Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,767 times

Advertisements

I've made a new map - based on the launch of the successful Neighborhood-O-Meter Maps made for Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties down in South Florida - covering all neighborhoods and areas within the District of Columbia rated by general quality of life/desirability (including crime, poverty rates, sex offences, and a few other matters as factors also).

This should be useful to a great number of people relocating or thinking of relocating (or already living in the D.C. Metro Area) to somewhere within Washington, D.C.

Important Notes: There are a few issues still present in the map, and some I even am aware of already that the rating on the map should be changed - will implement these within the next 1-2 days at most.

Feedback/comments to make further updates/improvements soon on the map are very appreciated. It's an ongoing project.

The Neighborhood-O-Meter of D.C.: Neighborhood-O-Meter of the District of Columbia (DC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Quick note: Thread title was going to be: Map with all the Neighborhoods of the District of Columbia rated by quality of life/crime/+ other factors - Neighborhood-O-Meter Map

(That title didn't fit, it was too big - that's why there's "the DC" on the current title (forgot to remove "the" - plus it's "the" as in "the District")

Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM

66 posts, read 173,318 times
Really? Trinidad gets a worse color than Deanwood? Have you ever even been to any of these neighborhoods?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
And SW DC next to the ballpark is "red"? It's not that bad.
There are definitely some major problems with the methodology here.

Last edited by stateofnature; 09-09-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM

You should really rethink making maps like this about places you've obviously never been to. If you lived in DC you'd see how laughably inaccurate this is. I'm from Florida like you, and trust me, it takes years of living here to really get a feel for all the neighborhoods. Things change a lot faster here than they do in Florida.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Yep, and I understand that. Although I've been to DC not that long ago.

But that's why I'm posting it here. The map is nearly fully tecnocratic and based on technical/factual analysis. It has these, and other errors. That's why I need feedback from a local perspective, so that the map can be improved and it can become something properly useful to people relocating to DC here on the forum.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM

That's exactly my point, though- you really aren't the person to create something useful for people relocating to DC. Your map needs so many corrections and lacks so much depth that I couldn't even begin to correct it. This is a complex town in the middle of a dramatic socio-economic swing, which is why a technocratic analysis is not useful. And there is something objectively wrong with a pure technocratic analysis that posits that Deanwood is a nicer place to move to than Trinidad. Have you looked at real estate values? Walkscores? Google streetview? Neighborhood blogs? Future commercial/residential real estate development plans? Placement of public housing? The broad swathes of each color also don't reflect the inherently block-by-block nature of DC neighborhoods. In any of those color chunks one block could be dramatically safer/more livable than another. I have lived in neighborhoods you call dark green, blue, and red and only one of your assessments is accurate. The other two are downright bizarre.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrynn View Post
That's exactly my point, though- you really aren't the person to create something useful for people relocating to DC. Your map needs so many corrections and lacks so much depth that I couldn't even begin to correct it. This is a complex town in the middle of a dramatic socio-economic swing, which is why a technocratic analysis is not useful. And there is something objectively wrong with a pure technocratic analysis that posits that Deanwood is a nicer place to move to than Trinidad. Have you looked at real estate values? Walkscores? Google streetview? Neighborhood blogs? Future commercial/residential real estate development plans? Placement of public housing? The broad swathes of each color also don't reflect the inherently block-by-block nature of DC neighborhoods. In any of those color chunks one block could be dramatically safer/more livable than another. I have lived in neighborhoods you call dark green, blue, and red and only one of your assessments is accurate. The other two are downright bizarre.
So your suggestion is simply to leave this alone and destroy the map just because it has facts and base on the P.D.'s information and the U.S. Census (for example)? And that's supposed to make sense. I'm sorry, but that's not constructive, let's be reasonable. Technical data & factual data matters significantly (but not 100% nor near it, obviously) too; they don't have any bias or neighborhood pride or whatever (which some people do have - especially on the forums).

Public housing placement is one of the things that's being done currently and will be shown on the map actually.

So, to make it proper, just show what (what areas & neighborhoods) do you think are quite incorrect now and what's proper (or relatively/mostly fine - as there will always be variances on opinion from person to person). Just a sum up of them would help a lot. Then I'll fix it and you can check back and you give your opinion after the changes are implemented.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM

132 posts, read 355,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
And SW DC next to the ballpark is "red"? It's not that bad.
There are definitely some major problems with the methodology here.
I would code that block of SW (N. Buzzard Point) next to the Ballpark as yellow and the adjacent Navy Yard area as light blue.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCadvocate View Post
I would code that block of SW (N. Buzzard Point) next to the Ballpark as yellow and the adjacent Navy Yard area as light blue.
Thanks, I'll review it quickly and make the changes accordingly into the map. That's the sort of suggestions/feedback I'm looking for. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC