Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 03:08 PM

185 posts, read 114,015 times

Advertisements

I realize this is bad timing to post this today with people being busy with Labor Day but if anyone does see this and knows a good answer, I'd appreciate a reply asap. I have an initial interview tomorrow for a job in DC. Truthfully, I would really rather not take it (great opportunity but logistical problems) but I should least hear them out. It's a federal job, so I'm sure the salary will be awful but the benefits good. I'm sure the topic of salary will come up - it always does - and normally I try to deflect it to the asker and get them to throw out a number first but I still need an idea of what type of salary is actually needed to live in DC comfortably (single so only household income coming in would be mine).

I considered another position in DC years ago so I did a little homework but that around 2018. One recruiter told me you can't live in the DC area comfortably without making at least 6 figures; another said you'd have to commute from Virginia or Maryland but I have health issues and cannot manage another arduous commute or at least would really prefer not to. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is it do-able to live there on less than 6 figures? Any thoughts on this ASAP would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 03:21 PM

187 posts, read 363,678 times
The average 1br in DC is $2150. Thus, $80k would be doable.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:15 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
if it's a federal job the salary should already be posted. They don't negotiate if it's a GS level job. Federal retirements used to be great, not anymore.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
If you're going below $100k stay above $90k at least. Tbh that's even quite middle class for a good area in DC proper to live a certain standard of a comfortable lifestyle. You could stay in a close in suburb like Silver Spring/ Takoma Park also for easy commute.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:47 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Obviously depends on your own situation. If you have zero debt of $200K in debt then the answer will be different. If you have zero kids or 5 kids then the answer will be different. You're going to have to look at your own budget and see what salary is needed to sustain what you view to be a "comfortable" lifestyle. If you don't have kids, debt, a hefty car lease, etc. then you certainly don't need six figures to live comfortably by most people's definition. Most people here do NOT make that much.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
I considered another position in DC years ago so I did a little homework but that around 2018.
One recruiter told me you can't live in the DC area comfortably without making at least 6 figures;
another said you'd have to commute from Virginia or Maryland ...
100% concur so far.
Quote:
...but I have health issues and cannot manage another arduous commute or at least would really prefer not to.
Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is it do-able to live there on less than 6 figures?
It depends on EXACTLY where that tree you're barking up is located.
It's conceivable you might be able to thread the several (sequential) needles and live close to work and 'on the cheap' too..
But I wouldn't suggest planning a life EXPECTING it all to come together at the outset.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:33 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
I realize this is bad timing to post this today with people being busy with Labor Day but if anyone does see this and knows a good answer, I'd appreciate a reply asap. I have an initial interview tomorrow for a job in DC. Truthfully, I would really rather not take it (great opportunity but logistical problems) but I should least hear them out. It's a federal job, so I'm sure the salary will be awful but the benefits good.
Federal job does not equate to awful salary. It depends on the type of job and position you’re working in.

There are a lot of federal jobs that pay $180K or more with overtime. That’s not exactly chump change.

But I agree you will not start there at the entry level. You will have to work your way up.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:43 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
It may be worth taking less salary if the federal agency you're interviewing with provides a telework option. With telework, you may be able to live well outside of the DC suburbs. For instance, I know a lady who worked from home 4 days per week. On the 5th day, she commuted to downtown Baltimore from her home near Rehoboth Beach, DE. She is from Baltimore County and decided to move near the beach several years before she retired. Of course, her boss signed off on her move.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:44 PM

269 posts, read 181,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if it's a federal job the salary should already be posted. They don't negotiate if it's a GS level job. Federal retirements used to be great, not anymore.
You can’t negotiate on the job posted GS level (11, 12, 13, etc), but you can negotiate which step you come in IF you coming from the outside. And yes, benefits ain’t what it cracks up to be. Even tho you get pension (albeit small), you do HAVE to pay into it. For current new employees it’s around 3% of your salary.

Old 09-19-2023, 03:15 PM

185 posts, read 114,015 times
Thanks for all the replies. The job isn't entry level and it is hybrid so no option for 100% telework. I did hear back from the interviewer that yes, federal salary ranges are fixed. I'm waiting to hear back on their final decision but I don't think this one is going to work out so it's a moot point now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland