not as bad as when the groomsmen and bridesmaids do a skit, like one I went to recently. There was a lot of “inside humor”:that only they really understood and found funny.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:54 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The wedding?
Or do you mean the reception?

Not been witness to annoying, drawn out, weepy speeches at weddings.

The receptions I have been to did toasts that were just a few sentences long. Some serious, some playful, all good.
I meant to say the reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not as bad as when the groomsmen and bridesmaids do a skit, like one I went to recently. There was a lot of “inside humor”:that only they really understood and found funny.
A skit sounds painful.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:38 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Yes, long speeches are a buzz kill.

I've been to a lot of weddings (I play in a wedding band), as well as my own, and those of numerous friends.

Keep it short, make it humorous or at least interesting, then get the heck off the microphone. The bride & groom and 200 other people aren't interested in your dumb speech.

That said, I've heard some pretty entertaining speeches and toasts over the years. Sadly, my own wedding not included. M-I-L recited a cringeworthy poem she concocted for the occasion. F-I-L told some really lameass jokes until the band leader/emcee basically dragged him away, promising "he'll be back by popular acclaim" (the band leader's done a lot of weddings, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings