Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:30 PM

538 posts, read 385,510 times

Advertisements

My friend for her second marriage decided she wants to get married on an island in Florida and expects all her family had friends to go. We can’t afford it this year. Plain tickets, hotel, wedding gift etc....her sister has 5 kids and they can’t afford to go either. My other friend did something similar for her 3rd wedding. I think it’s a bit selfish to expect family and friends to all be able to afford all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 AM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My friend for her second marriage decided she wants to get married on an island in Florida and expects all her family had friends to go. We can’t afford it this year. Plain tickets, hotel, wedding gift etc....her sister has 5 kids and they can’t afford to go either. My other friend did something similar for her 3rd wedding. I think it’s a bit selfish to expect family and friends to all be able to afford all this.
Is there a question in here? Tell her you wish her the best and send her a gift, but tell her you can't afford to attend. Doesn't matter which wedding it is.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,041 times
Quote:
Just let them know.

FWIW, I agree with you. It doesn’t matter which wedding it is. Expecting people to travel to fancy places is ridiculous IMO.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Personally I think having a big thing for a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever wedding is a little tacky. Maybe if the first wedding was at a JOP I could understand it but these people that go crazy with subsequent weddings are delusional.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
They should just go and do their thing, but not expect others to go along.

This happened to us. When we could least afford it. My niece wanted to get married on the beach in Nantucket, even though they had already gotten married at city hall. Since it was important to my sister, we went, but we weren’t happy about it.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:36 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Destination weddings are a dilemma even when it's the first marriage. (I posted my own thread about my nephew's fiancee insisting on being married in Charleston when both families, and much of the extended family, live in Charlotte.) The couple has to understand that not everyone can afford the extra travel costs, vacation time, hotels, etc. You do what you can and if it's out of the question, you tell them, "Sorry- that's not in the budget".

Last week I attended the second wedding of two wonderful people who had both been widowed a few years ago, but in their late 60s. She wore a long dress in pearl grey, it was a full church ceremony and they have a very nice reception afterwards, with over 100 people. They both looked radiant. So, yes, they went all out but it was local. Big difference.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:

You're really talking about two separate things.

1) Destination Weddings are basically for narcissists. Hey, it's one thing if just the two of you want to stand on a hillside in Italy or a beach in the Caribbean with your beloved and say your vows. It's another thing entirely if you expect that your family and friends show up for the thing. It's expensive, it entails extra travel time, and you're essentially dictating to a entire group of people what their vacation is going to be for the year, versus just flying or driving somewhere and staying at a Hampton Inn for a couple of nights. Plus that kind of travel could impose a serious hardship to older family members. Anyone who has ever had to shepherd an 85-year-old through an airport will know exactly what I mean.

2) If you've been married once, you had your opportunity for the Blow It Out wedding ceremony. Hey, throw a party, but don't try to create the magic of your special day all over again, only with a different co-star.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:22 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My friend’s son is getting married (wife #2) in Bali in March. Nobody else is going, but they will have a local reception for friends later.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Personally I think having a big thing for a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever wedding is a little tacky. Maybe if the first wedding was at a JOP I could understand it but these people that go crazy with subsequent weddings are delusional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
2) If you've been married once, you had your opportunity for the Blow It Out wedding ceremony. Hey, throw a party, but don't try to create the magic of your special day all over again, only with a different co-star.

WOW there are some judgemental people around here!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
WOW there are some judgemental people around here!
But honestly, I agree with them. The first time you vowed to be together til death do you part, and then that didn't work out, and we all get that.

I don't know how many times more friends and family have to stand there and toast to you saying you'll be together till death do you part.

2nd and 3rd and more weddings should be more modest than the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings